Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - April 2021

I would definitely wait with the mixing until there is an official statement/study/recommendation is out. Plus you might get refused to receive a shot in the US if you already took a first dose somewhere else.

3 Likes

That’s my plan. Don’t really have a choice unless the US starts distributing AZ soon.

Well, if you take them in different countries there’s no way for the vaccinating authorities to know this unless you volunteered this information to them.

For example, I could take a selfpay AZ in Taiwan this week, free Pfizer in the United States 8 weeks from now, and another dose of Pfizer 3 weeks after that…three shots instead of two.

They should release the stats of the side effects of eating bad food in numerous night markets, air pollution and compare to the vaccine side effects probability.

2 Likes

By booster effect I’m referring to the second dose of a two-dose course, which I think is the topic of discussion?

I know

As I said, I don’t think that’s his point. His other posts since that seem to indicate this as well.

I’d just get one AZ now, two Pfizer in the US and another AZ when back in Taiwan.

But I’m not too risk adverse. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Got the shot today in Tri Services Neihu. A bit chaotic, but not too bad.

Almost everything there is in Chinese only, but some English speaking volenteers around - so no problem. Here’s the general proceedings, assuming you are already registered there:

1. Sign up online: Coronavirus vaccine in Taiwan - #324 by olm

Take a screenshot or photo.

1. Go to the hospital around the beginning of the time frame mentioned in the reservation and proceed to the room number mentioned there. Volenteers can help you find it. Bring 600NTD cash, passport, health insurance card (NHI card)

Note: if you haven’t been to this hospital yet you probably need to register first. No idea how, I guess ask the information desk.

1. Insert your health insurance card into the slot at the monitor next to the room. This will let them know that you arrived. Remove the card after the computer voice is done talking.

2. Go to the desk in the back of this area, fill out the COVID form. Use your passport number, not Arc number. It’s Chinese only, but again a volenteer will help.

3. Measure your blood pressure and pulse at the machine in the back. Chinese only. Insert your health insurance card. Keep pressing buttons on the screen until it shows you a grey button that you can’t actually press. Insert your naked arm into the machine. Then press the blue button on the measurement machine. It will measure now. After its done, write down the 3 numbers in the upper right area of the COVID form.

4. Wait. You will be called as soon as it’s your turn. Numbers will be mixed up, since your arrival time counts - not the reservation number sequence. Either the number mentioned in your reservation shows up on the screen (left number is “please enter”, right number is “you’re next”), or a nurse will come out and call your number.

5. Go into the room, give them the form, passport, health insurance card. They will ask you some questions in good English, like are you allergic to vaccines etc. They give you another form to fill out, and the yellow vaccine card to fill out by yourself. I filled them out while I was in there, others filled them out outside and a nurse came out to pick them up after a few minutes.

6. Wait outside the room until they come out and give you some printed papers as well as your vaccination card.

7. Go to a cashier and pay 600NTD. One cashier is in the hallway close to the doctor room - the sign says “cashier” in English, people are ligning up there. Another option is the central big cashier in the hospital entry area. They give you a receipt.

8. Proceed to the vaccination room. Volenteer will tell you how to get there.

9. Wait in the short line. Give them your papers, health insurance card and vaccination card.

10. Sit down and get the shot, choose the arm side you want

11. They give you back your stuff and then tell you to wait 30min nearby - in case you have a shock reaction. A sticker is placed on your hand showing the time you got the shot and the time you can leave.

12. Wait there (or proceed to the basement food court and eat)

13. Done, remove the sticker from your hand now

In around 9:30, out around 11, including lunch. If you come earlier, or pay at the smaller cashiers not the main one you might be able to shave off some time.

9 Likes

Even in a thread dedicated only to the coronavirus vaccine, only in Taiwan, it’s got to become about the US.

To get back on track, I think it’s interesting that almost no one here has been vaccinated but it was easy for me to get a date to get the jab. If it’s this difficult to get the highest risk people vaccinated, it seems like it will be impossible to get to 70%.

5 Likes

Indeed - I’m curious what if any kind of promotion of the vaccines has been going on, but I’ve been surprised that basically the only vocal reaction I’ve heard from local people is “Nope, the vaccine is too risky.”

4 Likes

Yet anytime they go to see a doctor they go home with a handful of pills (which are often outdated generic medicines) and no one is wondering about the side effects of those. I think a mass campaign could help to change how the general public currently sees the situation.

The fact that in Taiwan things are currently being under control is indeed very cool, but unfortunately that can change anytime so getting people vaccinated is extremely important even in Taiwan. But that’s just my personal opinion.

4 Likes

Any of the women of Forumosa have taken the shot?

I believe @starla.986 is female, although I may be incorrect (sorry if I so!); they’ve posted upthread a few times.
https://tw.forumosa.com/t/coronavirus-vaccine-in-taiwan/202980/567?u=lostinasia

Ok, so Mckay is full, has anyone tried others not so full? My pal got TriService in Neihu, says not a lot of people but many furriners.

Yes I have on Saturday morning. Still alive so far. No more obvious side effects, but I’m very tired. But, it’s hard to know if that’s from the vaccine or not.

4 Likes

Don’t they open slots two weeks ahead of time? You may find tomorrow morning you can book for the newly opened day.

EDIT: I currently see around 15 open slots at MacKay for May 13. And I assume May 14 will open tomorrow morning.

Heh. Well, that’s theoretically the best side effect of all, isn’t it?

I would get them if they were free. But since I gotta pay, I will wait.

Yep TriService in Neihu, not a lot of people but many furriners. Today: In around 9:30, out around 11, including lunch.

2 Likes

Reference? Proof?