Coronavirus Testing

Yesh, getting a rapid cpivd test is getting complicated. Screenshot_20210321-143046_Drive|243x500 .

Has anyone gone through the process yet?

iā€™m going for a covid test in taiwan on tuesday (to get out of quarantine) and had 2 in canada in order to fly here (1st flight cancelled). so far, nothing complicated about itā€¦

Could you explain the process? It seems you need an application, supporting documentation showing legitimate travel, and you will need to make an appointment at a designated test site for an expedited test.

Fyi, to me it seems complicated. In the US, you just need to show up at a test site with an ID.

canada: fill in a form online when scheduling, pay online in advance of the test, show up for a swab, get emailed the results

the taiwan process: my employer texted me with a date and time, and told me a driver would pick me up at the hotel and i should take 6000nt cash for the test. iā€™m bringing my passport just in case, and i assume i will have to fill in a form at the hospital. i can tell you more on tuesday afternoonā€¦

If I have to go through all this red tape just to get a PCR test before travelling outside of Taiwan, then my employer better renew my contract because I will have to refuse to leave until this is all over.

Not to mention the Canadian travel restrictions. I will not go to Canada and pay C$2,000 just to spend 3 nights in a hotel to wait for the on-arrival PCR test results there.

Trying to get a Covid 19 test at a hospital is a pain. Im in my second hour of waiting despite having an appointment and following directions to arrive an hour early. Apparently only a doctor can perform a covid pcr testā€¦ and the only available doctor right now is busy with another matter.

So, the process really is to fill out the application, make an appointment at one of the designated hospitals, bring your passport and flight information to the hospital, fill out additional hosptial paperwork, pay an inflated amount of money (costs vary), wait for the Covid test. Thereafter, you will need to come back to the hospital with the appropriate ID to pick up paperwork.

My experience at the Shuang Ho Hospital was good - no appointment, and in and out in 15 minutes. I did have to go back the next day to pick up the report though.

2 Likes

Nice information here.

And hereā€™s the list where I found a hospital near where I live:

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/-txdkpOqHAI5SYy5aWTnaQ

My question is related to the timing. You need the result 72 hours before departure. Does that mean the test needs to be taken within this 72 hour window, or just that the results need to be picked up within this window? The former of course makes more sense but Iā€™m not 100 percent sure.

1 Like

Question. Is taiwan evolving towards a more logical, commonly available, testing environment? Testing is an area taiwan has completely dropped the ball on so far. Whats the current scoop?
Taiwan is the world leader in copying manufacturing practices and such, one would think we could mass produce tests at the blink of an eye if the government was motivated.

1 Like

More tests would just bring more positive results. And that wound bring more panic.

A post was merged into an existing topic: TAIPEI CITY, NEW TAIPEI CITY: Level 3 epidemic warning (May 15, 2021) - Rules, FAQ

And? Whatā€™s the alternative? Donā€™t find the hidden cases and just let the disease circulate and spread and entrench itself more with more people getting sick and dying? People shouldnā€™t panic, but be aware and informed so they take more precautions. Sticking our head in the sand and ignoring reality isnā€™t a strategy.

3 Likes

how accessible are tests in TW ? if itā€™s already level 3, given that testing is probably not at the same level as western states. then itā€™s a bunch of covid in the air already. might as well do texas style - roll out the vaccines.

and does anyone know when foreigners will be eligible for vaccines ?

Might want to pay more attention - thereā€™s already at least one long thread on this. We were already eligible for vaccines for a while, although nobody is eligible for self-paid vaccines anymore. I presume that foreigners in the priority groups are still eligible, for as long as stocks last.

It doesnā€™t belong in this thread anyway.

7 Likes

I agree.
Unfortunately it was the strategy the government had for the past 12 months.

1 Like

Just saw this on Facebook about the capacity of one of the testing sites in Wanhua, thought it was interesting (in a bad way). Hope that Taiwan can sort this shit out.

2 Likes

I meant, like you know non high priority people who are not at high risk. you know the holoi poloi. assuming thatā€™s the majority of people anyway.

if you still meant vaccines, i think he meant this thread:

1 Like

15,603 people were tested yesterday. So the positive rate is about 2.15% overall. Even when not counting the ā€œin-progressā€ ones: 335/(335+8306) ~ 3.88%, which is a bit high, but not terrible:
https://sites.google.com/cdc.gov.tw/2019-ncov/taiwan

Thank God I donā€™t live in Wanhua District in Taipei.