Costco Thread 2022

All that’s made of wheat will follow!

Mostly that makes me sad because it was comforting to know they’re there. Once upon a time, I’d buy a tray, divvy them up, and freeze all but the one I was about to enjoy. But I enjoyed them as an occasional (every few months) treat. Costco has been something of a weird “comfort line” for me — I don’t need or even think to buy 99% of the stuff in the store, but it’s comforting to know that I could get cinnamon rolls if I “needed” them.

2 Likes

cinnamon rolls are now widely available in Taiwan. it seems to be the latest fad, like egg tarts used to be a few years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah but the quality varies too much. Costco is consistent.

1 Like

On the opening time issue: so supposedly 9am on weekends and holidays, despite the official hours? I’m not sure how much I’d count on this.

1 Like

Yeah they don’t get it at all. They’re dry and unappealing.

1 Like

I know there are some places that are supposedly excellent for cinnamon rolls. There’s a place near Zhongshan Jr. High that is take out only and supposed to be truly excellent. But Taiwanese desserts, especially their take on Western desserts, to my Western palate, are usually either insanely too sweet in the wrong way or lack the most basic ingredients (Starbucks cinnamon rolls not having any cinnamon, for example). Meanwhile, Costco baked goods are exactly what you expect to get from a basic bakery that sells basic American “staple” bakery things. You’re not going to be shouting to the world about how excellent they are, but you’re not going to be disappointed either. And I think all foreigners in Taiwan that have been here long enough are quite content to have middle of the road bakery items compared to a lot of the not great to horrible things we’ve all consumed at some point. At least there’s Pure Bread bakery for solid European quality bread!

3 Likes

Question about the coupon books that arrive in the mail every six weeks or whatever it is: Are these actually useful, or do they 100% match the promotions you’d find in store and are just for information? Do you need to take the coupon book if you want the reduced price?

I tend to skim through them whenever they arrive to see whether there’s anything immediately interesting for me (there never has been) then leave them on the living room table and forget about them until throwing them out several months later. I just binned two. I’m wondering if I can save myself the hassle/clutter and just put them straight in the recycling.

1 Like

from my past experience they match the regular in store promotions.

3 Likes

They are the same as in-store, and you don’t need to bring the booklet in. If you never shop online then you won’t need to look at them…but there are “online only offers”. On their website you can find the same coupon calendar.

Their usefulness is perhaps so you don’t buy something tomorrow that in 2 weeks may be on sale for things that are not immediately necessary. If you go to costco every 1-2 weeks religiously then certainly you can just trash them since you’ll never miss anything.

3 Likes

Same here. The sales only last a week, so they’re only useful to look at right before you go.

2 Likes

They’re just for reference, however they are useful if you have a black card as instore the black card discounts are not clearly marked (presumably to avoid arguments with non black card members trying to get the same discount).

2 Likes

AFAIK they aren’t “coupon books”, they’re just announcing what they’ll be discounting. Can’t remember if I ever saw a coupon in them that you had to turn in to get a discount.

1 Like

Yeah, I should probably have written “coupon book things” or used scare quotes - I wasn’t sure when I wrote it whether it was necessary to take the book in to get the discount and they’d invalidate it or something. (I realized that the leaflet pages are doubled sided with different offers on each side, so not really “coupons”.)

Hi everyone, sorry if this has already been answered before. I’d love to get a Costco membership but am in Taiwan until November only. Is a membership worth it if it’s only for less than a year?

Cheers

Depends how much you intend to use it I guess, and what you want to buy. You could always get a refund of the membership fee before leaving, if you want (albeit perhaps a bit unethically, if you know you’ll do that from the beginning).

2 Likes

i find Costco offers very good prices for:
dairy
meats
alcohol
breads

clothes : prices arent cheap, but they have my size usually

if you dont need these items then there isnt much advantage.

i find that for fruits and vegetables the price is the same as other paces.

if you are single, the savings are nice but not amazing, if you have a family then saving is more substantial.

3 Likes

You can use the card wherever you head off to next for the remainder of the year.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Do they refund you for just the amount of unused months left in the year or the full membership fee?

Do they accept TW Costco memberships in other countries for example Australia or NZ?