Costco Thread 2023

Oh ok yes! this is much better than what I am getting from carrefour!

2 Likes

Fruit just seems expensive in general here…

4 Likes

The wet markets are usually the best bet.

Right on, I think i’ll go check them out tomorrow afternoon and might need to start freezing my own fruit!

1 Like

You can search on the Costco website and just subtract say 10-15% (not sure exactly) for the in-store price.

https://www.costco.com.tw/search?text=blueberries

1 Like

Oh right, thank you

It looks like some Taiwanese is not happy with the Costco credit card policy, seems only Taiwan has this rule. It’s BS though because I like to use my card there and not have to carry cash all the time.

1 Like

I’ve had that same issue too. Fruit stands and wet markets are still expensive. You’re better off walking into stores that aren’t big names. Just keep walking into stores til you find cheaper prices. It might be ramen is cheap is one store but fruit is cheap in the next. It’s annoying but Taiwan life.

3 Likes

but this is par for the course for TW. you cant use your bank for salary, have to use the employer’s bank so they can save 15nt on transfers, you cant use any card in convenience stores, just the one they work with…
suprising they make a fuss abt Costco.

3 Likes

Especially because in the US Costcos, you can’t just use any card either — it’s Visa only or something, it’s funny that Taiwanese people are crying foul about Costco TW’s limitations. You’re talking about a members-only shop also. You pay to shop there. You want to swipe any card, go shop somewhere else, like all the other grocery stores in TW that only let you pay with cash or their shop cards :joy:

Visa covers about something like 90% of all credit cards out there. It’s hardly a limitation. If they only accepted say American Express (which is far less common) then there might be a point… But even if they only accepted American Express they are still only accepting a fairly common (just less common than Visa) card that isn’t issued by any one particular bank.

well, for costco it’s an incredibly smart move to accept only one type of card from a banking partner.

They get paid upfront by the partner for the privilege of issuing their cobranded card (Costco basically gives them the possibility to get part of the Costco members portfolio), they get for sure a discount on the acquiring fees at the POSs and maybe even a share of the interchange. So it’s a massive winwin, also for the issuer, since it becomes also Costco acquirer. So yeah they are potentially losing on the acquirer fee, paying up to issue the card, but in return they are getting massive guaranteed volumes and customer volume. Then, if the cardholder pays outside of Costco, they get the full interchange. Without even considering the potential annual fees for the cards.

1 Like

Well, they are making it a “nationalist” issue against a “foreign” company. See the way they phrase it:

“Why is Taiwan the only country where people cannot use any credit card?”

3 Likes

yes, easier than blaming 711 that only accept cathay and not other cards. sad that this rhetoric is creeping into Taiwan.

It is important to recognize this as staged by the same sources that give us the LINE groups disinformation. It has a political angle, not just a commercial one.

Firsts of all, it is not accurate. Japan, Korea, all have Costco with more or less some rules regarding cards. Second, it has always been like this, why now?

And third and most importantly, the way it is worded. It is easy to recognize the victim card so prevalent in China’s discourse.

4 Likes

I read there’s been some stink around the xinjhuan costco. Anyone smelled anything?

I know the mcdonald close to FJU just smells… terrible. No idea where the smell is from. It really makes you not want to eat around there.

Has anyone here bought and is currently using Costco’s ceiling fan/lamp combo. I have been considering changing my lovely Spanish crystal lamps for one of those for the alleged benefits in air circulation, not to mention easier to clean. Bit pricey though, about 6k.

https://www.costco.com.tw/Appliances/Air-Quality-Heating-Cooling/Fans-Circulators/DELTA-56-inch-DC-Motor-Remote-Controlled-Ceiling-Fan/p/139554

There are other places to get ceiling fans. Doesn’t have to be Costco. Costco stuff is expensive.

Was Costco in the news yesterday about returns that been resold and did not contain what’s supposed to be in it?

There’s nothing not to like about the frozen scallion pancakes.

1 Like