Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

I’m in a similar situation – my kid’s class had one confirmed case, so the class is closed and the school is telling the parents they have to quarantine. I’ve been trying to figure out whether we actually do or not.

When this happened to my girlfriend’s daughter, it was apparently the same, and then three days later they got official quarantine notices from the health department, and had to start their quarantine on that day.

2 Likes

Covid Stats For 2022-05-02

Local = 17,801

Airport = 29

Quarantine = 28

Deaths = 3

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

6 Likes

Almost 36% positivity rate!!!

The level of testing is quite frankly pathetic.

5 Likes

I think they should make the font on that 106000 smaller. :grin:

Good for Chen shutting that nonsense down.

14 Likes

I don’t disagree with the general sentiment. But it seems the driver of the very high positivity rate is that, in northern Taiwan, you need to show a positive RAT result before they will let you have a PCR test—and it’s the latter that is counted as official. So it’s already a highly select group, at least in northern Taiwan, who are accessing PCR tests (in addition to those others who are tested to enter hospitals and for other purposes).

Guy

1 Like

It’s a feature, not a bug

I don’t see how that makes sense. If people are required to show a positive rapid test before being allowed to take a PCR test, the positivity rate for the PCR tests should be much higher.

The PCR tests are much more sensitive than the rapid tests, and should pick up cases not detected by them. The other way around (positive rapid test, negative PCR) is very unlikely, AFAIK.

1 Like

Remote schooling but pay parent. Meanwhile, teacher’s pay??? HAHAHA.

2 Likes

Remember the policy I described—positive RAT needed before a PCR test is administered—is in Taipei and Xinbei, not national.

Plus even in Taipei and Xinbei, there are other reasons for people to take PCR tests (entering hospitals, etc).

Guy

Only some of the PCR tests are coming from positive rapid tests I guess….

2 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Electronic isolation notice delivery system

A rat positive for what? Rabies?

Guy

Nah, nothin’ that fun. Just a positive rapid antigen test result is apparently needed, as of now, before getting a PCR test in the above named municipalities.

Guy

Twitter thread with graphs and discussion of who’s catching COVID so far - i.e., not the elderly much, yet.

3 Likes

Hmm, I wonder why middle and highschool kids are underrepresented.

Asymptomatic and hence undertested?

Guy

3 Likes

Not testing positive because they have no symptoms.

My covidphobic father in law just got positive, they ask him to take one another rapid test…and after confrim positive again…they ask him to go to Pingtung Hospital to take PCR. ( He lives on the mountains, 25km from city, 69yrs old went by scooter on this rainy weather )

So what’s the point of the CECC when they ask RAT to “avoid unnecessary hospital agglomeration” and only come if you present high fever?

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear about your father in law.

The CECC is trying to conserve PCR tests. They know numbers will continue to explode in the upcoming month(s).

I hope things turn out OK.

Guy

2 Likes