Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

We would like to get out second dose first let alone choose our vaccine. I’m not aware of any other situation worldwide like this where people who got a first dose don’t know if they can get the second dose. Shitshow.

1 Like

Survey says 70% of Taiwanese are now willing to get vaxxed. Good. Bad news: less than 20% want the domestic vaccines the government is betting so heavily on.

2 Likes

It might help if they would just admit that it isn’t actually “domestic” but has been developed in collaboration with foreign agencies and pharma companies.

Even so, it’s not unreasonable for people to decline something that’s going through some cha bu duo testing.

2 Likes

I didn’t say anything that they were her remarks. Follow politics around and you’ll see why that’s her nickname.

“Collaboration” is too strong a word I believe. If I understand correctly, Medigen licensed some stuff from NIH, which is what a lot of vaccine makers do.

The company behind the vaccine is Taiwanese. The production would be Taiwanese.

I think convincing Taiwanese that these vaccines aren’t “domestic” would require that they be approved in other countries. Developed countries. Don’t see that happening anytime soon.

4 Likes

China did not say they did not want that to happen. What they did say was they did not allow procuring vaccines as a proxy to independence.

I could not find it. I think it is just a hint on how it will work.
We will see soon.

1 Like

I don’t blame them. They haven’t exactly been transparent about the clinical trials. I’m usually very critical of vaccine hesitancy, but I can understand people having reservations about Medigen.

2 Likes

It should go like this:

“NHI card please”?

“Wait there to get your shot”!

4 Likes

America can help.

1 Like

Pfizer vaccine manufacturing site in Belgium hired 200 (and plans to hire 100 more soon) new employees since beginning of the year to crank-up production. Planning to deliver 2.5 billion doses in 2021.

1 Like

Is there any cultural aspects of Germany that should be factored in as BNT distribution is concerned? This cartoon says a lot about the history and current mindset of German private corporations.

1 Like

If you are concerned about cultural aspects you should factor in that BNTs CEO is an immigrant and was not born in Germany.

2 Likes

I was not aware of that. would check it out…

Whoa… a whole 200! Is Pfizer a mom and pop store?

1 Like

Pfizer/BNT vaccine is in the final stages of being approved in China. If they sell directly to Taiwan this process could hit an ‘unexpected’ roadblock. China is much bigger market than Taiwan. Money and politics talk even in life saving vaccine distribution.

1 Like

Of course.
Everyone wants to get paid for their work.
And profit is better if you sell to many than sell to few is not secret either.

Extra! They have 3,000.

1 Like

We tried but it looks like you’re on your own. Good luck!

“Trust me when I said that the German government, in particular Economy Minister (Peter) Altmaier himself, has made tremendous efforts, in serving as a bridge in the negotiations between Taiwan and BioNTech over the issue,” Thomas Prinz, director general of German Institute Taipei said in a Facebook post.

The institute serves as Germany’s de facto embassy in Taiwan in the absence of official diplomatic ties.

The German government, however, has no control over the terms of a potential contract as only the parties of the potential contract have a say over the issue, Prinz said.

The diplomat said he had complete confidence in Taiwan’s containment of the latest domestic coronavirus outbreak over the past weeks, and hoped that more vaccines from different brands, including BioNTech, can be imported quickly to help lower infection rates.

Good luck Terry Guo!

We’re counting on you! Go go go!