Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

There are 3 Vaccines in Clinical Trials in Taiwan:

• COVAXX: UB-612 (Phase 3)
  • Medigen: MVC-COV1901 (Phase 2)
  • Adimmune Corporation: AdimrSC-2f (Phase 1)

More info
https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/country/taiwan/

2 Likes

I got my first Moderna vaccine this week and this was my result.

Funny I recovered from the fever faster than how I usually recover from fevers.

Deaths in the UK have dropped by 99% and continue to go down. I went back last July and it was pretty safe, will be even safer now. Go back and see your folks while you have a good chance to.

3 Likes
  1. Why? Of course unpleasant for you, but makes more sense to give more people a single dose in terms of reducing infections. And even more sense to give doses to high priority groups in case of excess demand

2. No, only Sputnik has differences between the first and second jab, AstraZeneca does not

1 Like

That is actually not a big, but a small number. Western trials had like ten times the number of participants and even they were smaller than normally given the special circumstances

2 Likes

Yeah, I got the first shot of AZ this week but was told they wonā€™t have any more AZ shots coming in the near future, so I guess Iā€™m gonna have to fly home to get the second shot. Not ideal.

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right. Iā€™m not worried about ā€œsafetyā€ as such; my only concern is the possibility of ending up stuck somewhere for months on end (again) due to Men With Clipboards. But Iā€™m thinking that, under the circumstances, thatā€™s not a major consideration.

Some argue that a large number of partial vaccinations might increase the number of mutations and especially encourage mutations which allow infections despite vaccination. Thatā€™s why some countries give priority to the second dose over vaccinating more people.

1 Like

No evolutionary reason for the wide spread of escape mutations if there are so many unvaccinated people around ready to be infected

Sure, if youā€™re being utterly irresponsible and arenā€™t interested in actually getting valid results.

As Shui said, itā€™s a very small number. Definitely too small to pick up those one-in-a-million events like the blood-clot issue that was spotted elsewhere.

If you have an adverse reaction that affects 1 in 10,000 people (which you still wouldnā€™t spot in a trial this size) then thatā€™d be 1000+ people harmed in a population the size of Taiwan.

2 Likes

Might be a dumb question, but here goes:

How will they measure efficacy rate while developing a vaccine in Taiwan? There are very few cases here, so both placebo (control) and test groups are very unlikely to get infected anytime soon. How would we know about the performance of these new vaccines against the UK and other variants?

People forget that AZ, Moderna and Pfizer were developed in worse affected parts of the world at a time when the virus was rampant.

1 Like

I canā€™t help wondering if itā€™s not locally-developed at all. Thereā€™s a longstanding tradition of unofficial scientific and military collaboration with Taiwan. Itā€™s possible theyā€™ve licensed a whole raft of stuff, or are co-operating with expert teams elsewhere for testing.

1 Like

They are offering Moderna in Taiwan now??

We canā€™t really be sure. Not for another 10 years.

Send them to a Wanhua ā€˜tea storeā€™?

2 Likes

Atleast Pfizer, Moderna and AZ have shown great results worldwide at nullifying deaths and hospitalizations. If this vaccine is indeed being developed locally, Iā€™m not sure how they will be able to produce any stats with a reasonable confidence interval.

Heā€™s not in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Yes they have stats. But vaccines takes years to develop, take like 10ā€™years to study efficacy across various age groups, pregnant patients etc. what we have here is something rushed.

Even if we forget about efficacy and just focus on severe symptoms (hospitalizations and deaths), Iā€™m not sure how a locally developed vaccine would be able to provide any infoā€¦

Covid Deaths in Placebo Group: 0
Covid Deaths in Vaccinated Group: 0

Our vaccine has NaN hospitalization/efficacy rate!!

4 Likes

First of all, I started off that I know this was somewhat a selfish approach but at the same time doing vaccination for priority groups is one thing and I can support that but this shouldā€™ve been communicated clearly and ahead. Also 10000 vaccine administered to people as a first one is like 0.005 % of the population extra. I doubt that can slow down any pandemic. On the other side of the scale youā€™ll have 0.005%of the population with presumably weaker protection and most of us would have to travel as part of our job.

Again, thats why I recommended this should be discussed. I am willing to debate on anything and understand potential benefits (eventhough I am not convinced as of now) my point is that communication again was missing from the government or authorities.