Credit Card Success Stories - Share Your Timeline & Application Details

E.Sun Pi Card:

Are those rates really based on individual risk or just the same for all customers of a specific card?

1 Like

The interest rate only matters if carrying over a balance each month right? I make the statement payment every month so interest shouldn’t be charged?

1 Like

My understanding is the rates are evaluated regularly based on your credit score. I know a long time ago when I had those cash advance only card it started at 18 percent and steadily went down to 12 percent over the years.

Why does that look so photoshopped? :grin:

The Mega Bank credit card page for gold card holders says this at the bottom:

循環利率依本行「新臺幣一年期定期儲蓄存款固定利率」加碼年息4.43%~15%,上限15%,基準日:105/1/7。預借現金手續費:預借金額X3%+NT$150/等值之約定外幣;網路申辦:預借金額X3%,最低NT$100計。其他費用依本行網站公告

Google translation:

The revolving interest rate is based on the bank’s “NTD one-year time deposit fixed interest rate” plus an annual interest rate of 4.43%~15%, with an upper limit of 15%. Base date: 105/1/7. Cash advance fee: advance amount X3%+NT$150/equivalent agreed foreign currency; online application: advance amount X3%, minimum NT$100. Other fees shall be announced on the website of the Bank

my salary slips used my chinese name, but the account was on my English name… so i couldnt use them as proof of income to get a card…

2 Likes

Lovely

That’s so stupid.

I would complain, that’s unreasonable and, u guess, against art 7 of the financial consumer protection act as long as ur A(P)AR or ID/passport shows both thr name, then it is u.

just send a message to fsc, it’s easy and free and u can do it in english. U can even try to complain to the bank first and then if they give u bs go to the ombudsman. Less crying here and more beating their lazy and stupid ass

It’s either because I actually photoshopped the screenshot to flex online with a low interest rate on my credit card or because Taiwanese banks use really outdated software to create PDFs (which embed some text as images). Who knows :whistle:

So a really good credit card interest rate in Taiwan should be less than 10% and possibly even less than 6% (at least with certain banks). Now I need to photoshop my screenshot again to reflect that… :innocent:

1 Like

I believe by law the max rate is 15% on a credit card purchases? Not sure if this applies to a cash advance.

1 Like

Doesn’t your ARC have your Chinese name on it?

Names don’t mean jack in Taiwan. It’s your arc number, id number that is used by the government. Name change is easy in Taiwan even if the number of changes allowed is limited. Furthermore lots of Chinese name is common, I bet 陳宥翔 is probably one of the most common names in Taiwan.

Id numbers aren’t perfect either… Because that A123456789 is a real id number and is used in all sample docs that the person who has this number can’t even get a cell contract due to how many people share it. I wonder if the government will assign a new number in this case?

Jesus. Okay, I’ll relax my cap for today and respond to this piece of bullshit. :roll:

You’re wrong TL. Obviously wrong. Why are you even writing this nonsense when you have no clue what you’re talking about? Don’t you have better things to do?

You’re Taiwanese, yeah? You don’t have an ARC, and you’re not a foreigner living here. I’m not sure how many times you need to be told this, but your limited experience doesn’t necessarily reflect everything that ever happens to everyone on the planet.

The names on our ARCs most definitely mean something, like when we get bank transfers rejected because the names aren’t an exact match, or when credit card application forms state clearly that our names should exactly match those on our IDs, or when we have problems simply buying stuff online because we don’t have Chinese names on our ARCs. There are probably more examples I can’t be bothered thinking about for now.

@izzy literally just said they had a problem with this exact issue, and you’re responding to say there wasn’t a problem because names don’t matter in Taiwan? Are you suggesting they’re lying? Can’t you give it a rest for like one hour?

Completely irrelevant to a thread about credit cards. Again, can’t you just give it a rest?

I like to believe you’re trying to be helpful and/or contribute something, but you’d get far fewer people complaining at you each day if you didn’t insist on posting something untrue in virtually every thread.

4 Likes

Correct according to the banking act.

3.88%

I had no idea interests could get that low. That’s mortgage level interests in the states.

Max that baby out and put it in the S&P!

1 Like

I should have done that with the remainder from my student loan… the interest rate there is 4%.

Mine is 3.88%…

1 Like

You must be special, or something.

I think some context might be helpful.

But I remember back when I had those cash advance only cards (I don’t know if they still offer those now) my limit got raised to 150,000 without me asking. I never used anywhere near that though.

Edit: So it turns out the highest interest rate the gov. allows is 15%

But it can be 5-15%, but you must have extremely low risk/great credit rate to get 4% or below.

https://www.fsc.gov.tw/ch/home.jsp?id=96&parentpath=0,2&mcustomize=news_view.jsp&dataserno=201508310003&toolsflag=Y&dtable=News

Government regulation on credit card interest rates.

By the way there are ways to get an “installment plan” with credit cards. This means they charge whatever the installment is on your card, and for the number of payments. This is interest free though I’m sure the interest is actually baked into the fees. Never tried that.