Costco Thread 2021

Anyone seen Swiffer mop refill pads at Costco lately?
I’m almost out, but their website isn’t showing any Swiffer products.

Wife or dog?

Wife here…

1 Like

1 Like

Does anyone like the Kirkland Tuna?

I tried a can and I didn’t like it. The meat seems really tough and dry, tougher than how tuna is supposed to be like, at least compared to other cans on the market. That and the can requires a can opener, not an easy open can, makes me not want it… is it substantially cheaper than other cans on the market as I can find them for as low as 100 per pack of 3 (for 180g cans) in the right places…

I think it’s ok, and it seems a bit cheaper than the tuna I used to buy in Wellcome (approaching NT$100 per can IIRC, and often out of stock for long periods). I also prefer it to the lower quality tuna like tuna flakes that you often find here, and prefer tuna in fresh water rather than brine or especially oil (:nauseated_face:) etc.

I have no problem with using a tin opener occasionally (I prefer not to eat tuna that often anyway, especially albacore tuna like in Costco, because of the mercury thing). Maybe you could open it on your laser cutter or lathe, if that’s an issue?

Where are you getting 100 per can tuna?

Most I have seen is about 55 per can if you buy one at a time. Most the time it’s about 120-150 per 3, but sometimes if you are lucky, in certain stores you can find it for around 109 per 3.

But the Kirkland tuna just tasted dry. I have no idea why. The other tuna cans don’t taste nearly as dry. I don’t eat tuna often either, I can’t afford to. But someone gave me a can of Kirkland Albacore tuna…

In the old Wellcome near me, like I said - it was something like NT$89 or NT$99 (IIRC) for tuna steak (or whatever they call the “best” one).

Tuna chunks and flakes were probably cheaper, but I wasn’t buying those. It’s been several years though and there was a long period where it was seldom in stock, which is around the time I got a Costco membership and didn’t need to look for it there anymore.

Maybe the dryness is about the species/variety, or if you’re used to buying the ones in oil or mayo or whatever (I always avoid those because find them pretty rank).

I don’t buy tuna in oil, always in water. But they are usually flakes. However the Albacore tuna is much more whole… so needed to be broken up to eat it.

The tuna tastes like chicken and the canned chicken tastes like tuna.

Tuna everywhere has the same diet, so mercury should be all the same.

No, incorrect. Albacore tuna are bigger so contain more mercury - you can look it up.

Unless you catch the younger smaller ones. All large predator fish have mercury problems, and other contamination, microplastics.

Again, you can look it up.

eat’n your yoga pants! YUM!

From what i understand, It’s because culturally, cows used to be considered almost sacred

Almost sacred? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Actually, here it’s because a lot of farmers use an ox for farm work. That makes the 牛 (niu) their tractor or maybe even pet? The students I’ve had that don’t eat beef don’t eat beef because that would be like eating any of your farm tools.

I’ve definitely seen oxen wag their tail like a dog when their owner comes to get them after they’ve been grazing in the field. I can see how you’d have a family aversion to eating all animals with 牛 in that case. They’re helping you and your family! (Please no one bring up other cultures eating other animals here)

There’s also a family name that doesn’t eat beef, I’m not sure which one. It must have 牛 in it. Or maybe some people surnamed 楊 (yang) don’t eat 羊肉 (yangrou = sheep meat)? It wouldn’t be all of them though. Anyway, someone explained to me that they don’t eat some meat because of their surname, because that would basically be cannibalism. So there’s that.
Sacred cows are in India, not Taiwan

1 Like

Pumpkin pies were in store today.

Not a fan, but at $199 for a nearly foot-wide slab of sweet mushy nostaligia, I figured, meh, why not?

Pumpkin pie. :slight_smile: :pie: Did you see any turkeys in the freezer section yet?

1 Like

I saw frozen turkey at the zhonghe costo yesterday