Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - November/December 2021

well that’s good news.

Doctor and nurses and other high priority groups initially having a significant number of people refuse to get vaccinated with AZ which then kicked off the vaccine hesitancy in Taiwan with all the media outlets and their piss poor reporting about the vaccine, with stupid articles like “grandma dies after getting vaccinated” and you read the article and she died choking on a ball of sticky rice.

So the TV news and stupid articles like that I’m sure had a larger effect on the older population.

2 Likes

207,686 doses given yesterday, of which 186,319 were second doses. 13,538,021 are now fully vaccinated which is 57.82% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/WAp1gULYFYZPC4Ok7cKNuw

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there is a similar aversion to getting the annual 'Flu shot?

Shop&Vaxx

3 Likes

If the goodies are good enough Taiwan will be the first country to get past 100% in vaccinations. :grinning:

8 Likes

Free is the magic potion, uh, word. People will even line up to get a third shot.

2 Likes

They dont even have to be good. Taiwanese will literally do anything for free shit.

6 Likes

Like free 10nt ice cream that they have to stand in the hot sun in line for…

2 Likes

More on the low rate vaccination rate for the elderly: above I linked to a chart with only 72.8% of the 75+ age group being double-dosed in Taiwan, in comparison to 94%+ for those age 70 and over in Canada. More comparison: in the United States, they’re at 97.1% with at least one dose for those 75+. So yeah, Taiwan seems to be doing really poorly for that age group! Numbers are totally inverted here.

That Taiwan chart again:

1 Like

Though: if we give Taiwan credit, it’s that the younger generation has stepped up compared to their peers in the North America.

Guy

3 Likes

Lots of “Western” Countries seem to have that problem too - many younger people seem to think they are Bulletproof.

3 Likes

I’m curious what the marketing (for lack of a better word) has been like for the vaccines here. I can see “Protect your grandparents!” being a successful approach here - perhaps more successful than “Protect yourselves”, directed at said grandparents.

1 Like

News saying thousands of doses are being wasted as people make the appointment but don’t show up. 7000 Moderna doses in two weeks. :cry:

4 Likes

With the exception of the fat ones, they are.

Cue long Covid third person anecdotes…

As exemplified by the superstitious mother anecdote I related above.

:slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

I once saw a queue which must have been 2 hours long to get a free, limited edition MRT card. Seriously, it was like a line for a rollercoaster at Universal. I took one look and went home. I foolishly expected to be able to just walk up to the counter and get one.

I’ve seen long queues just to get a free crappy fan advertising a brand of beer at a little booth at a riverside park (weirdly, the free beer sample–a party cup sized one, so a decent amount for free–you could just walk up to a scantily dressed lady and get one without queuing)

3 Likes

Must be another slowdown between rounds as ‘only’ 165,188 doses were given yesterday, of which 158,573 were second doses. Interestingly “another 63 doses of supplementary inoculation” were also given - which I assume to be Booster shots. 13,717,515 are now fully vaccinated which is 58.59% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/43OtdUn_SnLos4UZdKgcgA

2 Likes

There’s a fearmongering line message doing the rounds, targeting elderly, saying if you have vaccine complications they are not covered by your national health insurance. :confused:

A lot of them get info from LINE groups …Fear mongering. If they get scared of omicron they may rush to get vaccinated though.
Often the kids have to persuade the ‘adults’. But even in miaoli most have some common sense to get it. I know a few resisters but I reckon as soon as they know somebody who actually has it or omicron starts spreading they will panic and get jabbed…However that may be too late for them!

Many people have regretted not having the jab and calling out for it on their death bed…Too late. Most you can do is take those pills and mabs then. Got to be taken within a few days of infection .

1 Like