Costco Thread 2020

Sorry, Tainan has that too. I believe there are even still a few six packs of this:

You know, for the kids…

1 Like

I rate the Costcos by what interesting foods I’ve managed to buy from them. I got pumpkin pie in South Kaohsiung, egg nog in North Kaohsiung, and Koign-Amann in Taichung, which makes them all equal (scored at one apiece).

The race is on!

1 Like

Three different branches? All of those were available in Tainan. Home of the refined South. Not that trainwreck, Kaohsiung…

I-SAID-GOOD-DAY-SIR-meme-34706

1 Like

Then you have my vote!

1 Like

I dislike all Costco, fine buying bucketloads of shite you won’t eat then get after the tills hundreds gorging on shite junk food, don’t use the trash bins correctly and kilometre after kilometre of tin foil used for the junk they serve, ecological hole.

1 Like

You doing okay there, buddy???

6 Likes

Does anybody still have Kirkland brand praline pecans at their Costco’s? The KHH ones haven’t had them in months.

With the new law against plastic utensils, will Costco’s food courts be affected?

Hey guys, anyone have any of those Jose’s Vanilla Nut Coffee Beans kicking around that they’d like to sell to me? Seems Costco island-wide has no stock. Let me know, thanks. I’m in Taipei.

The other day in Costco I was just about to order when a woman who looked to be in her 50s demanded a new slice of pizza because one piece of pepperoni on it was slightly burned. She got one, no questions asked. I was tempted to take it off, eat it, and tell her you’re welcome, but, alas, I’m a nice guy.

2 Likes

I tried the new chicken pot pie on Monday, which is selling for nt$159 for now.

It’s not terrible, but you should not expect a western chicken pot pie.

The crust is slightly sweet, so obviously it’s not even trying for that. The interior has edamame not peas, shredded parmesan cheese, and I’m pretty sure the chicken is from a can (I think all ingredients Iikely come from shelf stock). Mine was a little dry, too.

It’s a head scratcher, for sure.

I never got that. Why would they make savory pies with sweet crusts.

1 Like

I don’t get it either. Same thing with the Caesar dressing that comes with the deli salad, slightly sweet. Both are right on the verge of a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

Costco is really good in this way.

One time I got a slice there and there was almost no topping (essentially expanded crust in half the slice). I asked for a new one and they gave me a new one, no questions asked.

If you order the deluxe pizza they have to ask you if you are ok with eating beef… does some Taiwanese not like beef?

Some of the older generation don’t eat beef because cows (well, water buffalo really) are considered working farm animals and not to be eaten.

3 Likes

Every farm animal is eaten at the end of their useful life. Even milk (dairy) cows. I think not eating beef is more a religious thing in Taiwan.

There may be a religious element, but it’s more part of the folk culture.

3 Likes

Folklore!

Does Costco have any interesting seasonal food items coming up? Like how they had pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving, anything interesting usually come around for late winter?