CPAP machine alternatives or a cheap way to get one

Most of the people I know in America that had them couldn’t stand them. They are usually covered by most insurance policies, but if you fail to use it properly, they take it back. They actually phone home to track usage. Two of my family members had their machines “repossessed”.

Most of the people that try them love them. Maybe the people you know didn’t like.

I tried mine first for six months and couldn’t adapt me or the settings or something then threw it in the closet for a few years. Pulled it out again, reset, and loved it from day one never look back.

I thought it was stupidity or pseudoscience for a long time until I finally managed to make it work and then life changing.

Maybe I should have them try again. A second doctor, after a series of overnight tests, did tell one that she wasn’t serious enough to require one though. That could be part of it.

This is a bit of a stupid idea but i’m throwing it out there.

Any merit in positioning oneself in front of flow of the aircon? As I understand that cooler air is better for the sinuses too.

:woman_shrugging: You miss all the shots you don’t take :man_shrugging:

I’d imagine that any benefit of that is outweighed by the dryness of the air. My nose and throat tend to feel incredibly dry when I wake up for the first week or two of sleeping in an AC room each year (and sometimes randomly after that anyway - I find the feeling not too dissimilar to a hangover).

1 Like

As an alternative, sleeping position can have a big impact, along with many other things of course. Nearly 100% of my apnea occur when sleeping on back according to the sleep study.

For me, I would look at tactics, techniques and procedures to prevent sleeping on back. There are even belts you can wear with bulge on back to prevent being in that position.

If you know your sleeping position where you stop breathing the most, try to avoid that position.

Here are my stats

Respiratory Events (/hr) by Sleep Position

• Back: 59
  • Left: 2.7
  • Right: 1.0
  • Front: 0
1 Like

For me the most comfortable sleeping position is on the side. But my report seems to suggest that it has minimal impact.

Is obesity really a big factor with sleep apnea? Like if I lose weight will that go away? Do I need to lose a lot of weight to have any effect?

Losing weight, for obese and for non-obese people, will help with sleep apnea and even snoring.

How much weight though? I mean if I lose 2 pounds will there be a difference? Or do I have to lose a lot of weight, enough to go from obese to average Taiwanese skinny boy?

I posted in our other thread about sleep apnea and being fitted a mouth guard, however I can also say that loosing fat has helped me a lot as well. (Notice, I didn’t necessarily say “losing weight,” though that will be a natural result).

I’m a relatively healthy and active guy, but I was still hovering around the 18-20% bf area. Basically, I would eat anything my heart desired, thinking, “Well, I work out so it should be fine.” I have a slim build, so by no means would anyone look at me and be concerned about my bf levels. However, I decided to really sharpen my diet while maintaining my regular exercise starting this February. Within a span of a couple months, my bf% has decreased significantly to where I no longer have a “double chin” and you can see a six-pack if you squint well enough. Anecdotally, I feels as if my airway is more open compared to when I was a higher bf levels, and my wife says my breathing sounds have become softer.

Basically, in my experience, lowering body fat works. They key is to have a good estimate of your daily calorie intake to be in a daily “calorie deficit,” while still eating enough protein. You don’t have to be a “skinny” boy, as long as you maintain exercise and proper nutrition. Doing this requires a significant lifestyle change, so it’s up to you whether or not you want to do it. I’m just chiming in to say that anecdotally, it’s worked for me.

1 Like

Calorie deficit seems to be elusive because if I could just use food to power power plants I wouldn’t have to pay for electricity ever. Seems food is way more calorie rich than we think.

If I could increase my food budget then I could eat mainly meat and vegetables (both of these are expensive, in Taiwan vegetable price is very unstable). But don’t even try for a calorie deficit with carbs. You could eat 5000 calories of those a day without much of a thought and your body will still want more and more.

So when it comes down to it, it’s a money problem. If you have more money, you can eat healthier.

True words. Food budget will have to increase. However, calorie deficit wasn’t quite as elusive as I had first anticipated it to be when I first started. The reality is, you’re going to have to experiment and figure out what range of calories you need to maintain for calorie deficit. After a couple weeks of counting, I’ve concluded that 1600-1800 is a good number for me, depending on if I work out that day. I have to do a lot of walking for work, so that allows me to have least 1600.

It will also be different for different people.

Meaning for you, 1600 is enough, but for others, they may have to go as low as 800.

800 calories is freakishly easy to go over, and you basically have to starve yourself to get that. A biandang has that much calories, and I’m not talking about large ones, I’m talking about those tiny ones they sell at 7-11.

Whereas others can eat almost 5000 a day and still be slim, even if they have zero physical activity.

Some bodies are just far more efficient with food than others.

One Chipotle burrito will meet my calorie # for one inactive day in the States! But they’re so delicious…

I was prescribed some glucophage… my a1c was getting close to diabetes level.

It definitely reduced my appetite some. It made it so hunger didn’t hurt as much as before, and also I feel full with less food than before.

I think blood sugar and insulin level (as well as resistance) is one factor that decides whether or not you become obese easily. Unfortunately they are different for everyone.

1 Like

This news report is somewhat erroneously reporting that the mouth guard is a substitute.

This is and has been one of many possible options based on each individual situation.

2 Likes

I wonder if Taiwan has yet decided to help sleep apnea assistance by providing CPAP machines through NHI?

Is there some database or internet source to find out?

Hospitals with world class sleep clinics seems like once they have an analysis and say you need something then they would help fulfill that requirement.

I’m using the one I bought myself in the USA but wondering about my next future CPAP need.

Unfortunately not. My ENT along with other doctors has petitioned for inclusion of sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment in NHI coverage, but so far there has been no change. Patients must still bear all the costs.

2 Likes

It must be deemed unnecessary or too expensive… I’m surprised by how expensive they are too

CPAP is one of the best things that ever happened to me in my life.

Healthwise, especially long-term, CPAP is a no-brainer, it contributes to better health and lower future health costs in the future.

Unrelated to sleep apnea, does NHI provide any kind of hardware for healthcare in other situations?

I guess for one example you see these people in wheelchairs with oxygen, does NHI provide for that or are they paying for that themselves?