Coronavirus Testing

OK, so what I saw about buying self-tests over the past hour, while running other errands in the Danshui area:

• The link above isn’t very helpful. A place that showed as green had no masks tests available for another couple of hours. Maybe it’ll work when the rush slows down, but for now it doesn’t match availability, unless I’m reading it wrong. (Another place I walked by isn’t on the map.)
  • For those who don’t know (and I didn’t, until an hour ago): pharmacies have signs on their doors saying 1) what time the masks EDIT, gah, tests, will be on sale, and often 2) how many they have available. “4pm, 78” for example. Three different pharmacies had three different times across the afternoon. Maybe they’re also getting stock in the morning as well? I don’t know.
  • I would not bother heading out for these this week unless you urgently need them. Around 2:30pm, I walked past a store that had had stock as of 1:30pm - all sold out. Minutes later I walked past another shop that would be selling masks tests, sigh as of 3pm - so about 20 minutes later - and the line already stretched the whole block, maybe 40 or 50 people?
  • EDIT: Really what you’d like to know is what time the masks EDIT b/c I’m a moron, tests go on sale, and perhaps how many they’re going to get. It looks like some of the shops at the link above do provide that information in the Remarks section, but most don’t (yet?).

Ballpark guess, if you want to get one right now, you need to arrive at the pharmacy and get in line 30 minutes before they go on sale. After that and you may be too late in line.

3 Likes

You can use your ARC

1 Like

Kind of doubt it because the NHI is needed to track it.

I’m curious what will happen next month? We all line up again???

1 Like

next week the queue will be for a bowl of bean soup and your rice ration. The week after that it’ll be delivered to your home by the only six people who aren’t “isolating”.

I believe your ARC and NIH both use the same ID as the primary key.

2 Likes

I think you’ve traveled back in time. Tests?

1 Like

D’oh.

1 Like

Hilarious. Do the police still give out canned foods and chips to people in quarantine?

I got a bag of junk food last time around (december). I’m guessing they’ll get more stingy with 3m people in “quarantine”.

2 Likes

It appears that pharmacies disappear from the map if they are out of stock.

https://becory.github.io/covid-19-test-kit-tw/

2 Likes

[linked question]

Anyone know what tests I can get here, performed ASAP, which meet the US requirements? My kids’ school went online and I want to get on the first possible plane to the US.

Requirements are listed here:

You must be tested with a viral test to look for current infection – these include an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Phrases indicating a test is an antigen test could include, but not are not limited to:

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Also, could be noted as Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered.

You need a supervised Rapid Antigen Test (fastest and cheapest option) or a PCR test. You can get that done at either Ear Noise Throat Clinics or the hospitals.

1 Like

To fly to the US, my husband had a rapid test at Taiwan Adventist hospital. $1200 for same day results within 2 hours.

2 Likes