COVID-19, Vitamin D, and Taiwan

Desperate countries…
And it probably works to a certain degree like most vaccine candidates.
Many antivirals have bad side effects so they aren’t worth it unless desperate .

It’s not like the vaccines don’t have side effects. AZ and Sinovac have really bad side effects - but they get brushed away… No-one so far runs a dashboard showing how many people died within 30 days after receiving their first or second shot…

AZ side effects will be tracked, serious effects should be much rarer than antivirals. Lots of data coming through from around the world I’m sure.

Sinovac…Who knows…Generally vaccines aren’t that harmful to people.

1 Like

Well AZ caused in quite a few German hospital sick leaves of like 1/4 to 1/3 of staff for several days, after the second dose. Such reports got so common that many people refused AZ…

I’ve heard of people feeling like they have a flu without coughing after AZ. I’m fine with that, given that it will help protect me from Covid.

SinoPharm… I wouldn’t touch it with a ten-gigaparsec pole. It’s CCP made.

Other countries must be very lacking on Vitamin D since covid has been very much noticeable there. Or your appreciation of Vitamin D is a bit much.

5 Likes

Norway and Taiwan have the highest Vitamin D levels worldwide - both due to supplementation. Just look at what Norway did so far - no mask, not many measures and faring very well. Only omicron now got them down too. That’s why I keep comparing Norway and Taiwan.

All studies related to Vitamin D and coronavirus are listed on vdmeta.com - if you exclude those with dosage below 1000 IU / day and those late stage Vitamin D studies (it will not help much late stage) - then the results are really clear. It would mean that a) only about half as many people get infected in Norway and Taiwan, b) infections will be less serious.
Also note that in most western countries around 30-50% of deaths were among elderly home residents - even though they make up like 1-2% of the population max. Elderly care home residents are known to suffer heavy vitamin D deficiencies.

1 Like

Many people in many countries are lacking in Vitamin D - this has been amplified by Lockdowns and isolations. Naturally Vit D is synthesised when UVB Light reacts with Cholesterol… being in the Sunshine is the best way to keep your Vitamin D levels good. Forcing people to remain indoors surely and quickly reduces Vit D…

Supplements do not work well, its not easy for your body to absorb these. If you have insufficient Zinc/Magnesium is even less effective.

I’ve been taking Vitamin D for the last two years and I haven’t got Covid once.

How do you like them apples?

6 Likes

But then Norway would be an outlier in his theory. They don’t get much sun either.
And if Norway can fare so well because of suggested Vitamin D supplements, then I don’t see why people in other countries can not benefit in equal ways from supplements.

Vitamins are sure important for our bodies. But I don’t think any amount of them could prevent covid from being mostly unnoticeable like topofan suggested.

2 Likes

You sure it’s not your high cholesterol?

yes exactly because they get little sun - all milk products and flour in Norway are vitamin D enhanced. In Taiwan just loads of convenience food has vitamin D on the ingredients list - likely because they know women especially avoid the sun like the plague. Studies have shown Taiwan and Norway having on average the lowest amount of people with vitamin D deficiency, and highest average levels.

The only other countries worldwide adding Vitamin D on mass scale are Sweden, Denmark and Finland - and they did considerably better than the rest of the world - especially looking at little measures. However those three countries add less.

It doesn’t really matter for your body how you get your Vitamin D - for covid up to 50 or 60 ng/ml has shown clear improvement. Note some studies have crazy high improvements numbers - because they didn’t adjust for other factors like obesity, age or co-morbidities - all factors commonly lowering your vitamin D levels. Adjusted studies still showed very significant results.

1 Like

Perhaps the most important component of the traditional Norwegian diet is fish. Hearty salmon fillets from Norway’s cold mountain rivers were often seasoned simply with dill . Other traditional seafood dishes include shrimp, cod, lobster, mackerel, herring, and monkfish.
Salmon. Salmon is a popular fatty fish and great source of vitamin D . According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Composition Database, one 3.5-ounce (100-gram) serving of farmed Atlantic salmon contains 526 IU of vitamin D, or 66% of the DV

I do think they eat a lot of salmon though, don’t they? I see Norway salmon packages everywhere in carrefour in the freezer. I’m not from Norway though, maybe google is lying to me.

Hi again BP… very happy indeed, I love Apples

I’ve been taking Vitamin D everyday of my life, and I too haven’t had Covid.

This is good for both of us

1 Like

You would need to eat an awful lot of that salmon to get to 50ng/ml vitamin D levels. Also I am pretty sure to remember that salmon from salmon farms is much lower in Vitamin D vs wild salmon. Yes norwegian salmon farms are churning out huge amounts of salmon…

Rule of thumb - 1000IU of vitamin D gives you 10ng/ml of Vitamin D as an adult. The more body fat you have - the less it increases your levels. The skinnier you are - the more it increases them. A full body sun bath in strong sun (evening/morning sun or in general lower 45° elevation gives you 0 vitamin D even though it can sunburn you) can give you up to 20.000 IU.
Above 100ng/ml Vitamin D gets dangerous, above 150ng/ml very dangerous. But yes without getting sunburned this is from sun alone impossible to reach - but if you consume way too much Vitamin D it is dangerous too. Best test from time to time to see how your body reacts to supplementation - because this rule of thumb actually can go quite wrong.

According to the above - to get your 5IU of Vitamin D you would need to eat 1kg of salmon. Now how realistic is that? There are some better things to eat - with higher Vitamin D content. Liver of some animals. But they are not in our usual diet…

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guy

1 Like

Should be Vitamin D fan.

Everything can be cured by Vitamin D it seems.

5 Likes

May I ask you which products, apart from Milk, include Vit D supplements? I’d be glad to incorporate more of those to my diet :sun_with_face:

Whilst maybe you missed my point earlier… in this particular case I believe you are the one who has been purchasing Vitamin D supplements

No I’m not , you are nuts. :grin:.
Also for reasons I don’t want to divulge I’m very well aware of the massive amount of bullshit research that has been created around Vitamin D being a cure for…Well…Everything. :metal:.

But it sucks in a lot of people who are in love with their vitamins and ‘natural’ potions.

2 Likes