Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

J & J would be great, since it’s one shot. But you know the paid off social media influencers would be scaremongering about blood clots.Influencers say Russia-linked PR agency asked them to disparage Pfizer vaccine | Marketing & PR | The Guardian

1 Like

I guess that makes sense (kind of…). It does seem though like any SOP is going to be some variation of “inject in arm”…and you would have thought this could be planned for without having received the actual vials. :man_shrugging:

It also says in that article that they’d already received a sample of 10 vials before May 19 (not stated when exactly), presumably for this very reason. Anyway, here’s another shrug. :man_shrugging:

On May 19, as Taiwan received 400,000 doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19, it also received a batch of sample doses of the coronavirus vaccine made by Moderna. During a press conference that evening, Wu Shou-mei (吳秀梅), director-general at the Taiwan Food and Drug Administration (FDA), said that Taiwan had received 20 sample vials of the Moderna vaccine, with each vial containing 10 doses, the equivalent to 200 doses.

Therefore, the FDA needs to have samples of the product ahead of time to set up a standard operating procedure for handling it, said Wu.

3 Likes

You are probably right but they will find it easier said than done. Taiwan’s semiconductors tech is legit. It will take so much money and effort to catch up to Taiwan that I doubt anyone will be able to do that in the foreseeable future. Just look at EU as an example they earmarked 160 billion USD to compete with TSMC but they concluded they can’t and it’s better to just pay some money for TSMC or Samsung to set up shop there.

Typical government bureaucrats they need to get with the program.

Of course they put themselves at the second highest priority for shots.

1 Like

Also:

According to Chen, the vaccine will be stored in special freezers in 22 counties and cities. He further stated that all local health departments are capable of maintaining the vaccine in frozen form at minus 20 degrees Celsius.

Wow, go Taiwan. Such technology. :blush:

I’m capable of doing that. There’s some space in my freezer just next to the chicken.

5 Likes

Next up: Taiwan will use this to boast about its domestic freezer technology.

3 Likes

Haha. Exactly!

Precisely.

I cant remember where I read it, but somewhere said its not a normal Phase 2 and is the biggest vaccine trial with the most people involved in the whole of Taiwan. All the universities and hospitals etc came together. It could also be total bollocks and Im imagining I read that

Probably just PR nonsense. It’s not a lot of people.

I believe there were quite a few locations in Taiwan and Vietnam though (TMUH, for example - a doctor there told me that hospital was involved).

Do you remember in April when we all thought that Taiwan was really good at stuff?

5 Likes

With our luck there will be another power outage and all these freezers will become ovens cooking some vaccine soup.

2 Likes

I just found out that the Moderna vaccine will arrive or has arrived in Taiwan.
But only less than 200,000 doses are available.

It’ll take a long while before it gets to the general public.

Japan is considering donating vaccines to Taiwan… I guess the Japanese do not want them.

2 Likes

But by the time they run through the priorities the virus should be controlled, as the priorities are the most at risk people, and people most likely to spread them.

Probably, but I am wondering how would that affect businesses if it takes this long when everyone and everywhere else is back to normal. Or will there be normal, or a “new normal”?

What’s going on in Japan? They’re only 6% (partially or fully) vaxed, yet are barely recovered from their 4th and largest wave.

1 Like

Korea uses KakaoTalk so that people can register for leftover shots to prevent them from going to waste (currently the general public there can only get shots if they are 65 or older crowd).

Maybe something Taiwan can look to emulate when more vaccines are available and vaccination of general population starts? Everyone similarly has Line and integrating a registration system and maybe online payment (Line pay?) can help speed up the extremely slow vaccination process in Taiwan. Vaccines should just be free by that point but who knows.

1 Like

Lawsuits. 1992 court ruling.

Japan’s excellent healthcare system.

And an assortment of things.