Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Was 4 year old girl vaccinated or had any preexisting conditions?

Report Completed1

171 Confirmed COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 22, 2022

Female = 54 (31.58%)
Male = 117 (68.42%)

Age Distribution

90s = 34 (19.88%)
80s = 56 (32.75%)
70s = 36 (20.05%)
60s = 31 (18.13%)
50s = 5 (2.92%)
40s = 5 (2.92%)
30s = 2 (1.17%)
10s = 1 (0.58%)
Under 5 = 1 (0.58%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 73 (42.69%)
1 = 18 (10.53%)
2 = 20 (11.70%)
3 = 58 (33.92%)
4 = 2 (1.17%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 158 (92.40%)
None = 13 (7.60%) - Nine had 0 vaccine doses and four had 3 vaccine doses.

Click to see detailed cases report

3 Likes

3 Likes

Very sad. Iā€™m selfishly glad I got my 5 year old vaccinated. This thing isnā€™t as harmless for kids as some would like to pretend.

10 Likes

Thereā€™s a whole thread dedicated to that!

Guy

5 Likes

Youā€™re seriously buying into this shit?

My eleven year old had the vaccine because she wanted it. I respected her decision, but I gently explained the level of nonsense we are buying into.

6 Likes

Yes, I am. You may disagree with me, but Iā€™m surprised by your hostile tone. Encephalitis is no joke. Fwiw, 11 year olds arenā€™t anywhere near as susceptible to that type of complication as those in the 0-5 year old range. Iā€™m not in favor of mandates or anything like that. For me and my family itā€™s the right decision; for peace of mind, if nothing else.

7 Likes

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought you were surporting getting your child vaccinated.

ā€œIā€™m selfishly glad I got my 5 year old vaccinated. This thing isnā€™t as harmless for kids as some would like to pretend.ā€

I donā€™t understand what youā€™re saying here. My 5 year old did get vaccinated. She actually wanted to. We also want her to be in school without worrying about when (not if) she does get COVID. Even if thereā€™s a less-than-one percent chance of encephalitis, Iā€™d rather not have that weigh on me. Vaccines greatly reduce chances of complications for kids her age when it comes to MIS-C and encephalitis; something like 90%.

If I had a preteen, like you, I wouldnā€™t be as worried as there isnā€™t a rash of deaths in that age group. But there have been about a dozen kids 5 and under (without preexisting conditions) who have died from encephalitis or other complications. Why roll the dice?

9 Likes

I didnā€™t know there had been so many. I donā€™t think there have been a dozen. Hopefully I am right.

Where are you getting that vaccines reduce the chances of encephalitis by 90 percent for five year olds from?

Why do you care so much what other people do?

As Drew said itā€™s not a matter of if but when they are infected.

1 Like

Six from encephalitis, and then another several from MIS-C, sepsis and pneumonia.

Sorry, the 90% reduction was for the broader condition of MIS-C (basically multi organ failure). I donā€™t know if that includes encephalitis, which is inflammation of the brain. In any event, you donā€™t want your child getting that either.

"The risk of children getting MIS-C can be reduced by more than 90 percent with just one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine," Lo said.

2 Likes

Anyone know how many 0 to 5YO died from encephalitis complications per month before Covid?

Why donā€™t you find out for us? Itā€™s a rare complication with influenza, so Iā€™m sure some did. However, if itā€™s also a complication with COVID, which weā€™re all going to get at some point, why take unnecessary risks?

3 Likes

Has your kid been going to school all through the last couple of months? If she has, Iā€™d put money on her already having had it.

The place where I work, we suddenly went from nothing to half the class having it. For a month, classes were opening and stopping and kids were out sick. In every class there was a third who kept coming ( when the class was open) and never got sick. And then it stopped. In the last monthā€¦ā€¦zero cases. Why would the cases stop when a third of kids hadnā€™t had it? I donā€™t think any young kid who has been going to school these past two months hasnā€™t had it. Not in Taipei anyway.

I donā€™t know. Itā€™s such a weird disease. I know of nothing else in which such a large percentage of cases are asymptomatic in contrast to a sliver who have disastrous outcomes. My daughter goes to a private kindy not subject to the citywide shutdowns, so weā€™ve been encouraging her to go since she got her shot but just today her class had a confirmed case so they shut down again.

Iā€™m in Kaohsiung. We are where you guys were a month+ ago, so right at the peakā€¦ maybe a slight decline in the last week.

2 Likes

A large part of that is that nobody has ever swabbed people en masse for all the pathogens they could possibly be carrying. I suspect that if you tested people for influenza/cold genetic material every winter, youā€™d probably find a lot of asymptomatic cases there as well.

4 Likes

I donā€™t care so much, if at all, because thereā€™s statistically no risk either from the vaccines or from the virus.

But, OK, Iā€™ll drop out of this discussion.

This is just factually incorrect anyway. Not everybody gets infected with anything. Weā€™ve been over this beforeā€¦

Exposed to the virus.

Youā€™ve been over your assumptions. The same assumption you used to say there was a decreased risk of myocarditis from Omicron you should also apply to infections. With the increased infectiousness of subsequent variants then over time the likelihood of infection increases. Certainly everyone will be exposed and most infected. So again, as per just about every single published study I have seen, the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks.

Or we could all get our advice from Andrew on the internet.