Costco Thread 2022

Yes, I believe the fat content is higher, which makes it have a creamier flavor. Also grass-fed milk really does taste quite different than “normal” milk, and the butter has a similar difference. The difference probably isn’t worth it for your average cake or cookie, but for spreading on baguettes or for baked goods where the butter flavor stands out, it’s really nice.

Also, I’ve been looking for that grass-fed butter—which Costco have you seen it at? Is it next to the normal butter?

1 Like

Xizhi branch, but just started selling it a few weeks ago, so I imagine it’s available everywhere.
Next to the regular butter.

2 Likes

I actually don’t like the creamier, more expensive, butter. When it tastes too buttery, it makes me feel sick.

The butter is too buttery.

Hmm looked again at the Zhonghe location and couldn’t find it. If anyone sees it there please let me know where it is!

Zhonghe didnt have the blue box Kirkland salted butter when I went last week. They only had the green box grass fed butter from New Zealand. They were keeping it in the end of aisle fridge…a ton of it. When I asked about the regular butter, the clerk stocking it told me he thinks they are replacing the blue kirkland one with the grass fed one and wont be carrying the blue box one anymore. TTWAGOS…MOMNBT.

Ah, I always skip that part :man_facepalming:t2:

What’s the rules for shipping things to your home? I guess they’ll only do dry goods, right? Is there a minimum or a maximum to do it without cost?

1 Like

I’m not sure if they do “in store” ordering that can ship to your home, but the price you see on their website includes the shipping price. Most items online have a slightly higher price than they do in store but I have seen a few items that are the same price. You do need a Costco credit card to order online.

Some items have a minimum order qty so they make you buy 2 or 3 at a time.

Some items are shipped directly from the manufacturer or distributor and not by Costco, so if you buy 8 random items in a single order, you probably will get 2 (or more) shipments from different locations.

They have a variety of frozen/chilled items online, many with a ‘min. order qty’ and they will be shipped in a refrigerated truck and arrive frozen, however they are in normal (non-insulated) boxes so you really have to be home that day to receive it. I’ve bought a few frozen items when I knew I would be working from home and all arrived frozen.

3 Likes

Like the milk. Seems they are doing New Zealand milk instead of Kirkland milk now…

1 Like

I think they just run out sometimes? The Kirkland one seems to go in and out of stock, but I’ve bought it as recently as a week ago.

1 Like

They have it but it’s sporadic now. Before I would show up at 6pm and get it easily. Now I go before noon and there isn’t any left, but some people have it in their carts.

1 Like

They do, at least some locations. Not ordering exactly. You just buy it and they deliver it, several large stores do the same. Someone here when the lockdowns began posted a picture an enormous quantity of food and supplies he was having shipped to his house. I didn’t think to ask at the time about home delivery.
I’d love to buy online, but they won’t give me a credit card.

1 Like

Why not? You need only prove three months income. I didn’t have a guarantor, it was only me.

Beats me. My work invoice is just a printed paper that I could make up myself. Assuming they call my company to verify, they probably aren’t finding my name in their database. Or can’t be asked to look. The second time I learned that there’s a window when you can call and ask the bank, but I forgot to do it.

I’ve seen it everywhere now. It’s twice as small but about half the price, so the value is similar.

Hopefully it really does taste better off they are replacing the Kirkland one as @SuiGeneris mentioned.

The grass fed butter has a stronger buttery taste…almost like movie popcorn butter taste. The color is also different…it is a darker yellow, almost artificial looking. It lacks the measured portions markings on the wrapper too. I prefer the blue box brand.

When I applied 2 years ago they didn’t ask for my payslips they only asked for an ATM printout of my account balance. I just figured they wanted my account info so they could call the bank and verify my income.

They will call to speak to your supervisor and then they will ask to speak to you. I think when they called my work they first called my cellphone and asked who to speak to or the extension and then proceeded to call right after I hung up.

They asked me for both. I have a decent salary, but it doesn’t stay around long so my bank account isn’t too impressive.

That never happened. Maybe they rejected it out of hand.

My wife came home with three packs of Havarti ($95/ea) and two packs of Sonoma mixed cheese ($145/ea) today. There’s been lots of good cheese deals lately.

A sad note…
The worker reported that cinnamon rolls are disappearing for good.