COVID-19 Booster Shots in Taiwan

It’s New Year’s Eve, Guy. Shouldn’t you be out partying rather than reading about vaccines? Or are you saving the party for after midnight? :upside_down_face:

Hey it’s just afterspivak being afterspivak. The more relevant question would be what you are doing here posting in this thread on new year’s eve! Why aren’t you off in Chiang Mai or somewhere like that having fun? :rofl:

Guy

Oh, I am. I’m just celebrating like an uninterested millennial and playing with my phone a lot. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The updated Novavax vaccine will be available in Taiwan starting on Tuesday January 9. Up until now, the only updated shot available in Taiwan was from Moderna.

In addition:

“The CDC strongly urges adults including young people and the elderly to be immunized with XBB vaccines [either from Moderna or from Novavax] at the earliest opportunity,” [Philip] Lo said. “This will significantly reduce risks to personal health and medical costs during the winter epidemic season.”

The COVID-19 pandemic is expected to flare up next week due to an impending cold front, New Year and election-related gatherings, the CDC said in a news release, adding that cases of severe symptoms and complications have surged recently.

Hospital visits might reach as high as 18,000 to 20,000 people a day, it said.

Source: CDC urges people to get the latest COVID-19 jab - Taipei Times

Guy

2 Likes

Adults includes young people and the elderly.

Found I’m still trying to find a list of locations that have online reservation systems so I can find the nearest.

Checked a couple nearby hospital online reservation systems but can’t seem to locate a vaccination registration.

“Adults who have received older COVID-19 vaccines have the same rate of hospitalization as the unvaccinated”

“new research shows the older versions offer “almost zero” protection against severe symptoms of the Omicron XBB variants.”

LOL

Anyone remember the good ol’ days when that was just a ‘conspiracy theory’?

6 Likes

A PSA: The updated Novavax vaccine is available for people 12 years old and up and is now being administered in Taiwan.

Guy

1 Like

50 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

I’m looking to get Novovax XBB booster in Taiwan. Got a co-worker who’s really lax about masks and all COVID protocols who just got COVID for the third time after a skiing trip to Korea.

2 Likes

So … is there a thread out there that can JUST be about information for practicalities about getting vaccines? Is that this one, or one of the many that I’ve muted?

What I’m currently trying to figure out: I got the Moderna Spikevax Bivalent in July 2023. I guess this means the government is recommending I get this new one, since that doesn’t seem to be the same as the Spikevax XBB, but I’m still a little unclear on that.

From the Taipei Times article already linked above:

The study said that adults who received older types of COVID-19 vaccines had the same hospitalization and severe symptom rates as the unvaccinated six to nine months after being vaccinated, Lo said.

Meanwhile, recipients of jabs modified for Omicron XBB variants reported 63 percent and 58 percent lower rates of hospitalization and emergency department or urgent care contacts respectively, he said.

2 Likes

Here’s a few shots from the new Novavax ad. It’s amazing they’re still going with the emergency use authorization in 2024.

1 Like

Good suggestion, feel free to post there if you have questions about getting the vaccine or don’t want to see discussion about updates, etc. I’ll update the title.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2024

Checked the website for a nearby clinic, walked in, waited about 5 minutes, saw doctor he did a basic interview, nurse jab Moderna XBB.1.5, paid $200, out the door.

Are they no longer keeping people for fifteen minutes afterwards?

They said 3 minutes. And I repeat it twice to make sure I understood yes 3 minutes.

Which was done by the time I paid.

I wonder who comes up with these numbers?

2 Likes

I hope you’re not questioning The Science, BD. There are laws about that you know.

3 Likes

The safe time has gone from 15 minutes to 3. What’s the safe time period going to be with the next vaccine? 15 seconds?

1 Like