Costco Thread 2021

Oh, sorry that was me!

2 Likes

Nice find on the ham! Didn’t notice that.

1 Like

It must be new. It isn’t too salty and similar to what I’d by for sandwiches in the US. I was buying an Australian ham off the bone which was even better. Not to be found.

They mostly use what has to go due to shelflife expiring.

Anyone seen Jack Links Beef Jerky lately? The Neihu store told me they are either out of stock or stopped carrying it in all Taipei stores, but since there was a language barrier I can’t be certain. I have found it at both the Xinzhuang and Zhonghe locations before.

Really craving some American style beef jerky :weary:

Buy it online? https://www.costco.com.tw/Jack-Links/c/Jack_Links

1 Like

It was recently reduced in price - which often means end of line for a product.

It tastes significantly different to local jerky (which is sweet and fatty); this might mean locals weren’t buying it.

1 Like

Yea I was in for a shock when I had beef jerky in the states… jerky in the states are much harder, like chewing leather.

Jerky here seems to be cooked meat, not dried from raw meat like American jerky. The texture is completely different. Much softer too.

1 Like

because there is one brand of jerky in the US…

As for jerky here, there’s a lot of it. We have an all too squishy squid jerky that I’m just waiting to sneak into the pig feed . that said, a friend of ours gave us a few pouches of a fantastic jerky from Chiayi. Lean, different flavors. It is out there.

In other news, went to the Beitou costco yesterday, probably the fullest I’ve ever seen it.

2 Likes

People stockpiling again I guess…?

2 Likes

kinda sorta. I saw a lot of mostly empty carts at checkout. Which to me suggests they are all covid+, and just feel the urge to get out there and mingle. joking, of course.

I’ll check in if I get pinged for proximity in the next 5 or so days.

2 Likes

I bought 3 bags just last week. They were on the 2nd floor at Neihu, across from the bottled juices on the far wall/end. There was plenty of stock at the time.

I’m quite happy they have the original flavor now instead of the peppered one (heartburn here).

1 Like

Regarding stock of various items, sometimes at Neihu they shift things around for god knows what reason. The Kirkland vodka was on the 2F not far from the vitamins (made me chuckle) a while back. The Jack Links jerky is usually on the 1F near the cashiers in that area with the nuts and related items, but had been placed on the 2F as I mentioned in my post above. So sometimes you have to amble around a bit to find something, or of course ask for help if you’re able to.

3 Likes

In all the years that Costco has been in Taiwan I came to the conclusion that you can not rely on them to get items constantly, which makes it difficult for eateries.

2 Likes

Yeah they like setting up a couple of random stuff aisles, usually with chocolate, some booze, some food items. It can get confusing.

Maybe we’ll see turkeys soon?

2 Likes

By the way I am sure it’s been asked before, but I forgot the answer.

When you order combo pizza at Costco they have a policy of informing you that it contains beef and whether or not you are ok with this.

Why do they have that policy?

A lot of places do that. Mos burger does, anyway

In Taiwan? Some people have a tradition-based aversion to eating beef.

2 Likes

But not giant chicken gonads…

4 Likes