Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives

Because it’s an inflated stat. You know it. I know it. The rest of the forum knows it. It took me 30 seconds to reduce it by 10%. Your presentation of the data to support your contention is at best, misleading, at worst, intentionally deceptive.

I don’t want to believe you are trying to intentionally deceive us.

1 Like

OMG. I was 10% out. Perhaps even 15%.

And now it seems I’m arguing in bad faith again.

No. The pregnancy stat is one.

The others? Kind sir?

You really want us to believe every injury is a result of poor health choices?

Secondly, if you’re not going to admit you’re wrong and play your original deceptive stat off as if it was not a big deal, why should we trust ANYTHING you say?

I proved you wrong, and now you’re defensive.

Why?

What about them?

From CIHI:

• The most common reason for hospitalization in 2019–2020 was giving birth, with an average acute LOS of 2.2 days. This was followed by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and bronchitis (7.1 days) and acute myocardial infarction (4.9 days).
  • The most common inpatient surgery in Canada in 2019–2020 was a Caesarean section (C-section), with an average acute LOS of 2.9 days. This was followed by knee replacement (3.0 days) and hip replacement (5.6 days).

Canadians go to hospital - when they’re not pregnant - because they’re fat and ill. COVID is just the cherry on the sugar-filled cake.

Ok, what’s the real number? Controlling for hospitalisations that do not involve long term personal health factors.

Who cares? Look it up if you think it’s relevant, and then explain to me why it’s relevant.

People who are chronically ill are at greater risk from viral infections. This has been true since forever, but since the primary goal of privately-funded healthcare is to make as much money as possible, there has been little incentive to change it.

You don’t seem to have any actual point to make here other than “finley must be wrong”.

This is right. However, you pulled up a statistic that includes things like…trauma and previously addressed, pregnancies.

How can you infer such conclusions if your stats include things that hinder your point?

Does the Coronavirus cause me to crash my car?

Does the Coronavirus cause me to swing back a tree branch into another classmate’s face?

Why should the rest of us be held to a higher standard when arguing and not you?

Why is it OK for you to use misleading stats?

How can I take your point seriously?

I have absolutely no idea what point you’re trying to make here. You seem to be suggesting that because COVID cannot cause blunt trauma, finley must be wrong. Ergo. Or something.

My contention is extremely simple.

• People who are ill - specifically, people who are fat and diabetic - are at high risk of COVID.
  • Approximately 10-30% of Canadians are ill in this way.
  • If they weren’t ill, they probably wouldn’t be clogging up the ICUs.
  • Vaccinating them is a case of too little, too late.

Am I lying again?

Does Corona cause trauma and injury like these?

Of course it doesn’t. Are you now going to claim you’ve won the argument?

Then why are you using a stat that includes these figures? To inflate the number to better support your argument? If so, that’s dishonest.

No. I couldn’t care less if I win or not.

By the beard of a koala. It was merely supporting evidence. If you don’t like it, feel free to ignore it and refer to the other statistics instead.

And I pointed out the evidently problematic evidence.

That’s when you freaked out.

I gave you some different evidence, as you requested. Which you ignored.

No, you gave me partial. You still haven’t accounted for things like injury and other non-personal-health-choice related hospital visits. Instead of just doing that, I run into more resistance.

OK, you win. All Canadians are healthy and as long as we reach that last 10% of anti-vaxers, COVID will go away and the health service will be saved.

That’s not what I was arguing. It doesn’t matter if I win or not.

It was a simple question. Can you please provide a better statistic?

I probably could if I knew what you wouldn’t dismiss as invalid.

Well… We’re talking about lifestyle choices. So I would go with that.

I probably would not include hospitalisations for people who have…let’s say were born with mental health conditions or depression. Depression isn’t a lifestyle choice.

Your contention is based on fault in terms of lifestyle choice. So therefore, I would probably exclude things that are not one’s fault.

Would probably exclude injuries, [practically] nobody goes into a car intending to crash.

Being fat is often a poor lifestyle choice. would probably include it.

Etc…

I’m simply pointing out what is. The vaccine cheerleaders take great pleasure in suggesting that, if one chooses not to get vaxed and ends up in hospital, that was “your choice” and it’s nobody’s obligation to fix you up.

There is perhaps some merit in the argument (although not a lot, since COVID is not, in the grand scheme of things, an intolerable burden on the health service, and vaccines have almost no effect on people who are not at elevated risk). The implication is that, if it is within your control to avoid ending up in hospital with a 400lb load on your hips and knees, or with clogged-up coronary arteries, it would be as well to do something about it. As a bonus, that will reduce your chances of ending up on a respirator with COVID.