Costco Thread 2021

Well you might want to borrow or get a meat slicer… or learn how to slice it with a sushi knife. Subway probably buys whole cooked breast and slices it themselves.

Try the Meat Store on line or the Tianmu Butchery on Zhongshan road.

Do you know if Costco requires a receipt for returns? It was paid for using a credit card and, if the Taiwan website is correct, it appears that your membership card and credit card are sufficient.

Yes, that’s enough. There is a record of your purchases in Costco Taiwan.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought - appear to remember they didn’t even glance at my receipt before - but wanted to clarify before I lug things back. Muy apreciado.

They want to ahead of the October lock down. :thinking:

It’s called being just too lazy to take them down.

1 Like

By the way any can any structural engineer tell me why is it that the walls of most Costco seems to have a hole spaced at regular intervals with about 1cm of rebar sticking out of it? Is it to do with the way it’s constructed? Some of the hole is slightly different shaped (a countersink rather than a tapered cylinder) but instead of rebar there is what appears to be a bolt with a nut sunk into it.

Like that?

These are left over from concrete ties which are used to hold the formwork together ready for pouring concrete. They are usually called tie holes.

After the concrete is cured and forms need to be removed their ends protruding out are bent and snapped.

6JBRN

Source

2 Likes

I don’t see these holes in normal apartment or commercial buildings though… only see them at Costco. I’m assuming these are for larger pours where the mold could possibly expand outward?

or for places they don’t bother with covering it in plaster and paint

2 Likes

I have seen it in some hotel houses in Taiwan. In most cases they are covered up for aesthetics.

Here is such a house in construction

2 Likes

Those hole looks perfect for those giant spiders to hide in so they can surprise you when you least expect it…

3 Likes

They seem to be trending in a lot of “industrial chic” buildings in the past decade or so. If you don’t like the look, you could always cover it up. To each their own and all that

That must have been a contentious meeting – Costco corporate wanting to use more concrete, Taiwanese architects wanting to use more concrete…

3 Likes

Anyone know if the wine selection varies considerably between stores? I’m only able to find one of my favorites at the two I go to. The US stores usually have most of them, at least until they get bought up.

My impression is it only varies here depending on which stores run out of stock sooner. Can’t remember any items being offered exclusively at one location unless they ran out everywhere else.

1 Like

Those bastards have removed the avocado and the bacon from the chicken wraps again. I can see removing avocado but the bacon is what makes them taste good.

I did find western style ham yesterday and a Kirkland Islay.
No plain tortilla chips. Only City Super has tortilla chips now.

1 Like