Creation of an adult ADHD support group

Hi there,

This is from a previous post in this forum about ADHD therapy in Taipei.

I want to explore starting a support group or a meetup in Taipei for those with ADHD, or even those who suffer from some of the symptoms of it even if you aren’t sure you have it.

Sometimes even those we love don’t understand what we’re going through fully and it just helps to be around people who just get it

A Facebook group and what not can get messy, but, if you’re interested please feel free to:

A. Reply to this post.

B. Hit my inbox.

I will compile LINE IDs and create a group on the messaging app, and from there I can make a meetup plan.

Schedules vary, so, obviously this will be a touch and go thing at first. But, let’s see!

EDIT: You can just add me on LINE directly too, that’s fine. (Skramerwrites)

5 Likes

This is great and needed, but I just feel bad it’s only in Taipei…

Would you allow the admittance of other learning disabled individuals. Perhaps I have ADHD. Perhaps a bit autistic but I definitely have perceptual motor memory and visual problems.

You’re kind of getting off on the wrong foot by calling us “snobs”, but I personally wouldn’t have any issue about it. If it’s a group it’d probably have to be a consensus decision though, I assume.

Can I join? :grin:

I have GAD (anxiety) but there is overlap with ADHD. I like this idea.

Sorry, for the snob remark. Perhaps it was self deprecating humor. I edited it.
I’m not exactly what ADHD is or if it was around when I was in the system…
Quote: Many children with ADHD ¬ approximately 20 to 30 percent ¬ also have a specific learning disability .
So maybe I am ADHD.
Regardless, I’m a fellow sufferer of neurological impairment.
BTW, does anyone know a local neurologist who can write notes recognized by the United States. I may have to take the GRE again and, I need a note from recognized expert to qualify for the reasonable accommodation usually extra time

Absolutely! It’s important for us to remember there are an array of different experiences we have with mental health.

Message me your LINE

Message me your LINE. You are welcome!

Did you send me your info? We can figure something out maybe outside of Taipei if people are spread out enough.

I’m in.

I can’t send private messages on this new account. But I’ve been in Taiwan 10 years since 2004.

What location do you have in mind? Supposing it will be in Taipei city, it would have to be a private location. I picture this somewhat like an AA meeting (sorry for this bad analogy if it offends anyone).

Hello :slight_smile: Does the ADHD support group still exist? This post is a few years old. I am moving to Taipei in a few months.

Thanks!

Came across this year old video (Mar 2023) that might be useful for someone who is starting to look for information about Adult ADHD. I’m a fan of Andrew Huberman and this video isn’t too long

Chat GPT Summary

Key Discussion Points:

• Andrew Huberman discusses a tool that can significantly improve focus and attentional control in both children and adults, with or without ADHD. This method involves a one-time, 17-minute session of “quiet interoception,” which has the potential to rewire the brain for better attention.
  • The discussion includes the concept of “attentional blinks,” a phenomenon where focused attention on one thing can lead to missing other information. This is particularly noted in individuals with ADHD but is a general trait that affects many people’s ability to focus.
  • Huberman explains the technique of “open monitoring” and “panoramic vision” as a simpler, alternative practice to meditation for improving focus. This involves dilating one’s gaze to include a broader visual field while maintaining awareness, which can be practiced by anyone regardless of visual impairments.

Main Takeaways:

• Andrew Huberman suggests a simple 17-minute practice of “quiet interoception” as a powerful tool for rewiring the brain to improve focus and reduce “attentional blinks.”
  • This practice involves sitting quietly, closing one’s eyes, and focusing on internal states such as breathing and bodily sensations without directing the mind towards any specific thought or activity.
  • The method is beneficial for people of all ages, with or without ADHD, and can also help mitigate age-related cognitive decline.
  • Another discussed method, “panoramic vision” or “open monitoring,” involves consciously dilating one’s gaze to achieve a broader visual field, enhancing the ability to process information both visually and over time.
  • The specific solution Andrew Huberman talks about involves a one-time practice lasting approximately 17 minutes, which significantly reduces the number of attentional blinks and improves focus in a near-permanent manner, without requiring further training.

Not discounting Mr Huberman, but ADHD takes a number of forms, one of which is noticing EVERYTHING. Broadening the vision would be extremely counter-productive for those folks. :joy:

1 Like

My impression is that, to borrow the phrase, ‘broadening the vision’ serves to prevent or mitigate ‘attentional blinks’, or moments of over focus.

If someone with adhd can achieve and maintain a systemic view on the near scale of self, or time, they may be able apply such a practice on larger scale systems, such as a classroom for a whole day, or at least one lesson at a stretch

2 Likes