Costco thread 2010

I felt the same way, but I thought the new–i think–“wine” one in the double zip-pack was pretty good.

[quote=“smithsgj”]Oh yeah the other week I got offered a job at Costco, teaching 5-10 managerial types. They offered $2000 (sic) per hour. I started planning and even ordered textbooks and stuff. Then they suddenly changed their minds and said they wanted an American accent.

If any you Yanks want the gig send a PM.[/quote]
WTF thats not fair. What kinda 'cent you got?

How do you know the Costco stuff is better? From what I have read and seen of American beef rearing and processing I wouldn’t be so convinced. American cattle are raised on large doses of antibioties and hormones. Plus Costco are a huge food processing outfit, they are not exactly your local butcher selecting a nice cut and mincing it in front of you. Do they have a butcher in the supermarket or is it all shipped frozen from the US?

It is true that many countries have possibly small amounts BSE but are not officially designated as such (as I work in an industry where this is important) e.g. Brazil. What’s imost mportant is the age of the cattle and the parts used for human consumption. Taiwanese have a problem because they seem to be a dumping ground for stuff that’s not accepted into EU or other areas, they do have a point in this regard.

Buy Taiwan, but we don’t want your beef. And, BTW, can you sell (read give) us some fighter jets and subs. Hell, I don’t see anybody (well almost no one) getting sick from U.S. beef. Maybe Taiwan should buy beef from China!

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“smithsgj”]Oh yeah the other week I got offered a job at Costco, teaching 5-10 managerial types. They offered $2000 (sic) per hour. I started planning and even ordered textbooks and stuff. Then they suddenly changed their minds and said they wanted an American accent.

If any you Yanks want the gig send a PM.[/quote]
WTF thats not fair. What kinda 'cent you got?[/quote]

I’m from the UK, so I don’t speak 美語.

(3 people have PMd now to ask me for info, all with biz teaching exp)

Taiwan is BUYING (paying thru the nose) for US arms. Its not a gift ala for ISrael.

Wife came back from Costco Neihu with … an Ed Hardy T-Shirt for herself. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:
Claims one color /one model only:noway:

Should I trust her on this :ohreally: ??

If they start to sell designer brands, the UZI’s won’t be far away then :thumbsup:

Well, they’ve had BV bags for quite some time now, so it’s not completely unlikely…Christian Audigier has to finance that property he bought somehow, eh? :laughing:

Fiorucci All Natural Genoa Salami in 2x24oz packs, molto bene. :thumbsup:

No, the so called genoa salami is crap, horrible stuff. They used to have much better salami, but alas no more.
I only buy salami in citysuper these days as they have a great selection of really good stuff.

At least costco has their own brand butter back in stock again.

Hmmm, are you sure? This was the first time I had noticed this brand, and I go to Costco quite regularly. It’s made by Fiorucci Foods Inc in Colonial Heights, Virginia. Quite good and much better value than what you will pay for deli at City Super, imho.

Well, from the tiny pictures on their website it looks like the same stuff. It might be cheap, but to me it has a funny taste and its really chewy as the slices are too thick. Salami should be sliced wafer thin. But each to their own and if you like it, then great.

Right, I had the same opinion about the one I got there before, while also “Fiorucci” brand it was thick, chewy and had an off flavor. However their more recent “Wine” one I mentioned was sliced thin and not bad, as good as say Boar’s Head from the US I thought.

Ah, right, well, maybe they’ve changed it then, just didn’t bother trying it again after the first lot which went in the bin…

Yeah I wouldn’t have either but they were handing out samples. My daughter agreed it was good so we went for it. If they have that wine one i’ll get it again.

I’m more of a garlic or pepper salami person, sadly they don’t have either any more :cry:

Just to add to the discussion…
SALAMI RECALLED

As per today’s China Post:

Costco Taiwan is recalling [color=#FF0000]Daniele’s pepper coated salami[/color], because of possible concerns about [color=#FF0000]salmonella[/color].

However:

1. Costco has contacted the 1300 people who bought the stuff, and promised to bear the medical cost if someone gets sick.

2. The Department of Health in taiwan has not received reports of salmonella poisoning related to this case.

From U.S. news:
newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/the … ostco.html

oregonlive.com/news/index.ss … nella.html

[quote]Salami sold at Costco, Walmart and elsewhere is being recalled in a nationwide salmonella outbreak that touches Oregon.

So far, 184 people have been sickened nationwide, with eight cases in Oregon and 14 in Washington, said William Keene, senior epidemiologist for Oregon’s Public Health Division.

The outbreak has been linked to salami sold by Daniele Inc., based in Pascoag, R.I., which has announced the recall of its pepper-coated salami and variety packs that contain the peppered salami.

The salami was sold in grocery and big-box stores and online, including at Sam’s Club and on Amazon.com. Most was sold under the Daniele brand, but several items with the Boar’s Head, Black Bear and Dietz & Watson labels are included. All of the recalled products have a USDA mark that says “EST. 54” or “EST 9992.”

For a complete list, go to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

[/quote]

Yep, they called me last night. Twice, in fact, just to make sure I knew I wasn’t supposed to eat it. They said I could bring it back for a full refund, but unfortunately, it was consumed a couple months ago when I bought it. Thankfully none of our family got sick from it!

[quote=“Icon”]Just to add to the discussion…
SALAMI RECALLED

As per today’s China Post:

Costco Taiwan is recalling [color=#FF0000]Daniele’s pepper coated salami[/color], because of possible concerns about [color=#FF0000]salmonella[/color].

However:

1. Costco has contacted the 1300 people who bought the stuff, and promised to bear the medical cost if someone gets sick.

2. The Department of Health in taiwan has not received reports of salmonella poisoning related to this case.

From U.S. news:
newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/the … ostco.html

oregonlive.com/news/index.ss … nella.html

[quote]Salami sold at Costco, Walmart and elsewhere is being recalled in a nationwide salmonella outbreak that touches Oregon.

So far, 184 people have been sickened nationwide, with eight cases in Oregon and 14 in Washington, said William Keene, senior epidemiologist for Oregon’s Public Health Division.

The outbreak has been linked to salami sold by Daniele Inc., based in Pascoag, R.I., which has announced the recall of its pepper-coated salami and variety packs that contain the peppered salami.

The salami was sold in grocery and big-box stores and online, including at Sam’s Club and on Amazon.com. Most was sold under the Daniele brand, but several items with the Boar’s Head, Black Bear and Dietz & Watson labels are included. All of the recalled products have a USDA mark that says “EST. 54” or “EST 9992.”

For a complete list, go to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

[/quote][/quote]

I guess I was lucky and didn’t see they had that on sale :smiley:

Anyone bought one of their Vizio TV’s there? if so, what service to they offer, are these the same as to be found on TW yahoo bid?

i refrain going there a week before CNY - the crowd gives me the creeps :doh: