Costco Thread 2023

Never bothered me. Is there anything that concerns you about chicken heads?

Yeah I do. If your spend is enough you earn enough points so don’t need to pay the fee. Also get a nice cheque to spend in coscto. Fubon Coscto Business credit card gave me an NT$250 credit limit which I can decrease or increase online.

Other than it stares at me while I am eating making me uncomfortable? No.

1 Like

You spend a crazy amount at Costco. How do you hit those numbers without owning a restaurant?

Buying gold? A car?

was very sad not seeing.berries today. its one of the better value items there.

1 Like

My wife goes every week with a friend who owns an eatery in our village. Her friend doesn’t want to get a coscto membership or coscto card.

1 Like

Has anyone seen the Florida bakery tortillas in any Costco?

I really don’t like to buy so many but they are MIA from MiaC’bon and going all the way up Tatung area is not convenient for me.

Another food recall by Costco: Formaggio Fresh Mozzarella due to the detection of the carcinogenic substance ‘ethylene oxide.’

1 Like

it also has high levels of dihydrogen monoxide

1 Like

I’d been wondering about that - hadn’t seen the mozzarella for quite a while.

Isn’t that a Haagen Dasz flavor?

1 Like

Fresh Mozzarella or Ethylene Oxide?

4 Likes

At this rate Costco is going to be exclusively selling Taiwanese products within a couple of years. I want my hepatitis-laden berries and mutagenic mozzarella. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Which of course will be much more toxic than all the Costco stuff… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Quite a lot of bullshit in this article, on both Costco’s side and the Consumers’ Foundation side:

Costco Taiwan has said it will reimburse the medical expenses of anyone sickened by an imported cheese it sold containing a potentially cancer-causing compound – on the condition that a doctor confirms their illness was directly caused by their consumption of the product.

The compensation offer came two days after Taiwan health authorities confirmed they had ordered the American wholesaler to recall over 750 kilograms of Formaggio brand marinated mozzarella cheese found to contain ethylene oxide, a chemical compound associated with lymphoma and leukemia.

Moreover, if any customers become sick after consuming the cheese and receive confirmation from a doctor that their symptoms were caused by the product, Costco will fully cover their related medical expenses, it said.

I’d love to hear how a doctor is going to determine that somebody’s leukemia/lymphoma was directly caused by the pack of mozzarella they bought from Costco years prior…

In all three of these instances, [Taiwan’s Consumers’ Foundation] said, Costco had refunded customers only the price of purchase and declined to pay any type of additional compensation.

This is false. We got back two times the purchase price, so a refund plus the same amount of compensation. I’m not sure how much compensation this foundation really expects Costco to provide for not giving anyone hepatitis A, or how much they normally say that Taiwanese companies involved in food safety problems should give.

Meanwhile, the company’s requirement that customers present their receipt and membership card in order to receive a refund demonstrates “a complete lack of the kind of regret and responsibility that should be shown after such a [lapse],” it said.

What a load of rubbish. Costco doesn’t (and didn’t) require people to bring in their receipts to claim the refund and compensation, because they can access the purchase records from people’s membership cards anyway and contacted the affected customers themselves.

Of course some kind of proof of purchase was needed though, as with any product recall/return. Can you imagine how many people would try to claim compensation if Costco just took everyone’s word for it, member or not and whether they’d purchased the berries or not? These are the same people who queue up for ages for free samples and who used to steal onions from the food court before Costco took the opportunity during COVID to hide them behind the counter…

2 Likes

It would not be unreasonable to suggest there is a conspiracy out there to destroy Costco so that UniPresident is the sole controller of all food in Taiwan.

11 Likes

Went to Coscto in Chiayi on Monday. Pretty packed.

Lass as checkout is telling me I have to use all my built up credit points before the switchover.
I think I am up around 7K worth of credit spending.

Ethylene oxide was detected in two more products sold at Costco…

Question: have they checked the food products of, say, Carrefour? The foods that are tainted aren’t Kirkland. Also, are these same exact foods being found to have these problems in other countries? Or is it just magically only a problem in Taiwan? I find it very suspicious that only Costco has these issues. Not saying Costco doesn’t have these issues, but I am saying it seems really suspicious that only Costco is having these issues.

9 Likes

I’m just wondering if management at Costco maybe pissed off a government worker or politician and so now the government is giving them trouble? Because in Chinese culture this seems to be what happens if say they do not grease certain palms…

Or someone’s trying to run Costco out of town, or at least buy them out in Taiwan so they can provide much less service at a higher price?

I don’t really like Carrefour very much to be honest with you. Place is looking sadder and sadder.