Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - 2022

Highly predictable.

Yes, but everything Iā€™ve seen talks about vaccines before Covid. My niece and nephew have already recovered from Omicron but are eligible for the coming vaccines. I just wonder if there is any benefit for them being somewhat immune at this point. They are 6 and 7.

Right. But the vaccines were developed for the original and maintain protection of the original variant. We may not hear about original and alpha and delta, but they still exist.

And you still need the shots for many countries if travelling.

Ok, but I thought I read Omicron prevented severe infections from earlier variants too.

Traveling is a good point for sure. They go to the US, China and Japan occasionally.

Maybe, but I donā€™t think that has been studied all that well.

Rather surprisingly, the former Peoples Republic of Australia now allows the Unvaccinated to enter and not have to do Quarantine. Even Novak could get in, except for the fact that he was deported which usually results on an entry ban for a few years.

And no more pre-departure testing as from April 18.

1 Like

Which Countries do you need shots? for my interestā€¦ Yes, I know its a lazy question!

Iā€™ll look it up when I get home, but off the top of my head QT is still mandatory in Canada without vaxxes.

1 Like

Moderna hasnā€™t been properly tested on kids, I guess? I donā€™t know. My wife and I are waiting for Pfizer too. Iā€™m also torn. For a 5 year old, is Omicron riskier or the vaccine?

Yes it is.

Guy

Not really. Wuhan OG strain, and Alpha are definitely extinct. Delta may be circulating at VERY low levels somewhere or in some wild animal populations, but if itā€™s around itā€™s an extremely small fraction of a percentage of cases. Almost negligible. And it could also be extinct as well. I havenā€™t read anything about Delta since January at least.

None of the countries are even testing. Rapid tests donā€™t tell you the strain. You canā€™t know that for sure.

Ah, but they have been testing. Countries constantly do studies to find new variants and in those studies theyā€™re also finding how much of the current cases are made up by the present variants. In Chicago (actually this is the last article I read about Delta) they genome sequenced a few thousand cases in January only a month after Omicron came to the states. They found Delta only made up 00.03% of cases. The rest was all Omicron. 4 months later and Iā€™m sure Omicron has completely outcompeted it there and elsewhere. OG and Alpha are definitely gone. OG hasnā€™t been sequenced in over a year. Alpha hasnā€™t been seen since last year.

1 Like

I know that when half my family caught it a couple months ago, they took rapid tests and were told to quarantine at home.

They didnā€™t submit any samples to labs.

Unless theyā€™re testing wastewater, itā€™s hard to tell.

Based on what we saw in Taiwan in 2021: good riddance!

Guy

1 Like

Uk tests a lot, well they did, and omercron wiped out delta real fast.

There is evidence ( Iā€™m not going to look for it) that omercron infection protects you from other strains but delta doesnā€™t protect you from catching omercron.

Basically a bloke down the pub told me that deltaā€™s days are numbered.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just saying if Delta was still around it would be popping up enough to be observed by hospitals and studies. The symptoms also present differently enough from Omicron that it would be noticeable if there was a Delta outbreak. Remember the case:death ratio of Alpha last yearā€¦ we were getting about 20-30 deaths a day when we were diagnosing about 300 to 500 cases. Now we have tens of thousands of cases and are getting 3-5 fatalities a day (yes, vaccines, but it doesnā€™t completely account for that kind of huge gap).

Delta and Alpha being gone is a GOOD thing. Iā€™ll eat my hat if thereā€™s ever a huge Delta or Alpha outbreak in Taiwan again (and my hat is gross). Those variants are deader than Disco.

I get that, but I donā€™t think itā€™s gone 100%. When Omicron starts sputtering out, will Delta replace it? I donā€™t know. Colds and flus were also barely here during the pandemic as we know. Will the removal of restrictions cause more cold and flu cases? Iā€™d rather err on the side of caution.

No. Itā€™s not around. Unfortunately Omicron wonā€™t ā€œsputter outā€ unless itā€™s replaced by an even more contagious variant :confused: just like Omicron replaced Delta, Delta replaced Alpha, Alpha replaced OG.,.

Iā€™m gonna have to disagree on this one.

I donā€™t think theyā€™re fully extinct just quite yet.