Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

About the number I was expecting, sadly. Better than nothing, but with COVAX distributing it, who knows when it’ll even get here.

So US is donating 80 million worldwide of which 7 million will go to Asia of which 10% were given to Taiwan.

Correct?

1 Like

Lol yeah… not unsurprising tbh. The outgoing AIT director did kind of hint that any vaccine help wouldn’t be a lot.

1 Like

This is the first 25 million. Possibility of more in future I guess?

1 Like

It is eminently sensible for the CECC to require solid proof of origin and authorisation for any vaccines being imported.

The EU has already put out warnings about fraudulent vaccines currently being offered:

https://ec.europa.eu/anti-fraud/media-corner/news/15-02-2021/olaf-warns-against-fraudsters-offering-covid-19-vaccines_en

2 Likes

Anyway it’s a good sign 3 US Senators visited Taiwan and made this vaccine donation. Not a huge windfall, but it helps. And 3 Senators visiting is a good show of support… in contrast, you don’t see US Senators visiting China often these days.

1 Like

don’t you know they were trying to buy BNT vaccine? It is true that they could get it due to political reasons.

3 Likes

Does this mean non-citizens, like those with ARC and NHI, need to pay? Are we eligible at all?

2 Likes

is it announced somewhere?

This announcement doesn’t say about 2nd doses.

I doubt they will differentiate in this instance.

The “no payment” idea will significantly speed things up as it’ll help bypass the cashier / receipt step that some forumosans have experienced.

That’s really the benefit, along with trying to remove possible financial / class barriers to vaccination.

Guy

1 Like

He has claimed that a number of times. Whether it’s true or not hard to say unless you have inside information

That’s not a lot. Should’ve been 7.5 million doses.

1 Like

Surprisingly the American authorities didn’t ask me for my opinion on this matter.

Guy

3 Likes

The world is a big place with lots of people who need help. That’s not an insignificant number, it’s all going to add up.

13 Likes

Do you have ANY evidence at all that it is not the case?
If not, it seems you’re just trying to muddy the waters and cast doubt on the CECC.
And that seems unhelpful in the current situation.

Don’t bet on it! I got a repeat prescription recently and paid up in full at the first visit, to collect the prescription the next time I still have to go to a cashier to get a number to pick up the meds even though I don’t have to pay…This is in a hospital.

2 Likes

I believe 20 million will be held back for emergency purposes.

I’m with your sentiment, though. Imagine if it was several million. The Taiwanese and China would never forget that.

I’m hearing more is coming. Let’s see.

According to this article (if I’m reading correctly), most of the US 750,000 doses are of the 1-dose J&J type:

5 Likes

If they were trying to buy BNT vaccinations why did it take until very recently that they will approve EUA next week?