Crap published books

I’m reading, Funeral for a dog.

It’s crap.

1 Like

I really hate The Great Gatsby. Does that count?

4 Likes

Maybe the TV show is better?

If you hate it, you hate it.

Does it go on about European men and their cocks?

I’ve actually read a lot of terrible books but I won’t name them.

Actually?

Tautologist.

Name them.

I tried to go back and read The Catcher in the Rye once and wondered why I ever liked it.

1 Like

I can’t stand anything by Jane Austin or Thomas Hardy. I also don’t see what the fuss is about Virginia Woolf.
And James Joyce is a pretentious wanker.

1 Like

Throw more punctuation about

If you read it as humor it’s great. It’s a book full of morons.

1 Like

The Three Body Problem - Cixin Liu. I’m told it’s better in the original Chinese. It can stay there.

3 Likes

The magicians by Lev Grossman.

The show looks alright but the novel is pretty awful

Have you read any 19 century American southern stuff? Same same wrt the language bit.

I have a 100 year old edition of Uncle Remus. It’s god damned hilarious. I wish I could meet an old southern black man to read it to me in its original sound, if that’s even possible.

1 Like

A terrible book (or series of books) indeed. I thought some of his short stories were interesting, but his novels are among the worst sci-fi I’ve ever read. It’s like there was a rush for Asian representation in the field of science fiction, and Western publishers just started publishing him like crazy without bothering to evaluate the quality of his books.

2 Likes

That book only seems deep if you’re in your teens.

And James Joyce is a pretentious wanker.

I could go there with Finnegan’s Wake but I love everything he did up to that point.

1 Like

The 1619 Project

Three bags of :poop: :poop: :poop:

1 Like

George RR Martin’s Game of Thrones books. I bought the whole lot after watching the TV show. Pile of utter pulpy dreck.

3 Likes

Anything by Brené Brown.

Not even short story long. It’s no story long. To be generous to her, publishing 200 pages of absolutely nothing is a skill in itself.

Anything I have tried to reed by Stephen King.

TLDR: To me the man is just flat out boring.

Put this into context, with my dyslexia reading an average size novel is a 6 month commitment.
Reading one of the Diskworld books, would take the average reader a few days (I have friends who would do it in a day and complexly miss out on the joy of reading a story), this would take me around 3months.

The reasons for this is because I have to constantly go back and cross reference the story line, also because to make sense of the words I have to convert it into visuals in my head, sort of a method acting for reading.

For example, when I read “Johnny was walking with s bag over his shoulder”,
what I see is
Johnny is white around 6 foot, mousy brown hair with a fringe, wearing a light grey hoodie that is a little too big but looks warm. He has some black skinny fit jeans and white Adidas trainers.
the bags is a small backpack style bag that is a royal blue, the has one strap over his left shoulder and holding it with his left hand. The right strap is dangling loose across his back his right arm is bent at the elbow and slightly out in front of him, we can’t see the forearm and hand as this is not in our line of sight. our point of view is from the rear left.

At the moment he is standing in a void waiting for more information, it could be a shopping mall or a battle ship, the scene will adjust with any new information , Dr Martins, gloves, no problem all updated and I will just keep filling in the blanks until the author gives me a reason not to.

Bearing this in mind if the story hasn’t hooked me within the first week I will find it hard to commit longer to it on the hope that it will get better.

Stephen King just seams to fall flat, I could never get into his work, so on the recommendation of a friend I decided to stick with it, I read about a 3rd into IT it took me about 3 months and then I gave up, I wasn’t about to waist another 6 months on it.

Clive Barker on the other-hand I think is underrated.

4 Likes