Costco Thread 2023

What did you have to do to get the refund? Just show up with your receipt? Are the blueberries the kirkland 2.27kg bags?

You don’t even need the receipt (like usual at Costco - they can access all this info from your card).

Yeah, it’s the big bags. 2.27 kg sounds about right. Not the smaller bags of wild blueberries. They had a dedicated customer service lane at the Zhonghe branch, and these are the item numbers/names:

The guy just went through and checked which affected products I’d bought and the printer kept spitting out pieces of paper for me to sign. Hepatitis or not, it was a nice surprise!

I still have most of a bag in the freezer. I think I’ll wash these ones first though. :whistle:

3 Likes

Hopefully not. :grimacing:

Guy

1 Like

It is kind of bullshit that they are only refunding certain batches. They must have had this problem for a while but the batches weren’t tested.

I’ve got half a bag in the freezer now, but no chance anyone wants to eat that.

Edit: forget what I said. Mine is the batch that is being recalled. No call from Costco.

1 Like

2 Likes

Who knows. I guess they can only recall/refund the batches they’ve identified a problem with, and if nobody’s reported a problem with them in Taiwan…

At least they’re doing something. I’m not sure I’d expect the same from PX Mart or Carrefour, say.

I’d just eat it, personally (like I’ll be doing with mine). Nothing happened when you ate the first half of the bag, right?

How do you know the batch numbers being recalled?

I haven’t got called yet either. But like what @Andrew said, Everything we have purchased and when is under our Costco account, so they should be able to pull it up. Maybe worth a trip down there just to tell them to check your account.

1 Like

Wait!! Isn’t it on the photo you just posted?

Or is that the product number?

Yeah, I think that’s the product number used on the item labels in the stores…

1 Like

it is mostly my wife that eats them and I only ate one bowl from this bag. But, I did have a very strange illness about two months ago. High fever for a week. Tested for flu and covid but negative for both.

But either way, once you have seen in the kitchen at the local noodle shop, there is no going back.

I’m always complaining about her buying them because they take up so much room in the freezer and she takes so long to eat them. So there is a positive to this story. No more berries in the freezer. Chicken nugget time.

3 Likes

After being instructed by the Food and Drug Administration to review the scale of the impact, severity, and related circumstances of the violation, the fine on Costco Taiwan was raised to NT$7.5 million in accordance with Article 15 and Artcle 44 of the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法). It said products that fail to meet safety standards will be confiscated and destroyed.

1 Like

Doesn’t this fine seem unusually high for Taiwan? Especially considering that they’ve been pretty good about trying to fix it and there are no confirmed cases of people getting sick (AFAIK).

5 Likes

yes. usually fines after food poisoning in a hotel or restaurant are like 30K.

2 Likes

Probably stop selling them going forward

thats a shame, one of the few products i keep Costco membership for.

3 Likes

I’ve got half a bag to sell. :wink:

4 Likes

I am good, thanks. Finished my tainted 3 berry mix in March, bought 2 new packs since.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too. It would be several times more expensive for me to use fresh blueberries in smoothies, even buying them from Costco. Hope they don’t stop selling them!

1 Like

Kinda doubt they will discontinue them if they are a money maker. Things disappear from Costco shelves for months at a time and then magically reappear. They might take them out of circulation for a while until people forget and then reintroduce them with a new picture on the bag.

It notified Costco members who purchased frozen blueberries with expiration dates of Feb. 24, 2024 and Feb. 25, 2024 to stop consuming the product and return it to the nearest Costco store.

According to this article: