Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives

The 80% double-dosed target will be reached soon. NSW and Victoria are on track to hit it within weeks.

International flights will resume for these states hitting this target, with them having a seven-day home quarantine plan for international travellers. No more mandatory 14-day $3000 hotel cost.

So basically an arbitrary target for compliance then.

I wonder how many people will just sit it out? Or whether people will queue up to be vaxed because they’re sick of it all, and they figure that the promise to open up will be broken if they don’t do as they’re told?

I wonder what will happen when , after their 80% target has been reached and they start to “open up”, they realise (as Singapore has) that vaccinating people doesn’t make COVID go away?

My gut feeling is that the various govts (state and federal) don’t want too many more protests. Elections are due next year. They need the Chinese students back in. Tourists wanted. Migrant slave labor required. I suspect they’ll soon just say, “F**k it. Let it rip.”

2 Likes

You do realize that all governments have been moving goal-posts on this flu-thing since March 2020. What makes you think that 80% is any special target for the people in control to give up control?

They need Chinese students back in, migrant workers, airlines running, and tourists spending.

They also don’t want any more riots, which has seen international condemnation against the Australian government and particular Australian states.

Plus, they want to win the next election. If they don’t do as promised, they’ll be turfed out next year.

They may not give up the controls they’ve introduced, of course. That is certainly possible. I agree that it’s no sure thing.

I can see how one can see it as moving goal posts. But I think it’s a sign of maturity as well to change based off new information that pops up.

I don’t believe your average run of the mill politician in a democratic country is aiming for domination.

I see it as getting as many people as humanly possible vaccinated so that we can live with it and not tie up taxpayer’s money in hospital visits and overrun them.

1 Like

This one has been covered from many different angles. Of all the many things that put pressure on the health service, COVID is not even in the top 10 except in a few countries where almost everyone is chronically ill (eg., the USA).

In most countries, when people need hospital treatment, 99 times out of 100 it has nothing to do with COVID. No government has decided to rip society apart in order to solve any of those other 99 things, often because “muh freedoms” preclude it: governments are (quite rightly) loath to “mandate” that people stop smoking, eating cake and Doritos instead of dinner, or indulging in Netflix binges instead of going for a run.

If public health were the target, then it would have been sufficient to vaccinate the over-70s and whatever small minority were unduly terrified of COVID, on a purely voluntary basis. That would have (and indeed did) eliminate 90% of the problematic cases. Anything more than that would have (and did) produce rapidly diminishing returns.

The enormous pressure put onto people who do not need the vaccine suggests that something else is afoot.

1 Like

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

There are even more, unfortunately not implemented yet, ways to save taxpayer’s money ( and make quite an extra money for those involved ).
Fire extinguisher mandatory carrying at all times would prevent overload on the fire departments.
Banning the private vehicles ownership and renting them from government approved corporations instead, would exclude the thefts and police visits.
Making buying a slave legal would greatly reduce the load on immigration offices.
This argument of “taxpayer’s money and hospitals” is very questionable imo, as that’s the whole idea of taxes to make the things which were not accessible for cavemen.

2 Likes

If you had taken the time to think before you speak, you would have figured out that:

Fire Extinguishers ARE already mandatory. We have fire extinguisher mandates in our building codes to prevent fire departments from being overwhelmed by small preventable and curable fires. Preventative actions cost us all less and mitigate problems, financial cost and human cost.

You didn’t think that one through did you?

Societies all around the world are working to rebuild their 19th century infrastructure because cities built to a human scale, like Taipei or Amsterdam are more livable and absolutely reduce traffic fatalities. When you take the MRT, you are ALREADY doing what you posted!

Cities all around the world are working to reduce car dependence for a lot of reasons including this one! Cars aren’t efficient!

False equivalence and a straw man. Doesn’t help people. Your strawman suggests we enslave people which doesn’t help people. Coulda said open the borders. Would’ve supported your argument better instead of the strawmen I received.

There’s a reason why we don’t have hospitals on every corner like we do 711 here in Taiwan or Tim Hortons in Canada. For all the time that we aren’t in a health crisis, this is a very inefficient way to run society and tax money spent to make the most inefficient healthcare system is money taken away from the needs of others. Up until the 1960s, Rabies was primarily caused by dogs. Early treatment, leash mandates and a literal vaccine mandate made it so that today, Rabies is almost a non-concern, an extremely rare disease that is almost only transmitted by bats and is completely curable and preventable through both treatment AND prevention. Prevention saves lives and money. If we sit here and take the most inefficient way, then we won’t have enough resources to handle other needs.

If you could enjoy the same or higher quality of life while reducing your costs, would you not take it? Why shouldn’t policymakers either?

1 Like

Eastern Europe also not in a great position…

High rates of vaccination = opening up and getting on with things, lower death rates . In Ireland and other Western countries it’s all moving into the background

Low rates of vaccination = deaths , ICUs full of patients and slow recovery.

Hesitancy is linked to the fear of AZ. Fortunately Taiwanese seem to have gotten over that whole media scare pretty quickly.

2 Likes

“You didn’t think that one through did you?”

Apparently it was a grotesque depicting everyone literally carrying it everywhere despite no fire around. You just did not get it. It happens.

“Cities all around the world are working to reduce car dependence for a lot of reasons including this one! Cars aren’t efficient!”

There was a hint about that infamous “you will own nothing etc” thing. You just did not get it. It happens.

“Your strawman suggests we enslave people”

Apparently not, instead it was a hyperbolical reference to SEA factory workers and caregivers position. You just did not get it. It happens.

“If you had taken the time to think before you speak,”

This is an explicit boorishness.

But you used ALL hospitalisations, then declared that Canada must not be healthy.

I don’t think that helped your claim.

People don’t get into collisions because they’re fat and ate wrong.

Your entire argument was a strawman. I can’t take that seriously.

I declared Canadians to be unhealthy because it’s as plain as day. The fact that (1) a few extra COVID cases are (supposedly) causing the health service to collapse, and (2) there are at least 2.7m hospital visits each year (there you go, I discounted pregnancy) is merely corroborating evidence.

If you think the present problem with COVID in Canada (to the extent that any such problem exists) has nothing to do with the country’s 27% obesity rate and 8% diabetes rate, feel free to explain why. If you think these numbers indicate a wonderfully healthy population who only go to hospital as a result of car crashes or pregnancy, let’s see the statistics to back it up.

As I said, Canada is already 70% vaccinated, and COVID deaths are as high as they ever were (ie., surprisingly low). The idea that a bit more vaccination will solve the problem is laughable; even if it worked, what would be the point of reducing six deaths a day to three or four? You could probably achieve the same result by increasing the tax on cigarettes (or donuts).

The most likely reason for an uptick in serious outcomes is the one that several professionals have warned about for months: a massive population of vaccinated people acting as a gene lab for virulent mutations, which then hit the unvaccinated particularly hard.

Aside from all of that, this article explains how systemic weaknesses in the healthcare system can bugger things up under relatively modest pressure:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-08/covid-exposes-weakness-in-japan-s-top-tier-healthcare-system

And the rest of the statistic? What about the other reasons for hospital stays that are not about personal health?

I thought you once claimed you were a ‘man of science’

Is using misleading data something a ‘man of science’ would do?

1 Like

Yes , scientists cheat often. They do an experiment again and again until they get the required result then shelve the previous ones. There is lots of cheating in science even unconscious cheating.
One of the reasons some in science are against using the passive tense when describing the method used in an experiment. The subject who did the action is important to know. Who are they, who do they work for , past history …all can affect the outcome of experiments.

2 Likes

Good point. Not all are good apples.

1 Like

Some have unconscious bias and if an outcome is not as what they think it should be they will blame it on external factors then repeat until they get it right (right in their view).

You just can’t help yourself can you?

My original contention was that Canadians are ending up in hospital (with COVID or not) primarily because they are all chronically ill. Exactly how is it “misleading” to point out that they seem to spend an awful lot of time in hospital, or that 30% of them are obese (70% are merely “overweight”)? You asked for a different metric and I provided one. I think at this point you need to show some evidence that Canadians are, in fact, all completely healthy.

Since fat-and-diabetic people comprise 70%+ of the people in the ICU with COVID, the logical conclusion is that countries that are not fat and diabetic might have lower numbers of people in the ICU … which turns out to be the case, if you look at national statistics. Under the circumstances, the number of people dying of COVID in Canada is remarkably low.

The point I was trying to make is that vaccinating people who have the same drive-thru relationship with the health service that they do with McDonalds is a bit like:

If yo think that people are going to hospital for reasons that have nothing to do with personal health, feel free to enlighten me. Maybe Canadian hospitals have staycations or colonic irrigation packages these days?