Credit Card for hotels of flights rewards in Taiwan

Hi, I was wondering if anyone found a good credit card (that accept aprc/arc) holders to play the miles games to accumulate rewards?

I was wondering what was the “best” option in Taiwan?

Thank you!

There is a thread where I discussed this, but really depends on your alliance/airline/hotel chain of loyalty. There are good ones, not as good as in the states perks wise, but miles accrual are decent.

HSBC traveller infinite is the best for accruals and can redeems with the widest networks of partners. 8k annual fee non waivable

DBS flying world come second as per accruals but small redeeming network. 3.5k p.a. non waivable.

Then ofc you have the amex platinum, with all the perks of it but rather shabby accrual rate (and the difficulty in using it in TW). 38.5k p.a. fee

Then you have the airlines specific cards.

Eva air has cards both with Cathay United and amex. Cathay United supreme infinite card is a very good card for accruals and perks, the fee is high (28k if I recall correctly) and if you are not too interested in the complimentary full dragon pass for lounge access, then the normal infinite card will give you same miles accruals and almost same perks at 2.4k p.a. the amex Eva air platinum card is unique, as it is a fully fledged amex platinum but cobranded, I haven’t seen one like this anywhere else. So you have all normal amex platinum perks plus special Eva air perks. Accruals are still in the shabby side, but you earn a lot in perks. I have it and don’t regret the 38.5k annual fee,you can get more value out of it if used wisely.

Them u have China airlines with the CTBC cards, the top card is very compelling since gives you 2 yrs complimentary gold status with CI, very good accruals and airfare discounts and other perks but it’s like the Cathay top card, ±26k p.a. the lower tier one gives 1 yr of gold status, similar discounts and accruals for 8k p.a.

Then you have the new Esun starlux cards, the world card gives u somewhat decent accruals, priority check in, but no lounges, but airfare discounts. Annual fee is less than 10k p.a.

Then Cathay Pacific taishin card, has some good accruals and a few complintary lounge access per yr.

Don’t even waste your time with the ANA card by CTBV or JAL card by xin Kong, useless. Shitty accrual rates and virtually no usable perks.

CTBC also has a weird CI-MU-CZ alliance card, but unless you are a real Chinese patriot and fly only around SHA-PVG-CAN I don’t see the point.

This is a quite comprehensive summary.

All banks accept ARC as I got them all on ARC, and if they start with guarantor or foreigner nonsense, just report them to FSC and the financial ombudsman (FOI). They relent. HSBC and DBS After my complaint they changed procedure and now fully welcome us dirty foreigners. Cathay never gave me an issue, CTBC is latently disapproving you with low limits, taishin not an issue, xin Kong had to complain, esun complained too. Amex only one we can apply online and never had any issue. Got an amex here after 3 weeks of arrival with no credit history nor score.

13 Likes

Good summary!

Not sure this part is entirely true though – a Mexican friend was told by one DBS branch a couple of weeks ago that foreigners can’t open bank accounts there. I think it was one in Neihu. After he argued a bit, they said they’d check and call him back, but he found another branch in the meantime where they would serve him and were apparently very helpful. They even did the CRS forms correctly.

3 Likes

I was referring to credit cards only, accounts different.

Still isn’t very welcoming if some branches are telling foreigners they’re not welcome even for bank accounts (let alone credit cards). :man_shrugging:

He should write complaint to FSC and to CEO of DBS.

Yeah I told him. Not sure he can be bothered, like 99+% of foreigners living here.

1 Like

I’m going to email the CEO again anyway will tag this thread. Not surprised they tell citizens who are not “Chinese” they aren’t welcome also. When someone asks me about DBS I tell them don’t bother go to HSBC

3 Likes

credit cards are handled by the credit card centre, since we need to mail in the application to avoid dealing with the moronic staff at branch.

His problem also then. We can only do that much to help.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Do you have thoughts on AMEX cards? Is it even possible to get one in Taiwan for us?

1 Like

It’s the easiest, I have the amex Eva air platinum. You apply online even. And also if you have an amex from another country, that makes it even easier to get a card.

Only issue with them is that it’s not that widespread among merchants to use and the accrual rates are not that good ( TWD 25 per mile domest, ~TWD 12.5 for overseas)

20k fee and 20 vs 22 $/mile for domestic spend actually, but you shouldn’t use this card for that. HSBC one is 18/mile. I keep getting rejected for this card but I’m going to make them an offer they can’t refuse soon.

I’m going to get cube for grocery shopping because 3 points per 100$ (activated category) and the 300/360 point → 1000 mile conversion rate makes it equivalent to 10-12$/mile redemption.

(only collecting eva points, china airlines calculation is different)

I don’t understand the value of this card. What unique perks are there other than 2 free upgrade vouchers starting second year and only if you spend an exuberant amount of money in the previous year?

Btw you can get HSBC US cards and transfer miles to eva at 1.25 → 1 ratio. Credit Card Offers & Benefits - HSBC Bank USA

I will get the no annual fee one as soon as I know how I can spend 3k USD in 3 months for the sign up bonus.

What’s the benefit of getting local credit cards over using US cards? If businesses in Taiwan report categories (travel, dining, groceries, etc.) correctly, will you get points from using US cards?

Some local cards have higher rewards, some merchants do not accept foreign cards, and some do not have the option to apply for US cards.

1 Like

absolutely, I only use the cathay BR card abroad, where is 10$ per mile! even within Europe where many cards (HSBC and DBS included) do not accrue miles, it is explicitly excluded in the T&Cs. Domestically I use the DBS world flying card, also 18$ per mile and cheaper fee than HSBC. I used to have the HSBC card, I liked it, but the 8K fee was a tad too high. DBS fee better for the type of usage.

the 2 upgrade certificates r not even to consider, it requires ~1.2M $ spend per year to get. The perks are priority checkin at eva air counters, full and unlimited access to Eva air lounges (at TPE is the star, which is ok, the one for star alliance gold), full access to amex centurion lounges, full access to priority pass lounges and plaza premium lounges. Little known, you can also access lufthansa lounges if flying with a carrier of the group and delta skyclubs if flying delta.
Then you have all the discounts and promotion of amex both in TW and abroad. In TW many fancy restaurants give up to 50% discount if paying with the card, and many good hotels here give a promotional TWD 3.3k nightly rate with breakfast if booking with the card.
Then all the amex fine hotel and resorts deals when booking via the card hotline. plus the very comprehensive insurances included.
It’s a card to study a lot to get out the maximum value, but last year I actually got savings for more than 50K thanks to this card (miles bonus, discounted lodging and restaurants)

1 Like

Good to know!

Do they physically check the cards? Or it’s set up in the POS systems to reject foreign cards? Does having a credit card help build up your credit history (assuming a credit score system exists in Taiwan), and make it easier to get a loan down the road?

Hmm ok that card is definitely not for me, I don’t really value any of that. I only care about accrual rate/any lounge access is fine/airport taxi/sign up+renewal bonus miles.

Everyone has his priorities ofc, for me I do see a lot of value, and indeed get value out of it, like also the included premium memberships at hotels (Hilton, marriot and Radisson) very handy, especially the Hilton on which provides complimentary breakfast. And premium memberships also with car rentals (Avis and hertz, although the only decent one for perks is avis)

The card reader at some convenience stores and groceries like pxmart don’t accept foreign cards

After getting a mortgage, it made no difference. Maybe they check it for red flags like debt/missed payment?

1 Like

Yeah

1 Like