Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - 2022

They are probably in some animal reservoir that carries the virus asymptomatically and is capable of zoonotic transmission. Hopefully herd immunity from new variants will stop outbreaks quickly.

Gisaid tracks VOCs if you want some idea of whatā€™s going on. Not much info on Taiwan, but I only had a quick look.

https://www.gisaid.org/hcov19-variants/

1 Like

Cool website! Thanks for linking it.

Guy

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202205060008

4 Likes

Oh, and just before the election. How convenient. Complete coincidence, of course.

2 Likes

I was looking at the CDC link about the new batch of Pfizer-BioNTech (BNT) doses that are coming in, the first having arrived today.

Remember all the Hullabaloo in the lead up to what eventually became that donation of just over 15M doses from the Tzu-Chi, TSMC and Terry Gao group last year?

Well, it appears that the path has changed, as this time, the CECC are apparently the purchaser, some via Fosun in Hong Kong and BioNTech in Germany, and another contract via Pfizer in the USA and BioNTech in Germany. Interesting!!

1 Like

Oh god. Fosun.

:face_vomiting:

The new Pfizer dosesā€”1.85 million doses for 12 year olds and upā€”have arrived. Priority will apparently be given to 12-17 year olds for their boosters.

The first batch of Pfizer for youngsters (5-11) is expected to arrive later this week.

Attā€™n @Aikaili

Guy

2 Likes

The below seems to indicate international travellers to Australia are required to be vaccinated, unless they can be exempted medically.

Have you got a source that says otherwise?

I agree.

just 12% effectiveā€¦and for what? Whats the long term trade off? Nobody knows.

I dont agree with vaccinating young kids.

1 Like

Yes, that seems correct, I had not noticed that Foreigners still need to be Vaccinated.

1 Like

I think @bdog is saying everyone needs to be vaccinated, including Australian citizens, unless theyā€™re medical exempted. People are free to leave without applying for a travel exemption but even residents need to be vaccinated to return (unless they still come in on those special flights in quotas - if they even still exist). I canā€™t see anywhere it says residents do not need to be vaccinated in order to return.

1 Like

So my wife and I did not consent to vaccinating our ten-year-old with Moderna. I hope it was the right decision. We might consider BNT when thatā€™s available.

I couldnā€™t see anything in there that differentiates citizens and visitors. It could be intentionally vague in that some of this is subject to rules in each state. Mystified.

That (Federal Government) webpage it seems has not been updated since April 22, and it was around that time, or in the week following, that the lifting of the prohibition on the Unvaccinated was announced. I suspect that it hasnā€™t been updated, but an announcement was made by the Australian Government that the Unvaccinated would be treated in the same way as the Vaccinated. Note that the States may differ, Western Australia still points the Unvaccinated to a Quarantine Hotel for a week, but that could also have lapsed too.

New South Wales does let you in with no Quarantine requirement.

EDIT, any more should go in the travelling thread as this one is Taiwan related and we have strayed off the topic.

2 Likes

I just applied for the digital vaccination certificate through the Taiwan Social Distancing App. It only shows that I had 2 vaccines, but I got the third a few days ago. It probably hasnā€™t updated yet. Is it possible to apply for another later? Also, is the certificate of any use in Taiwan? Itā€™s just a PDF file as far as I can tell.

It gets you into bars and the gym. The best two places to be

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202205110008

3 Likes

Taiwan is doing the 4th vaccine? How many is it going to take :thinking: