Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - April 2021

Yes, good point. I thought of one side effect that I have had for the past few nights… really vivid dreams. I hardly ever remember my dreams, so this must definitely be related somehow. A quick Google search says that is a fairly common side effect of all the Covid vaccines. Fascinating. I wonder why?

3 Likes

In response to popular demand:

More will be needed.

Guy

7 Likes

“Out of the estimated 868,000 people on the priority list that have been granted eligibility, only 38,222, or 4.4 percent, have gotten a shot.”

Those numbers don’t really inspire confidence. Vaccination officially started on Mar. 22 from what I recall.

4 Likes

It is a relatively well known fact in the pharma industry that in Taiwan generic drugs (some of them, of course not all of them) are subject of concern overall. General requirement for generic drugs to be considered the equivalent of the original one the active ingredient must achieve a dissolution rate of 80-120 or 125% (I cant recall the exact number). Now the problem is that in Taiwan that from the NHIA generic drug manufacturers are under extreme pressure to reduce drug prices, even to the point where they are simply unable to make money. Because of this manufacturers are keep reducing active ingredients and often hospitals and clinics are purchasing medicines which are effective but considered to be outdated (and out of use in many countries) mainly due to increased number of side effects. I would like to highlight that I am not here to protect any pharma companies, just for the context. It is also VERY important to mention that generic medications are saving millions of lives each year, they are accessible and most often they are great alternatives and you should not be scared if you are being offered a generic medicine.

Anyways, my only point with my original comment was that most people taking all kinds of medications all the time (one of the reasons why Taiwan has one of the highest antimicrobial resistance rates) without checking side effects yet they afraid of COVID vaccination side effects. That`s it.

There were several studies and articles in the topic, if you are interested. Here are a few ones popped up first in google.

If you can, get vaccinated :wink:

2 Likes

I’d like to do it, but the scheduling is so limited. I’ll have to wait until it’s available all day every day I guess.

Side effects are almost completely gone for me now–Had my jab on Monday. Yesterday was rough. But last night I slept perfectly and today feel almost perfectly fine.

8 Likes

It’s great that we got access to these vaccines, don’t get me wrong.

I still don’t think we (foreigners and Taiwanese ) should have paid for them though.

Especially as the government has purchased so many (some of which they may throw out ) and not rolling out the vaccination program efficiently overall.

4 Likes

They eventually (hopefully sooner than later) need to command huge spaces (example: some exhibition halls, places like that) to organize and administer the doses.

It does not seem however that the Taiwan authorities are in any hurry to do so…

Guy

Priority should be combating vaccine hesitancy. I’m blown away by how many Taiwanese don’t want a vaccine or think it’s risky or dangerous.

Otherwise sensible people too.

Maybe they should hand out a free Hello Kitty face mask to people who get it done or something.

4 Likes

Prediction- some localised community spread will occur and all hell will break loose as people clamour at the gates for vaccines.

4 Likes

Please no!

Guy

2 Likes

Technically, we’re not paying for them.
Someone posted the receipt from the “self-pay” vaccine. The charges are only covering the hospital admin/registration charges. The vaccine itself is not charged.

1 Like

It seems there is quite a bit of demand, judging by how quickly the vaccine slots have recently filled up at each hospital, just not in the priority groups.

As more people get it done, and tell their friends and family, perhaps there will be a FOMO effect spreading, and demand will increase (also helped by the recent local clusters).

Yeah but what is gongfei then ?What am I paying NHI for then ?
The government should be covering all the cost and pushing forward instead of doing it this way. They will have lots of expired product wasted if they don’t.

If it’s on gongfei then I guess you are getting a reduction on some of the fees. A bit like when you get a prescription here on national insurance, most of the cost is covered, but you still have to pay something towards the cost.

I do agree that in this case, the whole thing should be free, widely available, and not so administratively complicated. It’s a benefit to all of society to get as many people as possible jabbed.

3 Likes

I guess they only had experience with sars, not mass vaccination of a pandemic. Plus taiwan got left behind with vaccines. The only reason it’s even offered is because none of the priority people wanted them, think they are waiting for moderna.

Broadly true. Let’s see what happens with the Moderna batches. Long term quarantine is going to seriously suck. Our proud Taiwanese American geese will by flying away quicksmart.:metal:

I haven’t been following too closely, but it would seem to me that they should make it free to the most at risk populations while ensuring not a single vaccination gets wasted. Just open up and say everyone over 85, register to get it. If you don’t get enough in a few days, move on to 75, then to 65, or cancer survivors, or obese, whatever…just get the vaccine out there.

Regardless, I’m more than happy to pay 600NT to get some protection before I travel to the States.

4 Likes

They should just open to it everybody except kids I think.

It kinda is now. Just say you’re an international traveler. They aren’t even asking I thought.