😷 COVID - Canada | Canada Opens Tourism to Travellers - Vaccine Reqs. to End

Any word on how things are going at YVR?

It’s usually less terrible than YYZ, but nowadays who knows?

Guy

1 Like

I can’t find anything about what it’s currently like to arrive there. If you’re departing, seems to be a bit worse than usual - recommending arriving two hours before domestic departures, three hours before international departures.

1 Like

Were people describing it as Hell on Earth back then?

I’m sure there’s an Italian joke waiting to be made. :speak_no_evil:

No need for hyperbole though… :flying_saucer:

I know I was. And the employees were as bossy and miserable as ever.

Oh no! Taiwanese stonewalling! It’s spreading!

Leave aliens out of this!

Guy

1 Like

Yeah, but Pearson has been crappy for decades. I remember once they even proudly put up a sign boasting of their “Most Improved Airport of the Year” award, which reminded me of…

The difference is, now it’s crappy on a newsworthy scale. It’s up to 11, man!

1 Like

I never had to wait 5 hours for a flight though. It was insane and I am not looking forward to that againn

1 Like

One step that will reduce part of the problem at Canadian airports:

As a result, starting Saturday, June 11, only unvaccinated travellers will be required to take a test upon entry into Canada.

Up to now, fully vaccinated travellers were being subjected to random COVID-19 testing upon arrival.

The policy change is being billed as a “pause” because random arrival testing will be suspended between Saturday and June 30 — and the government plans to bring it back on July 1.

While the random arrival testing eventually will return, the government announced that, starting next month, all testing, including for the unvaccinated, will be moved off-site — meaning travellers will no longer be forced to give a sample for a test at the airport.

This change will mean airports can dismantle dedicated testing sites that have taken up space in the customs halls.

While the arrival testing program will be suspended, vaccine requirements remain.

All travellers will still be required to show that they’ve had their two shots — or one, in the case of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — before boarding a plane.

1 Like

Covidism is the new patriotism. :cactus:

So . . . it’ll be back, but off site, starting July 1.

Meanwhile some provinces have completed punted on PCR testing and genome sequencing. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like
2 Likes

To be clear, they are not suspending the ArriveCan app. Also, at the press conference they kind of gave away that they have no actual plan to fix the airport chaos in the short term.

The mask mandate for planes and trains will continue.

1 Like

There’s much more detail in this CBC article on the same topic:

Guy

1 Like

Clearer rules.

1 Like