Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - November/December 2021

250,898 doses were given yesterday, of which 239,621 were second doses as well as another 2077 doses of "supplementary inoculation” - which I assume to be Booster shots. 13,982,639 are now fully vaccinated which is 59.73% of the Total Population.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/yQCe8UcLBnGkdnOPBjOUNg

4 Likes

It seems we’re down to less than 10,000 new first doses per day. The news about the omicron variant has not (yet? will it ever?) led to increased uptake. Heap of vaccines of all types are available all around Taiwan. Unless things change course, we may have hit our ceiling for vaccination coverage.

Guy

2 Likes

…Which they will…Eventually …as in next year latest.

They need a third percentage of those having received a booster shot. The total number is currently 2,222.

When you take out those under age 12 who don’t qualify for vaccination, the percentages suddenly rise to about 86 and 66 (1st/2nd).

1 Like

I wonder if this will simply not be enough, especially if (and this I simply don’t know) unvaccinated persons are located in “pockets” or specific areas where the virus can continue to spread unchecked.

I hope I am wrong, but based on what I’ve seen happen in Canada, I fear I may be right. :neutral_face:

Guy

What’s the percentage that take the 'Flu vaccination each year?

The Government needs to grow a pair and simply state “take the shots or face the consequences”.

I think the “consequences” part will happen no matter what the authorities here say. They’ve been urging people to get this done, but as I found out, even adults in Taiwan who are Mandarin and English literate seem to find reasons NOT to get vaccinated (never mind a chunk of Taiwan’s elderly populace who are literate in no language at all).

Guy

I suspect it’s the 17% no-shots-at-all in the 75 years and up group, and 35% not fully vaccinated, that’s going to kill us (see upthread). Or, rather, mostly not us, but a lot of them, and that’ll lead to unnecessary fear and controls.

1 Like

What consequences did you have in mind, exactly?

What further action should the government take if people decide to take the consequences?

They could play hardball and say “If you get COVID, we’re not covering your health care costs. You are on your own.”

They could also follow Canada and say: no vaccination record, no riding highway buses, TRA, HSR, or domestic airlines.

Note: The authorities in Taiwan—unlike in Canada—have shown no indication they will enact such conditions. And with the municipal elections coming up soon in 2022, I doubt they will start playing hardball in this way right now.

Guy

They could indeed. And then you’ll have a whole bunch of people out of work, or walking to the office, or perhaps watching their elderly loved ones die in foreign countries, and becoming very, very resentful. And what will that have achieved, exactly? Apart from a few people getting a bit of fresh air and exercise, I suppose?

And when they still refuse the vaccine, as a sizeable minority will, what then would you do to them?

If you accept that this sort of thing is either unlawful or unhelpful and probably won’t materialize in Taiwan, why keep worrying about who has failed to obey? It doesn’t affect you in the slightest. It doesn’t affect them either, given the mediocre vaccine efficacy. Isn’t it time to just leave people alone?

3 Likes

Still pretty good considering most people here haven’t had much impetus to rush and get vaccinated. We can’t travel and there has hardly been much virus.

Honestly when they start giving vouchers and free coffee, will clear up all the stragglers

1 Like

I think would be quite popular here if they did that. I’m expecting all kinds of restrictions for the non vaccinated

I agree. I think most governments have realised that doing terrible things increases their chances of re-election. It’s unlikely Taiwan’s politicians have failed to understand the zeitgeist.

Fuck that Nazi shit. I’m pro-vaccine, but it should always be a personal choice.

2 Likes

Let them die and we can get on with our lives. It’s their choice. I can live with that.

1 Like

On a brighter note, the Mega City Shopping Mall in Banqiao will reportedly be among the new vaccination sites, perhaps as early as next week:

Guy

3 Likes

Perhaps I have underestimated the will to get things done. Free stuff! :stuck_out_tongue:

Guy

6 Likes

FYI:

Any preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic medical intervention is only to be carried out with the prior, free and informed consent of the person concerned, based on adequate information.

I just hope at least one supermarket doesn’t indulge in this sort of disgusting behaviour so that I can boycott those that do. I guess a-ma down at the market won’t have an impromptu vaccine booth, at least.