Covid vaccines for children?

That’s my understanding as well (that the UK has approved it but vaccinations haven’t started yet). In the US, BNT was used for this age group but only 30% of the kids got the vaccine (Moderna is not approved for this age group in the US).

I will at the very least take a “you first” approach when it comes to my ten-year-old.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m on my 3rd Medigen. I sure don’t want my child taking anything other than something traditional like Medigen

I mean I’d prefer not having my child get a COVID vax from any vendor at this point. Just this morning when I read the news about approval for kids to get a vax here in Taiwan I told the wife I didn’t want our daughter to have it. She originally was in favor of a vax but I guess she’s read many of the same news reports about the consequences.

This entire thing has been a fiasco including allowing the virus to take off here before getting something we know is safe to treat the kids with. So horrible.

2 Likes

I’m finding it increasingly difficult not to lump the"jab all the kids" crowd into the same mental box I reserve for people who want to “circumcise” their daughters. It completely boggles my mind that any parent would willingly subject their child to an experimental procedure which even the experts have said is pointless at best. And it grinds my gears that people like @Chris, who I’m sure is a normal enough chap under ordinary circumstances but has almost certainly never even been within sniffing distance of a biology textbook, will happily swallow nonsense about “reservoirs of mutations and variants” from the gutter press the same way our 14th-century ancestors swallowed mumbo-jumbo about humours and bloodletting. The propaganda merchants have a lot to answer for, IMO.

The FDA are implying in their press release that Phase 3 trial data for Moderna is now available, but Moderna’s own website suggests that trials for this age range haven’t even started. Is someone telling porkies? I notice the article also claims that vaccinations prevent transmission in children, which is of course completely false.

Cynical cnuts. They’re going to leverage their own screwup - failing to get the kid to hospital on time because of “COVID protocols” - to push vaccines on terrified parents. I’d say “I don’t know how they sleep at night”, but I guess they don’t have much of a conscience.

4 Likes

Does anyone know any background to the dosage that Taiwan is planning to use for Moderna (half adult dose, 0.25 mililiters, 50 microgram)? I see that in Moderna’s trial they used quarter adult dose, but there is still some other regions that are using same dose as Taiwan (e.g. Australia)

I’ve read quarter dose, or 0.25ml.

Under the terms of the authorization, two 0.25 milliliter doses of the vaccine, each containing 50 micrograms of mRNA – half of the adult dosage – will be administered at least 28 days apart, Wu said.

2 Likes

This is our situation as well. It’s not just the children’s health we are still concerned over, but also the effects on our work. Disease spreads like wildfire with the nursery/daycare centers, so it seems to be only a matter of time.

I’d read a quarter dose too, where the half dose is the one already used for boosters in Taiwan. The ATAGI link you posted suggests that their recommendation for 6-11 year olds was a half dose as well, rather than the quarter dose suggested for Taiwan.

I’d be surprised if it was rigorously supported by evidence. IIRC, the original approval for half-dose booster shots was based on people already having received two full doses of Moderna, rather than full doses of other vaccines followed by a half dose of Moderna. I remember having the impression at the time that they were just making it up as they went along (it makes some amount of sense of course, given that kids are obviously smaller, but I’m not sure it’s actually been tested).

3 Likes

A lot of talk about it receiving Emergency use authorization in Oz, UK and Canada.

I still can’t find any numbers for how many kids have actually taken it.

e.g. for Germany about 19% of 5-11y/o are fully vaccinated (2 doses).

This seems conflicting whether Taiwan is going for half or quarter dose. The adult dose is 0.5mL so 0.25mL is half, same as booster for adults, and this is the number I see in the Taiwan news reports.

It seems that they were basing it on the fact that 12 year olds were already getting the full dose without major side effects so half should be OK for children 6 and older. Also, half dose is more convenient to administer as already used for the boosters.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/atagi-releases-moderna-guidance-for-children-aged

In a statement issued by ATAGI, the advisory group recommends that children aged 6–11 receive a two-dose schedule of 50 μg (0.25 mL) per dose – half of the primary dose administered to people aged 12 and over, but the same as the booster dose – with an interval of eight weeks.
For children who are severely immunocompromised, a third dose is recommended.

2 Likes

Taken moderna? How many kids under 11 have taken moderna?

Uk is zero.
Australia??
Canada??

Germany used Pfizer vaccine for young children. Moderna 12+

Seems the Moderna trial for 6-12 year olds was based on half dose:
https://investors.modernatx.com/news/news-details/2021/Moderna-Announces-Positive-Top-Line-Data-from-Phase-23-Study-of-COVID-19-Vaccine-in-Children-6-to-11-Years-of-Age-10-25-2021/default.aspx

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Oct. 25, 2021-- Moderna Inc. (Nasdaq: MRNA), a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced positive interim data from the Phase 2/3 study, called the KidCOVE study, of mRNA-1273, the Company’s vaccine candidate against COVID-19, in children 6 to under 12 years of age. This interim analysis showed a robust neutralizing antibody response after two doses of mRNA-1273 at the 50 µg dose level with a favorable safety profile. Moderna plans to submit these data to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA) and other global regulators in the near term.

My question was concerning moderna. They say it is authorized in three places.

But what they haven’t mentioned is how many have taken it in that age group in those countries.

Maybe I’m wrong and it has been used widely.

Obviously someone has to be first.

Taiwan number one.

It was allowed in the EU by EMA end of February 2022.
EMA gibt grünes Licht für Kinderimpfungen mit Moderna | tagesschau.de

Not sure how long the process takes until it can be used.
But end of November Pfizer vaccine was allowed for young kids and by now 1,1 million children in Germany got vaccinated with that.

The Moderna vaccine for children contains half the dose of an adult dose and is injected twice into the upper arm at four-week intervals. According to the EMA’s assessment, the efficacy and safety of Spikevax in children are comparable to that in adults. The benefits outweigh the risks, particularly in patients at risk of severe courses of infection. Possible side effects include pain and redness at the injection site, fatigue, headache, nausea, fever, or joint pain, he said. However, a number of countries have restricted vaccinations with Moderna because of the rare risk of heart muscle inflammation.

1 Like

So zero in Germany.

I didn’t ask about Pfizer.

They did not authorize it without testing.

Data from a total of 6700 children

The interim results presented are based on data from a total of 6700 children: 4200 between two and six years and 2500 between six months and two years. They were injected at 28-day intervals with 25 micrograms of the vaccine - a quarter of the dose given to adults - or a placebo. Despite the lower dose, the immune response was as strong as in adults. Adverse effects were mild or moderate and more common after the second dose, such as fever above 38 degrees, he said. There were no deaths or inflammation of the heart muscle or sac, nor were there any severe inflammatory reactions.
Nachrichten USA & Amerika | tagesschau.de

1 Like

So … 3350 subjects in the trial arm? Did they make that determination on the basis that adverse events are known to be extremely common? :thinking:

That study is underpowered in much the same way the car was underpowered in Borat’s village. And I’m not sure how “hey, it didn’t kill anyone” really meets the colloquial definition of “success” for a therapeutic.

But the show must go on.

4 Likes

Unsure if this has been discussed elsewhere – so many threads, so many posts – but this morning my son’s school asked me to sign a consent form for him to have the Moderna shot.

I refused – so far as I know it isn’t (yet) government policy to have elementary school kids vaccinated, here or anywhere else, and I’m not clear on who decided to do it at the school. But I suspect most parents will assume it’s official and/or required, and just sign it.

12 Likes