Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

That’s hilarious. It’s the same technology as novavax, that doesn’t make it the same.

1 Like

There’s a lot of Medigen cheerleaders on the subreddit, bless their hearts.

I haven’t heard anyone tout the United Biomedical vaccine yet. That’s like looked down upon even among Medigen backers. Who was the guy who pulled the short straw and has to wait for it in Tsai’s cabinet again? Vice President?

1 Like

Felt very weird for me as well.

2 Likes

Had McDonald’s outside of Songshan Station last night. I kept pulling my mask back up between bites. And I felt people were looking at me. Now in Hualien and I guess indoor dining at restaurants (all?, most?) is happening. I’m sure I’ll feel weird wherever we end up going.

4 Likes

Everyone wants it to do well, but it’s the only vaccine in the world to be approved without a Phase 3 clinical trial(right now).

1 Like

Weren’t the other vaccines launched with incomplete phase III data? Only as the vaccines rolled out did we see the real numbers of adverse events and get much better data on efficacy.

I would be an optimist on the Medigen data so far. Little evidence of abnormal events and very good antibody titer.
Yes phase III is the one we want to see for real world efficacy and rare abnormal events , protein subunit vaccines don’t have as many adverse reactions usually. Also a well established form of vaccine.

Would I take it before the others right now , no. Would I take it as a booster now. Yes. Would I take it if govt paid me? :grin: Yes.
If I was more patriotic for Taiwan I might also take it.

1 Like

Well for most of us here, we have people and places to visit overseas. I’m sure many of us haven’t seen family and friends for a long time. If you take Medigen, don’t expect to see it receive international recognition until at least the phase III trials are completed. But I expect many places will never recognise it.

Not really, except for the Chinese vaccines and Sputnik, the western vaccines all waited until they reached a preset number of Covid cases in the Phase III study groups before receiving EUA. The only reason they were technically approved before completion of Phase III is that the Phase III trials continued to show long term effects, but all showed actual real world efficacy before receiving approval, not true with Medigen.

2 Likes

I think only the Russian and Chinese ones were launched before starting phase 3 trials, but those were different times, when the world was in a rush. The rest had preliminary data. Medigen hasn’t even started and we are not sure when they will

1 Like

Yeah the data looks good so far and it could be a great vaccine.

2 Likes

I did the same :rofl: . Then a security guard on a building came to talk to me and I thought he would tell me to go away, but he kindly offered me to eat inside his building’s lobby because it was raining. I thanked him but went to back alley because I felt safer eating outside.

5 Likes

Many of us will likely carry these scars and traumas for years. :neutral_face:

Guy

4 Likes

Taiwan can help ‘diplomacy’ pays off.

9 Likes

How can you’ve had a coffee inside Starbucks?

Say what now?

1 Like

You can eat in restaurants in Linkou.

Oh yeah, that’s Taoyuan, the place where everything started, twice!

Whatever. I’m finally eating in restaurants this weekend! :rofl:

1 Like

The man is not in northern Taiwan.

We’re not all in Taipei, you know! :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of the Japanese government decided today that people over the age of 40 will open the British pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) vaccine at public expense.

2 Likes