Cricket World Cup

Calling all cricket fans!! I’ve opened a Forumosa Cricket Club pool for the Cricket World Cup. Join Superbru and enter this pool code: lotsgnaw or search for Forumosa Cricket Club to find us. As with all Forumosa sports pools on Superbru I’ll be posting the round winners and logs after each round where you will have bragging rights should you win the Yellow Cap. The winner of the competition gets a home cooked meal from Jimipresley
(Disclaimer: unless he never meets you, or if he forgets.)
and Maoman will shake your hand and congratulate you at a Forumosa Happy Hour giving you much face in the Forumosa community.

I also suggest we use this thread to sledge each other, to discuss the games and for good natured ribbing (Please note, good natured ribbing does not include references to teams always choking, lame picture posts of choke collars etc etc, unless directed at Australia. :wink: ).

Edit: Get onboard soon as the first game starts on 19 February 2011 (India v Bangladesh).
For reference, here’s a list of participating nations.
AUSTRALIA
BANGLADESH
CANADA
ENGLAND
INDIA
IRELAND
KENYA
NETHERLANDS
NEW ZEALAND
PAKISTAN
SOUTH AFRICA
SRI LANKA
WEST INDIES
ZIMBABWE

FEAR my omniscience, whippersnappers!

New Zealand are equally deserving of choke pictures.

Um… I was referring to another posts usage of choke collar pics to describe the All Black RWC campaigns, i.e. good humoured sledging is all good, continuous OT harping on a tired old topic isn’t. The “unless directed at Australia” part was just a joke, though.

There is live video streaming (free!) of the ICC CWC on espnstar.com The picture isn’t great but there aren’t any delays in the feed. It does sometimes freeze though and you have to click back and restart it. First cricket I’ve watched in eight years! :smiley:

In our defence, the Netherlands did win the toss.

Errr…

Jeesh, we’re an absolute shambles.

That was just horrible. I assume we surely must be able to knock of the runs against that attack, however…

India next.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Round 1 results:
Bangladesh v India - India won by 87 runs
Kenya v New Zealand - New Zealand won by 10 wickets (with 252 balls remaining)
Sri Lanka v Canada - Sri Lanka won by 210 runs
Australia v Zimbabwe - Australia won by 91 runs

Forumosa Cricket Club Log after round 1

All the lads got all the winners right and we all got a bonus point for the round, but the margins were separated by…well…our margins. In this, Lyndfield was King and is off to a flying start and claims the first cap and a tenuous 0.5 point lead over second placed Matchstick, who is 0.25 points ahead of Stripe. The back six are separated by a mere 0.75 points between us, so anything can happen in the next round, and some positional changes are assured!

Fixtures for Round 2:
England v Netherlands
Kenya v Pakistan
South Africa v West Indies
Australia v New Zealand
Bangladesh v Ireland

At the time of this post, the England v Netherlands match was underway. Netherlands 292/6 (50 ov). England require another 110 runs with 8 wickets and 16.2 overs remaining.

Shit! You weren’t kidding! Brilliant picture! Enjoying the hell out of the England match right now! Cheers for the heads up, mate. :thumbsup:

Edit: Loved watching the tail end of that game. Brilliant fight back by England! :bravo:

Edit edit: Watching the post match interviews, and all the English and Dutch players they’ve interviewed so far sound like Saffas. WTF? South Africa (Proteas). South Africa A (England). South Africa B (Netherlands). :astonished:

Yeah, apparently there were eight Saffas between the two teams. Does this mean you’ll be cheering for England?

Sneaking the odd look at SA vs the Windies while at work - good early wicket for the men in green and gold.

A question though from this WC - bear in mind I haven’t watched much cricket in the past few years. Why are so many bowlers getting away with deliveries which would have been called for chucking back when I was playing the game? Influx of baseball pitchers?

Geez. Tough one. Maybe if South Africa gets knocked out.

Yep, going well for SA. Currently 124-2 after 26 overs. SA need 99 to win from 24 overs. Very doable.

Haven’t really noticed that TBH.

Round 2 results:
Bangladesh v Ireland - Bangladesh won by 27 runs
Australia v New Zealand - Australia won by 7 wickets
South Africa v West Indies - South Africa won by 7 wickets
Kenya v Pakistan - Pakistan won by 205 runs
England v Netherlands - England won by 6 wickets

Forumosa Cricket Club Log after round 2

Yours truly strikes back and wins the Yellow Cap for round two. Take a bow Bismarck. :notworthy:
:smiley: Ok, then. Thanks. As predicted, there were several changes in the log after round 2. Matchstick moves into first from second :bravo: , Lyndfield drops from first to third, with Elf moving up from fourth to second to make up the new top three. Stripe drops out of the top three (3rd) to sixth and Almas John drops from fifth to ninth. Frikkie moves up from joint fifth to fourth and I move up two places from seventh to fifth. Theman remains at eighth in the only non-move of the round as jimi moves up two places from ninth to seventh. Overall, not a bad round with four players predicting all the winners of the round and gaining a vital bonus point (Bismarck, Elf, Frikkie and jimi).
As the running is still pretty tight, with Matchstick only holding on to a narrow 1.10 point lead and the difference between second and fifth being a mere 0.25 points there are sure to be much more movement on the log over the next round.

Fixtures for Round 3:
Pakistan v Sri Lanka
India v England
Canada v Zimbabwe
Netherlands v West Indies

Group A

1 Australia 4
2 Sri Lanka 2
3 Pakistan 2
4 New Zealand 2
5 Zimbabwe 0
6 Canada 0
7 Kenya 0

Group B

1 India 2
2 South Africa 2
3 England 2
4 Bangladesh 2
5 Netherlands 0
6 Ireland 0
7 West Indies 0

Round 3 results:
Canada v Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe won by 175 runs
India v England - Match tied
Netherlands v West Indies - West Indies won by 215 runs
Sri Lanka v Pakistan - Pakistan won by 11 runs

Forumosa Cricket Club Log after round 2

I narrowly escape with the Yellow Card and first position. :bravo: Elf remains in second position, Matchstick drops to third, Lyndfield takes my old position at fifth and Frikkie remains at fourth. Stripe stays at 6th, while jimipresley falls to 8th as Theman passes him for 7th. Almas seems to have claimed 9th as his own.

Fixtures for Round 4:
Sri Lanka v Kenya
England v Ireland
Netherlands v South Africa
Canada v Pakistan
New Zealand v Zimbabwe
Bangladesh v West Indies

Group A

1 Pakistan 4
2 Australia 4
3 Sri Lanka 2
4 New Zealand 2
5 Zimbabwe 2
6 Canada 0
7 Kenya 0

Group B

1 India 3
2 England 3
3 West Indies 2
4 South Africa 2
5 Bangladesh 2
6 Ireland 0
7 Netherlands 0

Wow, I didn’t see that draw coming. India and England. Jeeezzz. Nice Yellow cap Biz. :notworthy:

Call me “The Comeback Kid”! :wink: Now let’s see if I can hold on to that tenuous lead.

Ha ha. Doesn’t help that I’m backing the Black Caps to go all the way and lift the cup.
SLAP!
Thanks, I needed that.

Inevitably - given the format of the competition - most of the games have been non-events as far as contests go but I’ve been enjoying them thanks to that free coverage on espn. It’s been years since I’ve seen live cricket on TV. I usually have to make do with following games (including 20/20, IPL, ODIs and test matches) on cricinfo and sometimes on internet radio broadcasts.

Ha ha. Doesn’t help that I’m backing the Black Caps to go all the way and lift the cup.
SLAP!
Thanks, I needed that.

Inevitably - given the format of the competition - most of the games have been non-events as far as contests go but I’ve been enjoying them thanks to that free coverage on espn. It’s been years since I’ve seen live cricket on TV. I usually have to make do with following games (including 20/20, IPL, ODIs and test matches) on cricinfo and sometimes on internet radio broadcasts.[/quote]

Almas, there this cool site that streams the games for free. Not good quality, but watchable nonetheless.
myp2p.eu/competition.php?com … ne=cricket
Enjoy.

[quote]Almas, there this cool site that streams the games for free. Not good quality, but watchable nonetheless.
myp2p.eu/competition.php?com … ne=cricket
Enjoy.[/quote]
Thanks Mr Drak! I’ve just bookmarked the site as a favourite.
And no worries about the quality; it just means I’ll have to put on the ultra-strength Beer Goggles. :slight_smile:

It was a tie not a draw.

You’re right! Should be tied.

BTW, today’s game might be the shortest in history. Let’s see what happens. Kenya vs Sri Lanka.