Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

319,665 as of yesterday… so they started using new doses?

Doses from the new shipment are apparently to be administered starting on Friday.

Guy

1 Like

we need more than just 400k doses… we need millions. And it’s not looking like America is providing any.

Expect forced deal with fosun. The blues will push this group and force the central government to do it.

Maybe the Pfizer vaccine should have been already approved without a ruckus?

reality check.

As you may have noticed, there is no Pfizer vaccine in Taiwan.

Guy

2 Likes

Chen not approving mixing vaccines? Ugh, more dumb bureaucratic rules slowing down vaccination rates.

3 Likes

As you may have noticed, I referred to it should have been approved :laughing:

Yeah though if they were going to help Japan before the Olympics (who knows if this will actually go forward) they could have done this way sooner.

All round bleah!

Guy

Ok then how do you explain the extra doses administered?

We have exactly one (1) kind of vaccine in our nation’s portfolio right now. Minister Chen’s pronouncement is not the end of the world.

Guy

When I read this, I see extra words added to the defacto ambassador’s actual words.

Yes I agree. But as Stanton put it in his latest excellent article positive platitudes without actual concrete commitments or plans are pretty much worthless right now.

Stanton btw thinks such a lack of concrete action in helping Taiwan is a mistake and is not in the US’s best interests security wise.

Source (posted elsewhere, but I’ll put it here should you be interested): In a time of danger, US should help its family and friends first | Taiwan News | 2021-05-25 21:47:00

Guy

1 Like

Maybe it’s just a matter of time.

For what? The US has committed to nothing so far.

That is of course their perogative. But given our neighbour, you’d think there would be a case to be made to reconsider.

Guy

Maybe it’s more of having the authorities in charge to allow the Pfizer deal to go through?

Anyway, whatever they do I don’t think it would announce it like that. Taiwan case is too sensitive.

If the US government were to help out with vaccines (there is no indication that this is happening, btw), they would almost certainly make a big deal out of it—lots of smiles, helping out our friends, etc.

If available, I’d take it, and I’m not even American! :grin:

Guy

I think we should mention about how vaccines are just being distributed…and how Taiwan NHI historically doesn’t pay sufficient enough to make drug companies to care.

After it happens, or a couple of days before they arrive…better avoid Winnie the Poo shenanigans.