Costco Thread 2020

why do you think it’s terrible? i guess when you live in a us town with x other pizza places, it might be lower on your go-to list. but compared to the choices you have in taiwan, it’s quite a good deal.

1 Like

The combo pizza is pretty good. It’s a long, long way from “terrible” in my book. The Hawaiian is unremarkable, but not terrible. Same with the seafood, same with the salt/Hakka pork imo.

You want terrible go eat a Great Value frozen pizza from Walmart, you choose the flavor. I think you’ll find some terrible.

2 Likes

Depends on standards, I suppose: to me, terrible = not edible, and Costco pizza is definitely edible. Costco has perhaps the 2nd best “pizza by the slice” that I’ve had in Taiwan - but that’s a sample size of, oh, three? Maybe four?

I can’t immediately think of another 60NT lunch that I’d prefer.

There must be articles out there about how and why some foods get picked up in the night markets here, and others don’t. How on earth did Middle Eastern schwarma / shwarma become a thing in night markets, whereas pizza didn’t?

You can buy the spicy pepperoni packs inside to add to the pizzas when reheating leftovers.

I’d rather eat Costco pizza than the US chain stores in Taiwan.

The hot dog and soft drink for 50nt is way better. And a decent hot dog is almost unheard of in Taiwan. I would never choose the crappy pizza over every single other food item at Costco that is better. And top it all off (ha, ha! but while we’re at it what is it with the toppings in their seafood pizza?), there is some decent pizza to be had on this island. Forget that Costco pizza crap.

2 Likes

And

are quite different.

Terrible as in quality and flavor.
Deal as in it saves you a buck.

I think most if not all Costco food court offerings are borderline blech.
It all tastes the same.

But if you want to save a buck, knock yourself out.

You’re right that decent hot dogs are hard to find here, but I avoid buying soft drinks, so I’ve never tried that. Ditto their chicken burger. I’ve had those … beef bakes? Is that what they’re called? I absolutely prefer the pizza to those.

There’s decent pizza in Taiwan, yes, but pizza by the slice is a lot harder to find.

Maybe I enjoy Costco pizza because I live in Danshui. If I’m going from Danshui to the Beitou Costco, then that pizza is my favorite option for a cheap meal en route. That says a little on the quality of Costco pizza, but says more on how I feel about the cheap and fast food in the Danshui area!

2 Likes

i guess the food must be served fast and the stall has to be easily movable. making a good pizza in one of those small home appliance ovens is just not possible.

those shwarmas in taiwan are the worst rendition of an ethnic food i’ve seen so far. everything is so wrong with it, sweet bread, (dry) chicken breast roasted for hours, mayo and ketchup, sliced cheese…i’ve had gyros or kebabs in canada,the us, europe, hk, malaysia and it tasted always similar, though quality differentiated a lot. but taiwanese nightmarkets really succeeded in f*&^&^ it up

I just assume to the one in Zhonghe. Same schedule.
I guess it would be island-wise then.

Logical, and that’s probably the reason. The different pepper bun places require a similar oven set up - but they’re usually not in movable stalls.

There was one woman, from the North African area I think, who sold shawarma first in a shop near Maji Square, and then in Maji Square itself: much better quality than the typical night market fare, but prices to (understandably) match. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for her: the prices were too high for the local market. She remarked that the cheap night market versions scared her, because to make a profit at that price, the ingredients must be, um, interesting.

i know they’re different.

i think flavorwise costco pizza is quite ok. quality is hard to measure, but no expects organic, free range products for 60ntd.

i don’t know how you measure quality in foods but as far as flavor goes, costco certainly can compete in taiwan’s pizza market.

we’re not talking about healthy food here, when it comes to pizza, imo it’s all about comfort food.

Bulgogi Bake is where it’s at.

Apart from that surprising and magnificent exception, what the do you expect from a cafeteria at a bulk food warehouse?

1 Like

real shwarma and what’s sold here are two completely different things. she probably used imported lamb meat, imported spices, maybe made homemade bread. nightmarkets stall use the cheapest chicken breast, mayo (in taiwan aka salad sauce), ketchup, 7-11 sweet bread rolls. i understand her totally.

I wish I could remember more of a conversation with her about her supplies … I’m pretty sure she talked about difficulties finding good lamb. And the inevitable and understandable frustration with people complaining that her prices were too high. It must take such restraint to not just say “The prices are higher because the usual cheap stuff you eat is garbage!!!”

1 Like

Savage! :slight_smile: I fully agree

1 Like

Excuse the vehemence. But pizza and hot dogs get me all riled up.

1 Like

They have different type of Great Value pizza. The 5 dollar a box offered inside the heated cabinet is terrible beyond measure. However they have another Great Value pizza that is offered in the raw, and the guy behind the counter will bake it for you (takes about 15 minutes). Those are great. It’s more expensive at over 10 dollars a box.

1 Like

I love Costco hot dogs. The problem with that combo is that you need 5 hot dogs, but one drink (with refills) is plenty. I always struggle to find enough homeless people to give the other 4 cups to.

2 Likes

Sorry, are you saying that you eat 5 Costco hot dog in one go?

My colon just spasmed in sympathy.

I salute you.