Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - 2022

Great! 1922.gov.tw is way easier to navigate than the patchwork of municipal websites.

Guy

2 Likes

The vaccine map is pretty interesting.

1 Like

I received both shots of Medigen. I came to US on Thursday and by Saturday I had mild symptoms. Today and yesterday have been miserable. I’m a healthy gal and it is kicking my ass. It reminds me of a couple of cases of bad strep throat I had as a young woman. It is major suckage.
My son, who is unvaccinated appears to have had nearly the same level and type of response as me; muscle aches (understatement), raw throat, coughing, chills, and fever. Luckily no headache, nausea, or snot.
In summary, it ain’t fun, vaccinated or no. I hope all of you manage to experience minimal discomfort.

8 Likes

What made you go for medigen? If I get a booster, I might get that?

Get well soon, Bree. Unlike the original variants, the progress of this thing seems to be remarkably consistent in people who actually get ill with it - your experience is exactly what I’ve heard other people describe, and vaccination seems to make no difference. Console yourself with the thought that you’ll be back on your feet very soon and you (probably!) won’t get it again. From what I’ve heard, losing your sense of taste is quite rare, so that’s something.

2 Likes

It’s what was available at that time

Hope all goes well for you.

So you think you picked it up in transit or on arrival I guess?

My friends in the US who have had 2 jabs have experienced similar symptoms. Like bad sore throat strep throat and associated symptoms.

Not in transit. Everyone on that plane tested negative the preceding day.
I visited a friend in New Orleans who tested positive while I was there. She was asymptomatic. It happened so fast!

4 Likes

So you are infected? I got 2 of medigen. Had no problems with the jabs at all.

I chose medigen because I needed a job and also it is “traditionally made”?

Never wanted to get shot but needed to have a job.

1 Like

Yes I’m positive. my daughter was with me and now she’s starting to feel it too. She had a J&J and then a booster recently. Don’t know if it matters, but I hope it helps.

Really sorry to hear that anyone is sick. Really don’t like knowing that medigen doesn’t work - just like the others.

Understandably I’ve been wondering about the efficacy of medigen. So sorry to be concerned with this. Really no good excuse. Taiwan demonstrated they could contain this and let all of us down.

We did contain the virus multiple times. But we can’t contain it forever in the face of 200 other countries and territories tripping over themselves in incompetence.

Also, these vaccines are not described as providing sterilising immunity, it can reduce spread, it definitely helps keep people out of the hospital. It may even make people shrug it off. But if having the vaccines means the virus is no longer a big deal, so be it. Cause we can’t trust the WHO countries to do the right thing.

I don’t think we were let down by the vaccines, but let down by the WHO countries and their incompetence. They chose to drop like a sack of potatoes and ‘accept’ it as an inevitability. Taiwan shows how it can be done democratically.

But nooo we can’t call Taiwan a country now can we?

3 Likes

See @Marco 's point about sterilizing immunity—something none of the vaccine makers claimed. I just hope it keeps her out of the hospital.

I hope you’re doing OK @Bree ! Do take care!

Guy

3 Likes

With 98% percent of the cases in US being Omicron, it’s a very good bet that this is what you have. Not quite the “nothing” many seem to be claiming. I hope you feel better today.

3 Likes

Once again, the CDC have not updated their Website in regard to Vaccinations yesterday (13 Jan). From another source, it seems that a total of 331,937 doses were given, of which 49,867 were second doses and 266,478 were Boosters.
71.77% of the total population are now fully vaccinated.
79.90% of the eligible (under 12yo) population have been fully vaccinated.

Taiwan now has enough Vaccines on hand to Vaccinate 100% of the eligible population - so the shortages of 6 months back have been overcome.

4 Likes

And if you wish to compare Taiwan to other Countries in terms of vaccinations, you can try the attached - note that you can select countries to compare. Taiwan us surprisingly well up the list now!!

2 Likes

98%? In Belgium it’s 85% and the other 15% Delta, and they end up in the ICU and dying.

Who is “they”?

Guy

369,051 doses were given yesterday, of which 70,370 were second doses, and 271,291 were Booster shots. 16,852,665 are now fully vaccinated which is 72.1% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/62aNhbn2LznOdpPWggpR_w

3 Likes

289,530 doses were given over the weekend, of which 43,562 were second doses, and 222,921 were Booster shots. 16,906,379 are now fully vaccinated which is 72.33% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/ssQcxa475WAyUgFcjU95-A

5 Likes