Costco Thread 2023

Welcome to the 2023 Costco Thread. Feel free to share findings here on your adventures.

I for one, just go in and buy relatively the same thing when I visit. However, am happy there’s one constant thing in life and it’s the Costco hot dog + soda combo. When it costs me more than 100NT for that combo, I’ll know the world is ending.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the CEO of costco decided to keep its price the same no matter what. I think hot dogs and stuff are considered loss leaders.

The hot dog deal is a loss leader for both companies, but it’s a draw. Costco’s CEO has vowed to never increase the price of the combo, saying it would remain at $1.50 “forever” on an earnings call in September.

The popular menu item has remained at only $1.50 since the 1980s.

https://archive.is/Rmr9S

1 Like

Yeap, hot dogs and rotisserie chicken, from what I recall.

2 Likes

Sams Club gets the same deal. Big salty dog and coke. Get your weekly sodium/ sugar fix in one sitting.

Just got a weird service call from Costco asking me to return a bottle of wine I had bought last week for a refund, not because there’s anything wrong with the wine, but allegedly because they used the wrong code on the product, or the wrong code when ringing it up, not sure I understood which. Neither reason made any sense to me. I asked repeatedly why I should return a bottle just because there’s something wrong with their code, and she couldn’t give me a reason that made any sense to me. I got the feeling that they weren’t supposed to have sold it for some reason, but she wouldn’t say why, or maybe I missed something in her explanation in Chinese.

Here’s the bottle in question. Definitely planning on drinking it now. Hope it doesn’t give me botulism or something.

5 Likes

That’s odd. Presumably they can’t force you to return it if you can’t be bothered? I wonder what would happen if you just took back the empty bottle. :whistle:

3 Likes

Was it sold at the wrong price? I’d tell them to come and collect it

2 Likes

Anyone here have the Executive Membership with 2% cashback?

It seems to be worth it. Given that the standard Gold Star annual fee is $1,350, and the Exec membership is $3,000.

With a 2% rebate, the $1,650 difference would be paid for after spending $82,500/year.

With the $30,000 rebate cap, you reach that after spending about NT$1.5M. May be reachable for a family of four.

1 Like

You have to be almost exclusively shopping at Costco for a family of 4 for it to be worth it. The shop needs to be close for your convenience. Or have a business to purchase a lot of stuff.

1 Like

I’ve just arrived in Taiwan, what are some must have items from Costco in your opinions?

I was shocked to find out how much smaller the rotisserie chickens are in Taiwan compared to the states. I would say they are at least 20% smaller if more. Guess they only mandate the price, but not the size.

1 Like

To be fair, the average Taiwanese is probably at least 20% smaller than the average American, so it probably all works out in the end.

13 Likes

Kirkland Scotch

2 Likes

Also, I’m a fairly large guy. Do they stock US size clothes or bigger than typical Taiwan?

No. A lot of stuff just goes to XL. Sometimes 2xl.

I feel you’ve done your research on the matter

1 Like

No, they only have the smaller US sizes. Nothing in 3XL or above.

1 Like

The rotisserie chickens at Costco in Taiwan also have their heads still intact… For that reason, I don’t buy them.

Also, the chicken bake and the bulgogi pork bake here are nasty. The chicken bake in the US is much better.

3 Likes