Costco Thread 2022

no cinnamon buns, but did see diced tomatoes (went on Saturday the 9th)

2 Likes

I asked at the Zhonghe Costco two weeks ago and they said, ā€œTheyā€™re not coming back.ā€ :cry:

1 Like

Yeah, somebody somewhere did say that, but I think there was another reply saying ā€œNo they havenā€™t!ā€

They have custard filled croissants now. Yum.

2 Likes

when i was there alst week it was red bean and mochiā€¦

1 Like

Saw these last week. Tempted, but didnā€™t think theyā€™d freeze well and didnā€™t want to feel obligated to eat them all while theyā€™re fresh. Were they good?

Noooooooooooooooo!!! If Costco goes the way of the local market like Carrefour, Cold Stone, and other ā€œlifelinesā€ of Westerners, I might actually take the US$75k/yr teaching gig I was offered and get out of here. I donā€™t ā€œneedā€ Western food to survive, but I have always appreciated that Costco remained genuinely ā€œAmericanā€ in the bakery section. Now thereā€™s no chocolate chip bagels, the bagels they do sell are always ā€œburntā€ but ā€œcooked correctlyā€ based on Taiwanese standards of ā€œburning baked goods is the only way to prepare themā€, cinnamon rolls are gone, and theyā€™re selling red bean and mochi. I have nothing against red bean or mochi, but itā€™s available EVERYWHERE in this country.

2 Likes

I feel itā€™s also important to stress that ā€œred bean ice creamā€ or ā€œmung bean ice creamā€ isnā€™t f###ing ice cream, in the same way that a ā€œradish cookieā€ isnā€™t a f###ing cookie. :roll_eyes:

the thing is, 2 weeks before that it was apple fillingā€¦ i was planning to buy apple and only founf red been mochi.

1 Like

Thatā€™s sort of been happening forever, hasnā€™t it? I remember reading those laments in Costco threads from ten or twelve years ago, before I was even a member.

I believe the cinnamon rolls only appeared recently anyway, so their loss doesnā€™t quite hit as hard as the loss of big blocks of cheddar and pepper jack did. Or the thick bacon that used to be there.

Iā€™m concerned that I havenā€™t seen a variety pack of Kirkland ā€œmicroā€ brews in a long while.

1 Like

Yeah maybe Iā€™m overreacting? Idk, Iā€™ve only been a member for ~2 years and ignored all the chatter before then. Iā€™ve only bought cinnamon rolls from there twice, froze most of them and ate them one at a time for Sunday breakfasts but only sometimesā€¦ When I walk into a large grocery chains in the US and dance through the aisles with excitement about all the things that i could buy and walk out with most of the same basic food that I could buy anywhere in Taiwan, yeah thatā€™s mostly how I am with Costco here. But the joy of knowing itā€™s there. I feel theres something primordial in nature about knowing that it was there and now maybe it wonā€™t. Not that I need cinnamon rolls to survive, though replacing them with red beans might send me to an early graveā€¦

2 Likes

Three were custard, three were like a taro/custard mix. The custard ones were better. In my house, no freezer is needed. I would buy them again.

1 Like

Pardon me if itā€™s been asked and replied to already, but if you purchase something from one Costco branch can you return it for a refund at another branch?

2 Likes

My wife says yes you can.

1 Like

Just tested it out. All systems go.

3 Likes

In the food shortages thread, some people have mentioned that Costco is running low on some products? How are they doing on ground beef? How about chicken (not ground)? Thatā€™s the #1 and 2 things I go for so itā€™s not worth the trip if I canā€™t get it. Iā€™ll have to plan to go super early in the morning.

Costco getting into the novelty/ironic T-shirt game. :laughing:

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d be able to tell with Costco. Their stock varies so much anyway. When is the stock running low, versus when is it just not available this month / quarter?

chicken no problem, ground beef runs out fast.

Bugger, planning to make a run later.