Costco Thread 2019

It tastes like mouthwash.

Which one? Port Charlotte?

That’s a nice one too. Great CP value, as our Taiwanese friends would say.

1 Like

That would be the Laphroaig. Beautiful medicinal mouthwash! Use at least twice a day.

1 Like

No, Laphroaig :confounded:

They were giving samples of Glenfiddich Fire & Cane and the guy offering the samples knew quite a bit about whisky profiles. We were walking the aisle and he was telling me about all of them.

I saw the display for that last night. Looks interesting, although until I read the label I thought Glenfiddich was introducing something to compete with Canada’s Fireball. Label seems to say the fire comes from peat, though, not cinnamon.

If anybody picks up a bottle of the Fire and Cane, please review it.

Laphroaig is similar to durian in one way (of course it tastes nothing like durian).

Smelling durian you’d think you’re smelling an open latrine; smelling Laphroaig you’d think you’re smelling an open bottle of Liquid Smoke. Neither seems like a natural food, or even something you’d want to place in your mouth.

Tasting durian you’d think you’re tasting white chocolate and cream, with a hint of cinnamon. Tasting Laphroaig you’d think you’re tasting an XO cognac made from barley that’s been spiced up with some black pepper.

To me both are like 180 degrees from expectation, and much, MUCH better than you’d think. To me it’s a bit of magic. Both completely subvert expectations, and I like that. But I also know that plenty of people disagree with me, on one or both of 'em.

It doesn’t work that way for me :slight_smile: But ditto on disagreement.

Has anyone bought the LED mosquito traps they sell at Costco 2x1?

I haven’t due to the fact that mosquitoes are not attracted to LED lights or any other lights really.

1 Like

Yet the light thing is a component of those more traditional lamps they sell for mosquito killing purposes.

At 1000 NTD for two they are quite an investment.

I never had luck with those ‘standing’ mosquito lighted traps. They are not attracted to light but if they get close to one it is possible they will get ‘disoriented’ by the light and fly in to their death. But in a home where there is only 1 or 2 mosquitoes they never go in. When i moved i just ‘donated’ it.

For me those kinds of traps are only useful if you have a open window (no screen) all the time and get lots of mosquito traffic-- like with open-air restaurants or a lobby area of a building.

I still just stick to the handheld racket zappers.

Yes I own one of the mushroom looking mosquito traps, it works pretty well. It emits CO2 and heat, which fools the mosquitos into thinking it’s a living person - they’re then sucked in by the fan and die due to dehydration. You can improve the effectiveness by putting a bottlecap of handcream inside too (mosquitos are attracted to skin oil, and handcream simulates it).

Don’t bother with the blue-light bug zappers, they’re cheaper but don’t work for mosquitos at all.

1 Like

I visited my Costco early last weekend, and I was surprised to see so many cars already parked inside, considering we were one of the first in there.

Do Taiwanese use Costco as free parking? What exactly happens if you leave your car in the Costco parking lot overnight or even for a week?

1 Like

Our local Carrefour added parking fees for that very reason, first few hours free of charge. Your number plate is scanned on entry. One car was apparently parked there for years without being moved.
On the weekends you always had to wait to get a spot. Doesn’t happen anymore.

That Carrefour is mid town and has a big bus station outside. There is plenty of paid parking right outside of the mall.

1 Like

The discussion was going so good with the single malts and whiskeys. Then somebody had to mention mosquito traps. Now it’s parking.

1 Like

For 500 NTD a piece, I was hopping they would. Thanks for the endorsement.

That is something they really need to get on the ball about.

Yes they do, I often wonder what percentage of the people are actually shopping. Some have introduced paid parking where you show purchases for free parking, makes sense.

All I’ve ever seen Costco do is but notes on windshields.