Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion

So the AZ jab is still not approved in US. Would that mean I should opt for Moderna here in Taiwan?

I’m a bit skeptical of getting a vaccine that has a lower efficacy rate if we’re all going to wind up needing to get boosters after this. I’m less of a ‘micro-chip’ / ‘population control’ conspiracy theorist type but more of a ‘this thing seems rushed’ type.

Also, reading that with AZ a much higher percentage are getting fevers after their dose. Just seems off to me. Again, especially if we’re going to have to pile on more boosters a bit later down the line.

1 Like

That is a different point to what you said. I understand all that.

But that doesn’t mean that covid is always more dangerous to everyone at all times than the vaccine is.

I saw previously that two people under 40 had died of/with covid in Taiwan. Is that still correct?

Now one person has died after being vaccinated with AZ. So 2 to 1.

I hope Taiwan keeps the virus out for the next six months.

If we do and we keep giving AZ to young people, what is that ratio going to be?

You can argue that giving vaccines to everyone is best for the country overall but it isn’t best for the individual young person. They are taking a vaccine to a disease that they have a million to one chance of catching in Taiwan right now and even if they did, it probably wouldn’t kill them.

3 Likes

Lockdowns aren’t the only option to deal with Covid.

Plus, they can create a whole other set of health problems.

They can also make people even more susceptible to Covid in various ways - being stressed, doing little exercise, limiting fresh air, ordering in junk food, etc. Studies have shown that T2 diabetes has increased among young people due to lockdowns. Diabetics are at greater risk of health complications due to Covid.

1 Like

One person under 40.

Someone posted previously the breakdown of covid deaths by age in Taiwan. I remember there were two deaths in the under 40 group.

Now, the news article says that this is the first person under 40 to die after the AZ vaccine.

2 covid deaths to 1 AZ vaccine death in the under 40s.

That is what I was referring to.

The vaccine is completely safe, so it must be coincidence.

3 Likes

If we had and contunued with life as normal, without any precautions whatsoever, we’d probably have natural herd immunity or be very close to it by now.

U forgot all countries healthcare would have collapsed. Yes herd immunity would be achieved but at a very very high cost.

Why would they?

It seems to me that they collapsed regardless, because of lockdowns. Wards were closed, doctors were sent home.

I think most could accept that cost.

that one dose magic.

You mean go old school, like before vaccines were invented?

You first.

1 Like

Vaccinated people can get infected, too. Yes, but less likely.

Vaccinated people have the same viral load as the un-vaccinated. Yes, but for a shorter time about 24h plus the saliva contains antibodies. There is still to debate if these droplets are as infectious.

Vaccinated people will need booster-shots. Only if they are old or/and immunocompromised. The others like myself can rely on their b cell t cell memory response etc. get infected and fight off the virus just like any other cold.

Personally I think once everyone got the chance to be vaccinated, we should/must, I definitely will, return back to normal.
If the people who don’t want to be vaccinated get sick and die, this should no longer be our problem.
Also, this way we will achieve herd-immunity and everyone got it his way.

3 Likes

I made a joke to my coworker yesterday that I am immune to the virus because I had one dose.

They looked me in the eye and said no you aren’t.

You have to wait until 14 days. Ha ha.

3 Likes

And they said “Wait until 6 months later” :joy:

oh yes 14 days…duh

1 Like

They’re not wrong, but fuck the WHO.

WHO the fuck are you?

They are right. The whole argument for vaccines is to protect the most vulnerable and in western countries they are forcing the young to take it when other countries haven’t got enough for the most in need. How does that make sense?

Western governments are making a big deal about vaxxing 100 percent of people in their own country to stop variants developing in the unvaccinated, but leaving whole countries basically unvaccinated. How does that make sense? The variants can only develop in western unvaccinated people?

It is all about the money, money, money

2 Likes

They can close their borders to avoid the variants developed outside coming in. No need to worry.

Dr Ruchi Sinha, consultant paediatrician at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, told MPs and peers that choosing not to vaccinate children would be unlikely to cause problems in the health service.

“What matters is the burden of patient hospitalisation and critical care and actually there hasn’t been as much with this Delta variant,” she said. “They tend to be the children who have got their comorbidities, obesity, or severe neurological problems and those children are already considered for vaccination. COVID-19 on its own in paediatrics is not the problem.”

6 Likes