Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

There’s a whole article about it here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5801071/#:~:text=Overall%2C%20there%20were%207.3%20encephalitis,(4.1%20per%20100%2C000)9.

At a rough guess, from these figures, you’d expect to see a handful of cases each month in young kids in a country the size of Taiwan. I’m not sure why the authorities deem it necessary to scare the crap out of people with these extremely rare events while ignoring all of the other things that can harm young children.

2 Likes

Wishing you health and wellness.

5 Likes

Thanks. I don’t know what else to say. But thanks.

1 Like

Report Completed1

Covid Stats For 2022-06-23

Local = 48,283

Imported = 73

Deaths = 166

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

6 Likes

Report Completed1

166 COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 23, 2022

Female = 64 (38.55%)
Male = 102 (61.45%)

Age Distribution

90s = 37 (22.29%)
80s = 64 (38.55%)
70s = 37 (22.29%)
60s = 20 (12.05%)
50s = 6 (3.61%)
30s = 2 (1.20%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 78 (46.99%)
1 = 16 (9.64%)
2 = 24 (14.46%)
3 = 48 (28.92%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 150 (90.36%)
None = 16 (9.64%) - Ten had 0 vaccine doses, one had 1, three had 2, two had 3.

Click to see detailed cases report

6 Likes

So, we have 16 total deaths stating Covid as the apparent sole cause.

6 of those were people in their 90s.

4 in their 80s.

5 in their 70s.

1 in their 60s.

The current life expectancy for Taiwan in 2022 is 80.87 years.

If we give an average spread for these ages at death (since no precise age is given), we get an average age at death for these official ‘Covid death’ individuals of around 84 years.

Vaxxed or not, we seem to be doing better than average :slight_smile:

Taiwan number 1!

3 Likes

WTF? My wife dodges Covid for over a year in the free-for-all U.S. and then comes back to Taiwan and catches it a week out of quarantine. You people . . . !

9 Likes

Best wishes for her!

It amuses my family in Canada that they’ve been exposed to the virus for 2+ years yet none of them have caught it. It finally gets loose in Taiwan, and I caught it within a couple of months.

6 Likes

Population density? We’ve basically got the entire population of Canada on a land mass the size of Vancouver Island…

7 Likes

Well, that, and me being a teacher, and them being either retired or working entirely from home.

I was probably infected during a weekend of admissions interviews. I had more prolonged contact with more strangers in those two days than anyone else in my family may have had in the past two years.

4 Likes

I have been in the states for the past month and I literally forgot covid exists, everything is just completely as normal, not a mask in sight. I just popped into the thread to see the alternative universe where numbers are still being counted and masks are still being stapled onto peoples faces.

9 Likes

Minus Ontario

It just looks normal, beneath the surface lots of people still catch it and many are hospitalized. Not talking about doesn’t make it go away.

2 Likes

I’m what you would call a dirty “anti-vaxer”

I’ll say this about catching COVID. While relatively it wasn’t so bad, it was a “strange” disease, unlike a regular cold.

My whole back was in pain for two days, and it felt like I pulled a bunch of muscles at the gym, so I didn’t even realize it was COVID until I got tested.

5 Likes

Lower back pain is apparently one of the symptoms of omicron.

Guy

2 Likes

It wasn’t just my lower back, but my whole back. Like I’ve been to the gym or sleept on the wrong side of the bed, and my bed was also filled with rocks.

In comparison tho, I can’t say it was as bad as some of the flu or colds that I’ve had, but definitely different.

2 Likes

Deaths of covid infected per 100k by age by vaccination in 2022 in Taiwan

0 1 2 3
0-4 1.07 - - -
5-11 2.84 0 - -
12-17 1.57 0.74 0.23 -
18-29 8.11 0.9 0.28 0.1
30-49 46.52 8.46 3 1.17
50-64 81.13 55.59 19.96 7.39
65-74 202.34 132.06 63.48 21.64
75+ 454.21 370.28 239.37 100.93

Taiwan Covid19 Trendline - Google Sheets

8 Likes

I don’t know anyone that died from COVID, I know a few who have permeant heart disease, who outright collapsed after taking the vaccine.

Also heaps of people I know started to have random health problems, like skin cancer.

These statistics don’t tell much on their own. I’d like to see overall deaths based on vaccination status from all causes.

A lot of people who are contraindicated from getting the vaccine already have severe health issues, being the reason why they can’t have it, so you would expect it to be higher, but you shouldn’t see higher deaths in the vaccinated group from all causes.

3 Likes

It’s not like anything else, for sure.

My mate and I both had it at the same time. We both had the throbbing back pain, but he had no further symptoms. I shat out over 2kgs. He’s fat as well.

It certainly wasn’t as bad as flu with me. Just different.

The symptoms only lasted two days, then they disappeared like magic. Very odd

3 Likes

Really? This adds to my list of things that happened in recent weeks that make me think I may have already caught it. I had what felt like a pulled muscle in my lower back (I even walked a bit funny for a couple of days) and I have no idea how I did it. I guessed it was when parking my scooter and moving it around a bit to fit into a small spot, but I don’t remember having any specific moment in which I knew I tweaked it. I also guessed it was a result of doing flip turns in the pool. Again, no specific turn I could point to when it might have occurred. Strange and interesting.

3 Likes