Costco Thread 2019

Of course. My point is just this:

If Costco were to suffer [their definition of too much] fraud, then they would probably consider closing/moving the location over changing their return policy. In that way, their return policy is rock solid.

I’m not trying to position myself here as an expert on Costco. I freely admit I am not. Apologize up front if I stepped on any toes.

Sorry, might not have been the best example.

Still, I can imagine a world where Costco’s return policy could put it at risk for extensive fraud. That’s all I’m trying to say.

This may be the best “chutzpah vs returns policy” story I’ve heard regarding Costco. No questions asked, that’s one for the books.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there are even wilder stories now in China, though.

There are over 2.2 million card holders in Taiwan spread over their 13 stores. They’re not going to close stores due to fraud. They do refuse membership to those who abuse their returns policy, there are no numbers published as to how many however the famous >80% return guy who complained about having his membership renewed to the press shows it happens. Super Unsatisfied

They do change their return policies, the 90 limit is due to excessive returns in the US of electronics, TV’s in particular. In Taiwan returns are usually refused on food items which are out of date.

There are regular abuses which, as a member, I think Costco should put a stop to. A common one I seen was on diapers with the purchase of a second carton getting a 50% discount, there were a significant number of people lined up at the returns desk, having just come from the cashier, to return the “first” carton and get a full refund therefore only purchasing the 50% off carton.

The milk incidents from some years ago with people buying carts full of milk, opening them, and then immediately returning them as a protest against the manufacturer should have seen those people banned from Costco. Milk Fiends

The saurkraut and chopped onions fiends are another group who should be told where to go…

2 Likes

Holy crap, are you kidding?

Some of Costco’s most successful stores are reportedly in Taiwan, Amcham article, the 2.2 million was reported in 2017, Costco Taiwan when there were ~90 million members worldwide, this increased to ~94 million in 2018 and with some of the best retention rates being in Taiwan it’s possibly more now.

3 Likes

This makes perfect sense, as Taiwanese supermarket chains, with their high prices and terrible selection, don’t provide much in the way of competition.

Thanks for the AmChamComm article, I hadn’t read that.

I like this bit-

As a result, Costco will sometimes adjust a Western product to make it more acceptable to Taiwanese preferences. An example is Caesar salad dressing. “True Caesar salad has a high acidity level with freshly squeezed lemon, and the anchovies give it a bit of a fish taste,” says Silveira. “It doesn’t go over well here. We’ve had to modify our Caesar dressing to tone down the acidity level and sweeten it up a tad. An American wouldn’t even recognize it – it’s more like Caesar meets Ranch – but it’s very well accepted here.”

This American just throws it out because to this American it tastes terrible, horrible, blecch. Sweet does not go with Caesar’s salad dressing, not in this universe. I prefer oil and balsamic vinegar.

However, based on a story I heard I might have to start washin’ 'em up and come back to take my chances in the returns line … :thinking:

Tossing this out there to see if anybody might be interested

IMG20190507151000

2 Likes

Hellz yeah!

2 Likes

Taiwanese Clam Chowder? Is this something invented by Costco?

damn a good meat pie would be awesome

1 Like

More like Peking duck pizza.

As long as they do not remove the hoy dogs from the menu, we are good. Give desperate people one last option.

It is comforting to visit a strange place and find something similar. However, Japanese sundae was superb.

Hsinchu Costco also occasionally offers a Hakka pork pizza. It’s the same nt300/60 price as the other options. I don’t recommend it. “Hakka savory” means the seasoned pork they use is just too mild to work on a dish like pizza that sits atop an ocean of bread. Hakka pork pizza is a little boring.

I’m also not a fan of the clam chowder, which is too thin. It’s a thickish soup, but not chunky enough to be a real chowder. At least they don’t add sugar; it’s not sweet at all.

A few people have told me that when Costco initially opened a good number of people tried to abuse the return policy but were banned. Apparently word (or rumor) got out and it isn’t that much of a problem now.

RE: number of memberships. A friend who has products in Costco told me that before the initial store opened in Tainan, they figured sold enough memberships before they opened to reach something like ~60-70% of people in the city (because they figure the average card holder uses it for every person in their family tree).

I went over to Costco here in Hsinchu just as they closed tonight, hoping to pick up a couple more bottles of this (I bought six earlier this week). They were completely stocked out, and I’m not surprised. The sale ended at closing time tonight.

46.3% ABV, single malt, on sale for NT$679 per 70cl since 3-May. Usually sells for NT$849, and it’s a steal at that price. A very nice drop. Sells for US$69.99 (NT$2,165 at this evening’s spot rate) in my old neighborhood’s liquor store. No doubt some small shop owner(s) came in and wiped out the stock.

Anybody else pick up a few of these?

2 Likes

I saw that at the Guandu Costco and I wish I had bought a bottle. Is it good? I like the smoky peat ones like an Ardbeg. I also saw this one there: hp

It’s quite pleasant. Full bodied (compared to something like a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich) with some smoke, though nothing close to an Ardbeg.

2 Likes

I like the smoky ones, too, especially Ardbeg. Another I like is Laphroaig. It’s some kind of magic the way the smoke gives way to fruit and barley. Maybe just a bit sweeter than the Ardbeg.

I like the Highland Park 12 a lot, too. A classic.

1 Like

I’ll have to try Laphroaig. I’ve joined a whiskey club here in Taipei and we try different ones every month. I just bought a bottle of Port Charlotte 10 and will have to test it out soon.