Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

My little brother is actually participating in a vaccine trial in another country. He’s getting paid well for it.

2 Likes

Is it the sort of trial where they give you a vaccine and they hope it works.

Or the sort of trial where they give you a vaccine and stick you in a room of infected people,
then you really hope it works?

I dunno. We’re not on the best of terms, so I find out most secondhand from our mom. I know that there’s two groups, one is given a placebo and one is given the real thing. So my mom is hoping he gets the real thing as he can’t sign up for any approved vaccines in the meantime (this will take 3 months or so) and there’s a bad Delta outbreak where they are.

I think because of the outbreaks they are running the tests at 75% vaccine 25% placebo,
but I suppose that’s why you get paid as you know you’re taking a chance.

just hope he can minimise his own risk while in the trial.

1 Like

No. That’s unethical. They release you into the wild for a few months and see which ones became infected.

1 Like

Welcome to the covid challenge.
(no its not the latest Facebook craze)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02821-4

1 Like

The New Taipei City Government said today that if the central government distributes insufficient COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) vaccines, there will be no vaccine to vaccinate. It will be suspended from August 1 to 4; Yunlin County will be suspended from 31 to August 4 Vaccinations are suspended, while appointments in Chiayi City are suspended.

1 Like

Basically huge shortage all over Taiwan. Taipei also. We knew August was going to be rough. Let’s hope no Delta outbreak

1 Like

Imagine how bad it’d be without the donations from Japan and the USA.

7 Likes

Yes or the BNT coming that have been donated

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I have trouble getting aboard this CECC/DPP redemption arc some are pushing. We were extremely lucky to get all these donations and private deals and we’re still going to wrestle with a shortage. Hope my appointment isn’t cancelled.

1 Like

On the plus side, this shows that vaccine uptake so far has been very good. Better than having our existing stockpile sitting around!

Also: I recall some Japanese minister indicating a while ago that more AZ was coming from the land of rising Olympics. You never want to count on gifts like this, but I doubt they would make such an assurance without actually delivering. Presumably this would happen after the sporting circus has left town?

Guy

2 Likes

Only 83,793, or about 1%, of the 8.28 million COVID-19 vaccine registrants in Taiwan have chosen or elected to switch their preference to the domestic vaccine developed by Medigen Vaccine Biologics Corp since the latest round of registration opened on Tuesday (July 27).

Well at least it’s 83,000 less units of pressure on our quickly depleting AZ and Moderna stock. That’s like… 4 donations from Lithuania! :wink:

But yeah, pretty pathetic. Domestic vax wasn’t doomed from the start, but they should’ve just bought a lot more AZ and Moderna when they could, and released this Medigen when it was truly ready after a thorough Phase 3 trial, even if that took an extra few months. And also, not politicize it so much with this nonsense about President Tsai waiting for it. I think if they went through the proper steps it’d be much more widely accepted.

3 Likes

90k chose Medigen only. 500k say Medigen is ok

4 Likes

Lucky? Sure.

But we also built bridges. Taiwan was there when others needed it.

2 Likes

They say it’s about Taiwan helping and maybe it is to an extent, but for Japan AND USA this is also about sending China a message.

1 Like

Sure! It can be about that too. Not mutually exclusive.

But it helps when your help doesn’t come with strings attached.

It helps when your government doesn’t scream at you to thank them.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

I don’t think relying on donations can be spun as a good thing. It’s good that it happened and everyone is thankful, but it’s not great and a bit embarrassing.