Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

To be fair, he does talk a lot of sense.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s not what you wrote, though. ā€œExposedā€ is correct. ā€œInfectedā€ isnā€™t. If you donā€™t want to be corrected, try and write accurately.

Youā€™re mischaracterizing what I wrote (again). I didnā€™t say ā€œthereā€™s a decreased risk of myocarditis from omicronā€. I said ā€œit would seem reasonable to assumeā€¦ā€, in line with symptoms decreasing in general, until more data become available.

You are making assumptions too, even if you donā€™t realize it. When you make these claims about myocarditis etc. based on data collected a year or more ago, youā€™re assuming that the risk of myocarditis has remained constant as new variants have evolved.

Iā€™m not really giving ā€œadviceā€. Itā€™s a discussion forum, and weā€™re discussing stuff. But I could say the same about getting advice from Malasang88 on the internet.

1 Like

He seems to talk himself into believing something without evidence. And lecturing others on the importance of statistically significant sample sizes. :person_facepalming:

Another exampleā€¦

An assumption should not be the cornerstone of your argument.

Similar to when you talk to Finley you realize itā€™s really not about the effectiveness of vaccines, but the fact he doesnā€™t like being told to wear a mask. Two completely separate issues.

Sounds like an ideal PhD thesis.

I used the best study I could find comparing vaccine induced myocarditis, infection induced MISC and classic myocarditis as a control. There arenā€™t many that compare the two.

If you have better relevant (keyword) studies then you can share otherwise itā€™s an assumption.

Seriously, do you have reading difficulties?

Iā€™m putting forward a suggestion/theory there based on things I know already. If you can refute the theory, go ahead and have a go. It is a simple fact that COVID is pretty much the first condition for which widespread testing for genetic material has been done. This isnā€™t the case for influenza, common colds, etc.

Your argument here seems to be ā€œitā€™s only possible to think something if Iā€™ve read it in a peer-reviewed paperā€. How do you think these papers are written? They start with some assertion to be tested. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Some of us are making decisions about vaccinating our kids so the stakes are a little higher. Iā€™ve shared information that Iā€™ve found as have others. Everything (credible) that I have read concludes that the risks from infection are greater than vaccination and the likelihood of being infected is pretty fucking high. So the choice is simpleā€¦for me.

Nice theory but Iā€™ll pass.

In Taiwan many kids (under 12) already had Covid before vaccines were approved. That made the decisions easier. All the zero to 12 YO in our family already had Covid before they could be vaccinated, so they refused the shots.

The adults with three shots had worse symptoms when they got Covid too.

Hereā€™s a simple exercise for you, using official data, for the risk of ā€œgetting infectedā€. Pick any country in the world, ideally one thatā€™s been affected by coronavirus for a couple of years and has done a lot of testing, and divide the number of reported cases by the population. Itā€™s typically around 25-30% IIRC.

Of course thatā€™s an underestimate because not every case is reported, but if it wasnā€™t serious enough to report, does it really matter? And, if you think it does matter and the risk of ā€œgetting infectedā€ is still ā€œpretty fucking highā€, itā€™s an example of the limitations of the official data weā€™re talking about.

My initial response to @DrewC above wasnā€™t a dig at him. I just responded to the assertion that COVID is ā€œweirdā€ because of the proportion of asymptomatic cases. My point is that this is the first disease for which this has been studied on this kind of scale, and the first disease where large numbers of asymptomatic people are getting tested for genetic material. There isnā€™t much data there to support COVID being weird in this respect (cf. other respiratory diseases). I think it would be interesting for someone to study that during flu season or whatever.

2 Likes

This is true.

Nice anecdote. I also have an anecdote. Coworkers son (4 yrs old) in and out of the ER yesterday with a high fever and breathing problems. Luckily improving today. Iā€™d rather not take that risk if I donā€™t have to.

They sent him home and then he went back because he was worse?

Yes twice in one day.

Why did they send him home the first time? I would be pretty pissed at the doctors.

Although i will add that ER doctors can be useless. My kid broke her leg on a Friday night once. ER did an x-ray and said it wasnā€™t broken. They were moving her leg around crazily saying that if it was broken, she couldnt take them doing that. She was screaming. All day sat and Sun we were encouraging her to get off the sofa and move about. She did try. Went back Monday and the doctor was like it is broken. If she were an adult, it would be a complete fracture. Kids bones dont snap, they bend like a crushed straw because they are still soft. She was 4. His excuse when i complained. The ER computers are not as clear as his one.

I didnā€™t ask. Coworker works for me and had to take time off so was just checking her son was ok. Sounds like she was up all night.

They are still weird about people coming in with fevers. Went to the ER for possible appendicitis yesterday (luckily it was a mild stool infection near the appendix opening, so I didnā€™t need another surgery) and the people with fevers went through hell before being admitted. Anyone in real danger of dying who also has a fever may be out of luck. Itā€™s a shame the doctors and staff arenā€™t speaking out against this, but I know they are afraid. When I was fighting the hospital about my eye surgery, the cops were actually on my side. Thatā€™s how ridiculous it is now.

4 Likes

Wow, you seem to get sick a lot. A while ago it was emergency surgery for detached retina and now possible appendicitis. Are the two related?

When it rains, it pours. I think Iā€™m destined to fall apart. Iā€™ve had hernias, artery dissections and retinal tears. Iā€™ve got bad DNA or Iā€™m suffering the consequences of being prematurely born to a drug addicted mother and miraculously living despite all the doctors and nurses giving me no hope of surviving.

Other than the major incidents, I never get sick interestingly. Over 20 years and I never needed a sick day, and I feel in my bones Iā€™ll live to 100.

7 Likes

Wow, count yourself lucky. Most people die from this.

When God asked me want I wanted from life, I said luck. Maybe I made the right choice.

1 Like

I recall someone doing an experiment whereby they went around collecting nose-probe samples from random people and doing a PCR test for genetic material. They found all sorts of horrific stuff up there ā€¦ as of course you would expect, since our bodies are crawling with pathogens that, by some miraculous process that isnā€™t fully understood, donā€™t cause us any harm.

I know it is perfectly possible to be a transmitter of disease while showing no symptoms (typhoid and polio are examples that spring to mind), but AFAIK nobody has demonstrated that COVID-19 is that kind of disease. Which suggests that those supposed ā€œasymptomatic casesā€ were just ordinary healthy people with functioning immune systems going about their daily lives.

This is, as you said, the first time that molecular biology has been used to observe the progress of a disease, and I think the people in charge have simply not understood what is being measured. Consider all this hoo-hah over ā€˜variantsā€™ of omicron (BA-5 or whatever). 20 years ago, it would have been physically impossible to even differentiate these things, and I suspect we would have been better off for it.

4 Likes