CPAP machine alternatives or a cheap way to get one

I need a CPAP machine, because my sleep has been crap almost every single night. I am always tired during the day, except after about 9-10pm in which I have a ton of energy and can’t or don’t want to sleep. Then of course I sleep around 2am or later, and then when I wake up I feel very tired and I had lots of dreams (basically every single night).

A sleep test revealed that my blood oxygen level lowered during sleep so I need CPAP, but the problem is NHI does not cover it and they are expensive, more than 35,000NT each. I can’t afford it especially that I can barely afford rent (at 10k a month).

So what can I do to get better sleep without having to use medication (which I need in order to sleep on time, or else I simply do not sleep at all until 8am).

1 Like

First, I’m sorry to hear you suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Next, you need to start looking for ways to change your lifestyle if you seriously want to help your situation without the benefit of a CPAP machine

Look into this technique - I am also looking into it

Remember that buying CPAP machines online in the US is A LOT cheaper than buying in Asia. So look towards that at some point - maybe buy something to send to a friend or relative coming here to Taiwan

As you discussed your sleep test results, did you get a clear understanding of the kind of apnea you have? For me, the position I sleep makes a big difference. For years, I slept on my side, but this led to aches, especially as my body weight leaked. Recently (the past 4 months), I’ve been sleeping semi-upright with excellent results - my AHI during this time is usually below 2.0 and I’ve touched 0.7 2 or 3 times. Before this, I was happy if my AHI was below 10.0 (note: I measure my AHI from my CPAP machines, which isn’t great but I find is better than no measurement)

To sleep semi-upright, I pile blankets at the head of my bed and layer them down. I found an air mattress at Costco and then place that on my bed. I’m pretty satisfied with the results. Note: my sleep is still not perfectly restful, but I know it is much better than without these adjustments.

As I mentioned, you will need to change your habits - sleep earlier and sleep more, lose weight. These are not easy things for most of us

Depending on your type of Apnea, a neck pillow might help. A cervical collar should work better than that.

Learn more over at

2 Likes

I think what is more typical of OSA people is the opposite. When you get effective CPAP therapy going, you dream MORE and more VIVIDLY. A lot of other good things start to happen, too - daytime weariness goes down, so does forgetfulness (and other things but I forget), libido goes up

3 posts were split to a new topic: What kind of machines do you have

Is there any reason why I can’t have a CPAP machine shipped here directly from the US? Is it restricted?

I do not know anyone coming back from the states, not for a long time anyways.

Nose breathing strips to keep airway open, sinus medicine for nighttime, sleep on side with body pillow.

1 Like

Also I looked on ebay and the prices aren’t really that much lower. It’s not like it’s sold for 100 USD in the states (unless you have insurance anyways), and sold for 1000 USD here. In fact here it’s around 30,000NTD anyways. And I can’t afford that. I don’t care if it’s a 5000nt difference because as far as I am concerned it might as well be 30 million NT.

My Taiwan doctor told me to buy CPAP in the US (outside Taiwan) because it’s cheaper. Few years ago. Sans NHI.

Yeah, there is - you need a licence/permission to import medical devices (don’t know the details, just read that somewhere before, probably on here).

Aren’t CPAP machines covered by NHI though? I thought they were.

You can rent one: https://www.transgene.com.tw/cpaprent-2/

In the long run, it costs less to buy than to rent, but if you cannot buy one right away, this is an option.

If you were so inclined, you could also build one using an open source schematic.

Further information in the below article.

2 Likes

@Taiwan_Luthiers

Did you get a CPAP?

Can’t recall if you have tried nose strips. They changed my sleeping and energy/mind to the point that I would not sleep without them.

My sleep test doctor said I need a CPAP. Recently started using it. It freagin changed my life mentally and physically. Feel like I’ve been handicapped my entire life until I started CPAP. I will report on it here eventually.

I bought mine in USA as recommended by my Taiwan doctor, he said cheaper in USA. That was awhile back. I see RESMED has an office in Taipei and I want to check it out.

My next goal is to get this little travel CPAP with bluetooth to phone to record data and no need to download data via SD card.

1 Like

Anyone know the common local translation for CPAP in Chinese?

Is this the translation? 睡眠呼吸機

I can’t even afford rent all that well, let alone spend 40,000 or more (I know it’s cheaper in the states but say 28,000 is still as unaffordable for me as 100,000,000).

So no I didn’t get a CPAP. All I can do to get better rest is sleep more, like 9 hours. I can’t even sleep that much without medications.

I used an app called “sleep cycle” and it only says I get better sleep when I sleep more than 9 hours. I do wake up refreshed but it doesn’t last. I get tired around 3pm and then sometimes I even have to nap at 8 because otherwise I couldn’t function at all. Then I am highly energetic past 10pm. If I do not use medications I could stay up til 6am. My body is on a 36 hour day or something.

Unless I can get a CPAP subsidized by some means (either pay monthly or an insurance plan to allow me to get it for less than 3000) I won’t be able to get them.

I tried nasal strips when I had breathing problems in Austin (I don’t know what, but something in the air closes off my nose completely so I could only breathe through the mouth). They are not only uncomfortable, they don’t work, and they won’t stick to my nose.

Maybe a market of used ones. Some people just like replacing things. And might be willing to part with it at a good deal willing to help knowing how useful they are to other people.

But probably just have to keep searching and searching.

Don’t know where off the top of my head.

Rent to own?

This is a thing in some countries but I don’t know about Taiwan. Maybe through a hospital or a medical equipment supplier or a Sleep Clinic or doctor’s office or an OEM office.

Would you want to buy used CPAP machines? Who knows what kind of nasty stuff lurks within…

I don’t know of any rent to own schemes in Taiwan with anything… It does not seem to be a thing here in Taiwan. At least I have never seen rent to own houses here.

Any house is rent-to-own outside of big cities because the interest is nonexistent. But you gotta have the down payment.

I was worried about this for a long time. Then I realized nothing from the human body reaches the machine. Everything exits the machine.

Similar to the respirator machines used in hospitals that are passed among everybody. Even the most ill and contagious of patients.

Before I tried one I would not consider a previously owned CPAP machine. But now that I know the benefits, I would definitely consider using one previously owned.

A lot of people buy them, can’t deal with it, and then sell them but it’s probably hard to find that market here.

Where can I buy used CPAP machines? And are they much cheaper than new ones? A lot of used stuff is not cheaper than new here.