Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - 2022

I was hoping to see a bigger bump in the total figure.

I haven’t seen any information about the elderly rate in a couple of weeks now - I’m curious how that’s going.

I am not entirely sure how they get the numbers.

A Moderna Booster is supposedly half dose, so maybe the 188K doses of Moderna that are listed as Booster shots went into 376K arms.

And then there is the ‘extra bit in each bottle’ that allows One Moderna dose to equal 1.1 shots, and One BNT dose to give 1.14 shots.

There is no doubt something buried in the CDC or MOHW web sites that explains it all.

1 Like

Yes, every now and then they publish a chart showing Shots by age group, havent seen one for a while.

1 Like

363,124 doses were given yesterday, of which 30,389 were second doses, and 305,642 were Booster shots. 16,950,016 are now fully vaccinated which is 72.51% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/FyE6lHczXQ2U5xCfbp7hnA

2 Likes

1 Like

I guess omicron has lit some fires. The booster rates especially are climbing fast—though as before, roughly 12% of the eligible population (i.e. adults) have elected to have no vaccine, despite Minister Chen’s pleading.

Guy

1 Like

Word from my wife - very hard to get appointments for vaccine. Her coworkers and her sisters (public school teacher) coworkers are having a hard time getting appointments.
Some of them just got qualified for a booster. Moderna is in very high demand.

Our family got vaccinated very early, no issues there.

3 Likes

In this second round of booster vaccinations, it went much smoother for my wife. I’ll be traveling 30 minutes away, she will be staying in the neighborhood and will need to drive about 5 minutes to get her booster. I made both our vaccinations because I’m at a desktop computer with a big screen at work. I had to wait until 2 pm for my wife’s registration but it was very easy and fast.

But there was something weird: I got a wait a bit message when I tried the registration in English (tried 2 or 3 times), and then I thought I would click the button where you do the registration in Chinese. Got right in. Hmmmmm. The cynic in me is seeing a bad thing here.

2 Likes

384,914 doses were given yesterday, of which 32,324 were second doses, and 326,622 were Booster shots. 16,991,717 are now fully vaccinated which is 72.69% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/HutPIAWpdQLi4fwiXWK64g

2 Likes

They’ll soon get it done if vaccine passports were introduced.

Take a page out of Macron’s book, make things as difficult as possible for them.

2 Likes

Comparing vaccines Taiwan.

4 Likes

Think I may just wait for the updated pfizer omicron vaccine, idk what the point of is getting boosted if you are in shape and healthy. Somebody have an answer for me?

Getting boosted will increase your ability to avoid infection. It will not eliminate that possibility, but it will increase the odds in your favour.

Btw, you should also be aware that no new Pfizer-BNT purchases are on the horizon in Taiwan (but if mRNA vaccines are your thing, an additional 22 million vaccines from Moderna are scheduled to be delivered in 2022 and 2023).

Guy

It’s sad how truth in advertising just isn’t a thing anymore.

“COVID vaccination: the most reliable way to protect yourself from the government”.

1 Like

NPR’s got a short piece about boosters; here’s a paragraph that specifically mentions young healthy people:

Altogether, these studies show that a third dose gives you the best chance of preventing an omicron infection this winter. For some young and healthy people, catching a mild case of omicron might not be that big of a burden, but a booster still reduces your risk of spreading it to older loved ones or other vulnerable people.

“We definitely need to give this to everyone if we want to prevent omicron from spreading like wildfire — or at least, curtail its spread,” Garcia Beltran adds.

1 Like

I’m hoping for boost March timeframe and just expected them to be available. Guess I need to check my facts and figures

Apparently I was due my booster today. It’s of no interest to me, but my wife mentioned that I couldn’t get it today because the vaccine centers near us are fully booked. So, uptake is higher in Taoyuan perhaps? Maybe closer to the magical ever changing number?

Here’s where we are at now in terms of numbers. Remember that another 1,600,000 or so BNT vaccines are still coming as part of the 15,000,000 donations from Terry Guo’s foundation, TSMC, and Tzu Chi.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202201190018

Guy

2 Likes

There is still about 1.6M of the 15M order to be delivered, and yes, after that no more are on order.

1 Like